Page 351 of 884 FirstFirst ... 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 ... LastLast
Results 8,751 to 8,775 of 22093
    If work allows, I'll drive up for this showing:

(Why can't I embed Vimeo links???)

When: Wednesday December 11, 2019, 7-10 pm

Where: Rialto Theater, 10 W. Main St. Bozeman, MT 59715

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Dang, that is tough scoring. Next you are going to tell me Mr K doesn't count as a "true" double diamond.
    backcountry is even worse....no rating at all. it’s like a giant beginner area

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    If work allows, I'll drive up for this showing:

(Why can't I embed Vimeo links???)

When: Wednesday December 11, 2019, 7-10 pm

Where: Rialto Theater, 10 W. Main St. Bozeman, MT 59715
    Ha, cool, Wade was in my HS class.

Did you work with him on this?

I donated some footage, so all credit goes to him for piecing this together. I skied with him and Kelly when they were groms, they were probably being coached at the time by Kevin, Tony, Dan, Mickey, Mike, etc as I'd occasionally do laps with the kids and have fun. Memory is a bit hazy though from that time period though. Lotta good buds in that teaser that I know...never met Scot though! Maybe he will be there...

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MrPow View Post
    Planning to hit up Big Sky for 4 days. I will have an SUV. Hoping to base myself at Bozeman. Hows the drive to the resort assuming stormy conditions? Heard Mr Pence had some some trouble last year getting to Big Sky.
    You don’t need an SUV or 4WD. I live up here in the Mountain Village and I just drive a 2WD sedan with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    You don’t need an SUV or 4WD. I live up here in the Mountain Village and I just drive a 2WD sedan with no problems.

That needs like 5 asterisks. The canyon is extremely variable with both traffic and weather/road surface conditions. While it’s totally safe to drive most vehicles up the canyon on a good day, you need to be familiar with the turns and animals and such, and used to the way traffic works in the canyon.

I’ve driven Bozeman to big sky at least 1000 times in the past 12 years. I’ve seen enough rolled cars, pileups, and fatalities to know it’s not just another drive. It’s actually one of the deadliest roads in the lower 48.

So yeah. Drive slow.

Since you're the Mayor and all, is it safe for us valley-dwellers to assume it's one of these?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1982-cadillac-fleetwood-brougham.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	302498

Close, but wrong color. My car is white. Talisman took this photo of me the other day while I was out and about performing my duties:

Name:  Image1573912377.925578.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  127.1 KB

Getting back to the guy asking if his SUV could get from Bozo to the Really Big Resort, if you have good tires you will be fine. I currently have Blizzaks, but have used X-ice in the past. 4WD is no substitute for good tires.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by MrPow View Post
    Planning to hit up Big Sky for 4 days. I will have an SUV. Hoping to base myself at Bozeman. Hows the drive to the resort assuming stormy conditions? Heard Mr Pence had some some trouble last year getting to Big Sky.

Give a shout when you are out this way.

The canyon isn't bad as long as you follow a couple of guidelines.

Get in the train, don't tail gate and don't dawdle, drive with the speed of train or use the turnouts, there are lots of them, turn on your headlights.
    Last edited by Marmot or Fox; 11-16-2019 at 08:43 AM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Close, but wrong color. My car is white. Talisman took this photo of me the other day while I was out and about performing my duties
    Speaking of duties, did you ever freeze brand these two with "I skied with Harry" tramp stamps?

Name:  Eastern Block.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  87.6 KB

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    Give a shout when you are out this way.

The canyon isn't bad as long as you follow a couple of guidelines.

Get in the train, don't tail gate and don't dawdle, drive with the speed of train or use the turnouts, there are lots of them, turn on your headlights.
    Turnouts are your friend. I had no shame in using them when I was towing 12,000 pounds of tile down the canyon and didn't feel like driving stupid fast. Everyone loves the guy who uses turnouts vs the guy who passes 30 empty ones and has a goat rope of 50 cars behind him.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Also, will Zero Gully and Tits Up now be quadruple diamonds lol? Is the Little now infinity black diamond?

