Page 339 of 884 FirstFirst ... 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 ... LastLast
Results 8,451 to 8,475 of 22093
    Yeah, back in the early 80s it was fine. When my wife was a kid they went up to big sky a few times a month and she could tell how close they were getting just by how many beers her dad had drank. Mind you she was looking through the truck cab window from the back trailer so not exact science.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBill View Post
    http://www.choteauacantha.com/news/a...9e71cc128.html

Choteau resident Charles Hlavac, the former manager of the Teton Pass Ski Resort, has purchased the ski area west of Choteau from owner Nick Wood of New Zealand and several other investors.

Hlavac, who managed the ski area from 2010 to 2017, announced on Sept. 6 that he had completed the purchase of the ski area assets through a contract-for-deed with Wood’s resort company and hopes to be able to open the ski area, located on the Helena-Lewis and Clark National Forest about 25 miles west of Choteau, for the 2019-20 ski season.
    Also heard they are going to change the name, which is a good idea given the popularity of the "other" Teton Pass among skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Then they went "reasonable and prudent"
    I thought this was the coolest thing when I lived in Missoula. It’s basically “how fast can you get your POS to go on a straightaway” . I got pulled over doing 110 in an Isuzu trooper. The slightest breeze wouldve probably blown me off the road. I got a ticket for $25 for reckless driving or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    In this case the driver was most certainly drinking, in fact he might have even had one between his legs..
    I thought that WAS the law. As long as you had your beer in a cup holder you were ok. Between the legs is dangerous and there’s a spill hazard. I honestly recall that was told to us by a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBill View Post
    http://www.choteauacantha.com/news/a...9e71cc128.html

Choteau resident Charles Hlavac, the former manager of the Teton Pass Ski Resort, has purchased the ski area west of Choteau from owner Nick Wood of New Zealand and several other investors.

Hlavac, who managed the ski area from 2010 to 2017, announced on Sept. 6 that he had completed the purchase of the ski area assets through a contract-for-deed with Wood’s resort company and hopes to be able to open the ski area, located on the Helena-Lewis and Clark National Forest about 25 miles west of Choteau, for the 2019-20 ski season.
    Great news, Charles is a quality guy and will do a good job. Hopefully the snow shows up.

I'm pretty sure the reason Montana ended the open-container policy was that the feds were threatening to withhold Federal Highway dollars unless open containers were outlawed.
    Exactamundo!
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Great news, Charles is a quality guy and will do a good job. Hopefully the snow shows up.!
    Would be an awesome venue for a MT mini-summit if it does - Old Time Hockey!

Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Letting my JONG show here: I have seen a peak summit with some sort of giant white object on top of it when looking south towards the park from various high points in the Madisons and Gallatins. Had a great view of it from the east side of the Gallatins yesterday. WTF am Iooking at? A telescope? A radio repeater?

It’s probably Sawtelle Peak, with a NORAD radar installation on top, according to my sources

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

be nice if they had a nexrad on there, too.

View right now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1885.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	765.1 KB 
ID:	294035

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

That is the Eaglehead installation, radio relay or some such story. Probably really used to communicate with the Mother Ship.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Nvm

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    It’s probably Sawtelle Peak, with a NORAD radar installation on top, according to my sources
    Yup, I think that's about right. It can actually be seen pretty clearly from Hwy 20 when you're driving toward Island Park.

There's a very similar installation on Snowbank Mountain outside of Cascade, ID. Great late season skiing up there: start from the top next to a radome, ski down, then start skinning.

Name:	mxpvPzGIqr61-fHHDS5uPnrY6uNxQ_hE0vLdO1_BPRM-2048x1850.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	576.0 KB 
ID:	294053

That is the Eaglehead installation, radio relay or some such story. Probably really used to communicate with the Mother Ship.
    Looking at maps this makes the most sense. Sawtelle too far for how clear I could see this thing. Looks like a big white shipping container on a peak.

Could be the gear on Twin Peaks South, just NE of Ramshorn. The box on Eaglehead looks smaller. Closer, though.

Eaglehead:

Name:	eaglehead 1.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	362.8 KB 
ID:	294064

Twin:

Name:	twin pk south 1.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	294065

I am surprised this has not come up here.....

The Gallatin County Planning and Zoning Commission postponed approval of 265 housing units south of Big Sky on Thursday over concerns about how the development would impact the Gallatin River.

The proposed development is off U.S. Highway 191 between Lone Mountain Trail and Michener Creek Road.

It would have 130 apartments above first-floor retail spaces and 135 single-family homes clustered in groups with shared open space, garages and parking areas. The development would also include a hotel and trails connecting to the larger Big Sky trail system. The gravel pit now on the site would be redeveloped and about 110 acres of the 175-acre property would remain open space.

The developer, Big Sky Rock LLC, said the units, which would be built in stages over the next 10 to 15 years, would be affordable and provide much-needed workforce housing for year-round residents of Big Sky. Big Sky Rock LLC didn’t specify how it would ensure the units serve the target population.

The main sticking point for the project was the developer’s proposal to serve the entire development with several shared on-site septic systems.

The developer said each septic system would have a flow of less than 5,000 gallons per day, which wouldn’t require a Montana Department of Environmental Quality discharge permit. However, if all wastewater infrastructure were centralized, there would be a large enough daily flow that a discharge permit would be required. To obtain a discharge permit, developers must comply with requirements, including regular water monitoring.

