Page 378 of 402 FirstFirst ... 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 ... LastLast
Results 9,426 to 9,450 of 10041
    Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    What does this mean and who specifically are you talking about?
    Well..... I did see an invincible blonde patroller with a big smile at the top of Challenger at about 12:40. Visibility was improving a bit and she and her teammates were heading up to try and get Zone 1 of Headwaters open. Why? Because they still give a shit. Big time thanks to all of em.

I like skiing big lines but doing it in the middle of the winter, particularly this winter, isn't my thing. Maybe I'm hyper risk-averse or just a wimp?
    Or maybe you have figured out what works for you. The guy who triggered that slide is a long time BB skier who has had a few dances with the beast. One day he may not be so fortunate but that is his call. And NO, I would not have skied that line under any circumstance.

Harry, thanks for the early report, it was just enough to get me to re-evaluate the computer model and decide to drive down. I am toasted but Challenger, Alder/Cold Spring skied very well.
    Ooof!

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    . The bar for risk management here for many people (again: no one in particular, but ski tracks show that these people exist) is set in such a way that the desire to ski consequential terrain outweighs anything else.
    But is that a problem?

Ah, I see Bunion made the point already and much more eloquently.

Friday, new snow, light crowds, and tons of low hanging fruit. I can dig it.

Met up with Talisman and followed him around through some of his stashes.

Think we even had a Bunion sighting in K Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    But is that a problem?

Ah, I see Bunion made the point already and much more eloquently.
    I think it is but I won't go into why. Having said all that I've said, I would never support limiting access or taking away the option for people to make their own choices with regard to how they choose to manage risk. However, no one is beyond criticism no matter how long they've been around, whether the criticism is right or wrong or just plain dumb. I've been all three of those things and will be again without any doubt.

Bunion is really good at making solid points in a succinct way.

This morning at 6800 feet above sea level it is 12*F, no new snow and calm wind.

Noon update: sunshine and full lift corrals. Time to get after snowshoe gnar and work on a home project.
    Last edited by Talisman; 01-18-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Couldn't find my password after I cleared my cookies

Swimmy thanks again for showin us jongs the schlasman side. Albeit just for a lap. Riding that fine line between being too tuckered and if you don't hit it this year, you'll be a year older when ya do. Safe to say that was the best skiing I've had comin from the EC.

Harry, sorry I couldn't make it down. Chompin at the bit for my return.I'll ski ya next time.

Oops. What I meant to say is Montana sucks.
    Stay far far away😁

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Turns out flirting with winter conditions is not limited to the Bridgers. This from KBZK:

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK — A little more than a week ago, a Yellowstone National Park Search and Rescue team pulled a man to safety from nearly 900 down in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Dave Christensen, 55, of Winamac, Indiana was there illegally.

Yellowstone National Park officials said the rescue of Christensen was difficult and dangerous. “It took four 600-foot ropes, said Canyon District Ranger Klint Powell who served as the Incident Commander for the rescue. Powell said it was clear Christensen intended to attempt to scale the cliff face all along. Powell said, “He had the gear, had a rope, had an ice axe.”

Powell used a unique method to get access to the canyon, which is closed to normal vehicles in the winter months. Most people can only access interior parts of the park on a guided snowmobile or slowcoach tour. But some are allowed to get permits for unguided trips into the park so long as they know and follow park rules. Christensen obtained one of those permits.

He and a friend snowmobiled to Lookout Point where Christensen tried to rappel to the bottom while his friend waited above with a two way radio. But Christensen made a big mistake in planning his adventure. “It was 850 feet down to the river, I think his rope was only 360 feet,” said Powell.

So Christensen jumped off his rope and scrambled to the river but he couldn’t make it back to the rope. Powell noted, “He had to go through drifts up to five feet high.”

Weather was also a problem. As is often the case, the canyon was windy and cold and a snow storm was moving in. Christensen radioed his friend asking for help. That’s when a ranger led Search and Rescue crew of eleven from both Canyon and Old Faithful rushed in.

One expert climber was lowered to the stranded man. “It was a long slow haul,” said Powell. Besides the worsening weather, there were other big obstacles. The volcanic rock in the canyon breaks easily making the cliffs dangerous.