<>4

Edit to add, I might have to lay in a supply of stick on 4s to elevate the trail difficulty round here.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

question poster: just remember the source of this answer is from the mayor of big sky and his 2wd is not moving around under its own power

Name:	7D157E69-1FAE-435E-AD47-D5A241BDCB0A.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	961.1 KB 
ID:	302567
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post

Harry heading out for a morning of quiet fishing along Grayling Creek in YNP. The 2 WD in winter has matched Muck boots & green Freeride System jackets on each corner.

Harry heading out for a morning of quiet fishing along Grayling Creek in YNP. The 2 WD in winter has matched Muck boots & green Freeride System jackets on each corner.
    When the going gets tough for the 16x16footdrive harry has a box of yaktrax in the trunk. Instead of shutting off AC for turboboost he feeds them trucker speed. GIDDYUP!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Turnouts are your friend. I had no shame in using them when I was towing 12,000 pounds of tile down the canyon and didn't feel like driving stupid fast. Everyone loves the guy who uses turnouts vs the guy who passes 30 empty ones and has a goat rope of 50 cars behind him.
    Man, ain't that the truth?! No shame in utilizing them. Weird how few people actually do, though. Even as a local, I'd use them all the time when someone came up behind me and wanted to go faster than me. Tourists are even MORE reluctant to use them though. It would take a mile long string of cars getting pissed off, flashing lights and laying on their horns for someone to FINALLY get the hint and pull over (which was usually near the exit of the canyon on either end). Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    I’ve driven Bozeman to big sky at least 1000 times in the past 12 years. I’ve seen enough rolled cars, pileups, and fatalities to know it’s not just another drive. It’s actually one of the deadliest roads in the lower 48.
    That's what's hilarious. It technically is one of the deadliest highways in the country, but it's not really the road itself. It's all the morans out there that make it so. The road is really not THAT big of a deal. It's more that people are idiots and simply don't know how to drive. People are either trying to hot rod through there on an icy day or they're going so slow it causes someone to just about blow a blood vessel and pass them in a very unsafe spot.

If anything, it's a super mellow angle getting up to Big Sky. I don't know why it spooks people so badly. Always cracked me up seeing the tourists whiteknuckling it all the way up there, going like 20 mph, and of course refusing to use a single turnout. When I'd finally get a chance to (safely) pass, the look of sheer terror on their faces would always make me laugh.

Some good tips above by our resident experts. Just get in the train, chill out, and don't be afraid to use the damned turnouts. No 4WD necessary. In the years that I lived up there, I drove the canyon ONCE on a day that 4WD was really nice to have, and that's because the plows hadn't made it out yet that morning and I was going through like 8" of slop snow the whole way down to Bozeman. That's super rare, though. Typically it's incredibly well maintained.

Speaking of duties, did you ever freeze brand these two with "I skied with Harry" tramp stamps?
    Ask your sister to show you hers.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    question poster: just remember the source of this answer is from the mayor of big sky and his 2wd is not moving around under its own power

Hahaha. True story! Last time I went over to his condo, he must've had half a dozen beautiful snow goddesses feeding him grapes, showering him with wine, rubbing him down with olive oil and honey, fanning him with giant palm leaves, you name it. I think he's graduated from the mayor of Big Sky to the Emperor! So yup. Apparently 4WD not required to be a pimp.
    Last edited by AustinFromSA; 11-16-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Ask your sister to show you hers.
    She did, how do you think the latest cycle of envy and jealous bickering started?

Close, but wrong color. My car is white. Talisman took this photo of me the other day while I was out and about performing my duties:

Name:  Image1573912377.925578.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  127.1 KB
    Damn, I was pretty close. I should've known it would be something that classy. Do you sometimes go by Boss Harry?

In other news, it looks like the additional lift on Flat Iron should spin this season. Haul rope and communication cable are in place.
    Name:  Haul Rope FI JPG.JPG
Views: 1167
Size:  130.2 KB

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

FYI: road thru canyon is currently closed

Edit: still closed, been 3 hours now

Edit: road now open, phone service in Karst area is out

Last edited by Harry; 11-18-2019 at 09:47 AM.

What’s the word on Red Lodge this weekend? Anyone know how much will be open?