Members of the Planning and Zoning Commission expressed skepticism that septic systems in such a dense development would best protect the nearby waterways. They postponed consideration of the project until they have more information about alternative ways to manage wastewater in the area.

Big Sky Rock LLC said it would provide the information the commission needs to make a decision and is working with the DEQ on the septic system design. The developer also said it would join a centralized system if one were created in the area and noted that it can’t move forward without DEQ approval.

The Gallatin Local Water Quality District submitted concerns about overloading and maintaining the septic systems and said they could pose a threat to the nearby Gallatin River and Michener Creek.

Steve Johnson, a member of the Gallatin Canyon/Big Sky Zoning Advisory Committee, which green-lighted the development before it reached the Gallatin County Planning and Zoning Commission, said he too is hesitant about the proposed septic system.

He said Big Sky residents are now looking at forming a water and sewer district that would create a centralized system with a wastewater treatment plant in the Gallatin Canyon area. As development continues, a district would be a more viable and environmentally friendly way to serve residents than the method of having septic systems for each property, he said.

“Our interest is in seeing something done the right way,” he said. “As has often been the case in a rapidly developing area like Big Sky, development is starting to get ahead of the infrastructure to support it.”

Guy Alsentzer, executive director of the Upper Missouri Waterkeeper, voiced concerns that the proposed septic system could pollute the Gallatin River. He urged the Planning and Zoning Commission to think long-term about the decisions necessary to protect waterways as development continues in Big Sky.

That dirt pimp is a lying mofo. The developer says the system will flow less than 5,000 gallons per day, so it will not need a permit..."

Go look at the Firelight Condo's and their failed septic. They were bragging that they saved all that money by not hooking up to the sewer district, and now they are begging to hookup to it since their huge septic field failed.

Why did it fail ? They used industry norms instead of ski town norms. If a 1-bedroom unit they planned for 2 people, if a 2-bedroom unit they planned on 4 people. The reality in a ski town is 5 people in a one bedroom and 10 to 12 in a 2-bedroom. No wonder the Firelights system failed, it was way too small.

While I strongly support "affordable" housing, they need a much better plan for their sewage.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Yep. Took an interesting CE class in June with members of the GRTF, County, Engineers, Hydrologists, etc. There is no way around it. The river is getting fucked already. There is no way around the necessity of a legit upgrade/new treatment plant.

^^^ I just finished helping on a new Treatment Facility near the bottom of 6-Shooter.

Freaking expensive as hell and the treatment levels render the "effluent" clean enough to drink and far cleaner than what is in the nearby creek.

Can't release it into live water no matter how clean it is.

Currently the treated water will be sprayed during the summer (golf course etc) and allowed to evaporate.

The old (15 year) treatment plant was pretty damn good, then they got these floating island for their treatment pond that pretty much float in the middle and eat the nutrients. That alone lowers the nutrient levels by over 50%.

Wastewater is an interesting as hell field.

The developer says the system will flow less than 5,000 gallons per day, so if they have several smaller systems they can circumvent most regulation and save a lot of money while not giving a fuck about the ground water or the river..."
    FIFY

I am surprised this has not come up here.....
    Seems like a no brainer to me!

Not sure why its been ok to compromise the watershed and sustainability of the workforce for 40 years on behalf of the development of extravagant homes around Town Center, MLB, YC, SP and everything else but someone wants to build a modestly priced mixed use neighborhood and all of the sudden its a big problem.

Since nothing gets done around here without conflicting interests I guess Altman should have had the foresight to plant minions on all of the different special district boards.

Wastewater is an interesting as hell field.
    Combining engineering and biology is cool for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    Seems like a no brainer to me!

Not sure why its been ok to compromise the watershed and sustainability of the workforce for 40 years on behalf of the development of extravagant homes around Town Center, MLB, YC, SP and everything else but someone wants to build a modestly priced mixed use neighborhood and all of the sudden its a big problem.
    It is not and has not been OK for some time now, last summers Algae bloom in the Gallatin for several miles downstream from Big Sky was the final camel to break the straws back.

Pretty much everything up on the North Side goes to wastewater treatment now, at least 1/2 of the Y/C as well and the same with S/P. I don't know this developer but his attempt to slide around regulations by building several septic systems just under the regulated capacity rings a lot of alarm bells. And who really can guarantee that these will be "Modestly" priced?

Another viewpoint:

https://www.uppermissouriwaterkeeper...J3kZdi6M2e4UMA

Can someone explain to me the difference between Bridger Bowl the non-profit business, the non-profit Bridger Bowl Foundation, and the Bridger Bowl Association?

I've fallen down a rabbit hole in an attempt to understand how they're running their operation.

Afaik, the foundation is the tax-exempt donation conduit.... The association is the community involvement mechanism (vote for board members who run the business, ask questions in a civil setting).

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Could be the gear on Twin Peaks South, just NE of Ramshorn. The box on Eaglehead looks smaller. Closer, though.

Eaglehead:

Name:	eaglehead 1.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	362.8 KB 
ID:	294064

Twin:

Name:	twin pk south 1.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	294065
    Actually I think you are right. Twin Peaks South makes a little more sense from where I was up the valley. Something about random unmanned structures on tops of mountains really intrigues me for some reason.