Powell said, “There’s always potential for avalanche danger as well.” It took 6 hours to complete the rescue.“ There were times where they would fall head first into the drifts while we’re still pulling up,” said Powell. He added, “What makes this place special is its wildness, but it’s got to be respected.”
    What a douche move...and thus comes an end to the Non Guided Snowmobile Permit Program. We have been lucky enough to win the lottery for these permits 2 of the last 3 years. Its awesome to be able to go into the park without a guide if you know how to proceed with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSkyfan View Post
    What a douche move...and thus comes an end to the Non Guided Snowmobile Permit Program. We have been lucky enough to win the lottery for these permits 2 of the last 3 years. Its awesome to be able to go into the park without a guide if you know how to proceed with respect.
    You don't think the NPS will just have a simple quiz to qualify for the lottery. Something like: a 360 foot long rope is long enough for an 850 foot belay. True or False?

eh, who wants to putt putt 4 stroke pigs around, anyway..

Bluebird

Swimmy, great to run into to you at BB today. Nice pic, too. It was real good up there today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82966054_10157968468935030_4444887153851236352_o.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	710.0 KB 
ID:	311351

edit to correct:

Yesterday's new snow and strong wind near Bozeman increased avalanche danger. Today recent natural avalanche activity was seen in the Bridger Range, and skiers in Hyalite intentionally broke a cornice and triggered a substantial avalanche on a wind loaded slope.

Photo is of a natural cornice triggered avalanche in Argentina bowl early today or late yesterday. The deep crown broke out where it did not avalanche earlier this week when a skier triggered the large slide to the right (filled in by snow). Expect wind loaded slopes to be dangerous for at least a couple days.
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 01-18-2020 at 09:37 PM.
    Ooof!

Saw that one this morning on the drive up and just saw GNFAC's report on it.

edit: Wind slab, yikes.
    Last edited by idahospud; 01-18-2020 at 11:19 PM.

Name:	5441C02C-126D-42F9-ABE6-6D9A12D5FCDC.jpg 
Size:	441.9 KB 
ID:	311352

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Swimmy, great to run into to you at BB today.

And tough week for Argentina Bowl.

6am driveway report: half inch overnight, wind calm, temp +19F

I am wearing plaid today, ask for change

Name:	IMG_1304.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	311399

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Wife and I are heading your way Harry.

We are going to destroy some groomers.

I should also be out in my plaid onesie to practice ski ballet in the sunshine. Will keep and eye out for Harry and Mr & Mrs swimmy. Fingers crossed that the football games keep people at home to preserve the deep new 1.5 inch snowfall.

Mid afternoon update:

Beautiful sunny day in MT with some fresh snow. Caught up with Harry for a few laps off of Swifty, Challenger, 6-shooter/Lone Tree in the morning to track out some tree runs. The mountain was quieter than yesterday. Shedhorn went down for the count in the early afternoon requiring a return from Dakota on a busy Middle Road. The tram was open and Liberty Bowl reopened.
    Last edited by Talisman; 01-19-2020 at 03:16 PM.

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Fun skiing today with Talisman and Mrs. Talisman. Did a Challenger lap then did Comet to the North Side. Moonlight tree runs were fun, soft snow and great viz.

Note: Mrs. Talisman rips. Very impressed.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Had a nice couple tram laps in the sunshine today. Was pleased to find Rockville open for some funkdog bump skiing. Kinda made my day for some weird reason.

Beautiful, mellow day on the mtn. Stayed on the lower mtn and cruised groomers all day. Sometimes that can get boring but not when I'm following her around.

Nice day to spend doing laps up at Lick Creek.

Name:	P1000487.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	704.0 KB 
ID:	311501

Name:	IMG_4548.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	848.5 KB 
ID:	311502

Name:	P1000500.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1,014.5 KB 
ID:	311503

Name:	IMG_20200119_173821_559.jpg 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	311509

Had a good day out east

Big Sky counterbalanced yesterday's Shedhorn lift closure in the afternoon by having Ramcharger (El Ocho es roto) go down late this morning. A short shuffle along Low Dog Road and the Thunder Wolf was still turning allowing the very few to enjoy a quiet Andesite. The morning sun, warm temperatures and light crowds made for an enjoyable ski half day.

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

^^ MLK Day means no need for a gubermint beaurucrat/local dignitary, so I (a) slept in, and (b) went skiing. Legs are toast from yesterday, not sure if that’s from wearing plaid or trying to keep up with a ripping Mrs. Talisman.

Posting today from Shedhorn Yurt, did a Hanging Valley lap over on Dakota, then three Dude Park laps on Shedhorn. After I finish my brat I am probably headed to the Bavarian Forest for some laps before calling it a day.

FYI: brats at Shedhorn Yurt = mmm, mmm, gooood...

Name:	IMG_2419.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	311607

Name:	IMG_2421.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	311608

Name:	IMG_2424.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	311613

Name:	IMG_2425.jpg 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	311614

Name:	IMG_2426.jpg 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	311615

Last edited by Harry; 01-20-2020 at 02:30 PM.