Page 475 of 884 FirstFirst ... 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 ... LastLast
Results 11,851 to 11,875 of 22100
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodgge View Post
    I second this sentiment. I have friends and family that are already trying to plan ski trips here and elsewhere, and I can't help be in a bit of disbelief.
    It's hard for people like us to wrap our heads around because we are so damn spoiled. People living far from the mountains who go on a big ski trip every year are probably pulling their hair out. Imagine waiting all year since the last ski trip to go basically anywhere.

People who live here are like, "Whatever, I can go touring, etc." If you are in Cleveland or some place like that your only chance of doing anything cool this winter involves flying to a ski resort.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    It's hard for people like us to wrap our heads around because we are so damn spoiled. People living far from the mountains who go on a big ski trip every year are probably pulling their hair out. Imagine waiting all year since the last ski trip to go basically anywhere.

People who live here are like, "Whatever, I can go touring, etc." If you are in Cleveland or some place like that your only chance of doing anything cool this winter involves flying to a ski resort.
    It's still mind-boggling to me that people live in places like Cleveland. (Granted, I've actually never been to the Land of Cleve... might just be an amazing spot!?) I lasted exactly one year outside of the intermountain west with proximity to skiing amongst other things... and that was a really cool city (Austin, TX.) Positive vibes to those that fight the good fight for our national GDP and live in places I could never live.
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Fair point. I had a few years of my life go by nowhere near a ski resort, and pretty much lived ski trip to ski trip.

I feel like we'll know by the end of the calendar year if this lift served ski season is going to be salvageable or not
    If the BB rumor mill is correct about a 1500 person daily cap, the lift served season is already debatable for those who can primarily only ski on weekends. Then again, if everyone thought that... a guy can dream.

BB should release their policy, plenty of other hills their size and larger have already done so. I can only speak for myself, but I'm not particularly inclined to purchase a pass on the chance that said policy will severely limit the number of resort days I can get.

Refund, payment plan, et cetera - the end result is still being out a good chunk of money (even if temporarily) for what feels like a gamble at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    If the BB rumor mill is correct about a 1500 person daily cap, the lift served season is already debatable for those who can primarily only ski on weekends. Then again, if everyone thought that... a guy can dream.

BB should release their policy, plenty of other hills their size and larger have already done so. I can only speak for myself, but I'm not particularly inclined to purchase a pass on the chance that said policy will severely limit the number of resort days I can get.

Refund, payment plan, et cetera - the end result is still being out a good chunk of money (even if temporarily) for what feels like a gamble at this point.
    Yeah the midweek was a total gamble. Ideally I am working weekends and only skiing a couple days during the week. Gotta get about 8 days with Bridger midweek pass for it to be worth the price. Weekend warriors could have a tough go this season.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post

Either way I'm stoked I bought a light/skinny uphill oriented setup at the end of last season. I've never been a huge fan of those setups, but if I'm going to be skiing our nearby BC more often I'd much prefer that since it'll make the uphill go fast and be more fun on numerous lines with short vert.
    This is probably the ideal setup this year. Get a full on rando type setup, mash the skin track, look at pretty snow covered trees, ski some short hippy pow laps, get in killer shape, rinse, repeat.

That actually sounds like a great idea.

Strange - went to edit my post, but it somehow disappeared. Anyways, the gist was - Bridger's plans are eagerly awaited. I drop a kid at BSF so I can get a ski day in on the weekends, but if I can't get a reservation then the whole BSF thing makes less sense. Although who knows if BSF will even do lessons this year. Or even if putting kids in lessons is a good idea.

On another note - a lightweight touring setup might be the call this year for those that can swing it. I mean, our close in BC doesn't really have much vert. At least on a skinny ski you can maximize the fun on those smaller lines/get further away faster.

Oh and a bright spot - for us nordorks BSF putting in snowmaking at Lindley is rad. I'm personally stoked for more skate skiing this year when I only have an hour or two to kill.

This is probably the ideal setup this year. Get a full on rando type setup, mash the skin track, look at pretty snow covered trees, ski some short hippy pow laps, get in killer shape, rinse, repeat.

That actually sounds like a great idea.
    I have a lightweight set up that I put together for longer spring missions, but now find myself skiing it quite a bit all winter. It's sooooo much better on the uphill, and as long as you dial things back 10% or so on the downhill, there's very little to complain about. For just lapping pow at H. Rock or something, it's perfect.

Wholly agreed re: lightweight setups. I've been on a pair of BD Helios that I snagged from a buddy for the past few touring seasons and the weight reduction is no joke when it comes to how much more enjoyable a long, big day of touring is.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    It's still mind-boggling to me that people live in places like Cleveland.
    It's a damn good thing that they do.

If people living in the shitty places in America all decided to move to the nice places, we'd be WAY more fucked than we already are out here.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Wholly agreed re: lightweight setups. I've been on a pair of BD Helios that I snagged from a buddy for the past few touring seasons and the weight reduction is no joke when it comes to how much more enjoyable a long, big day of touring is.
    I used to be "all about the down" when it came to my backcountry equipment choices. Then I realized that half the time I never even made it to where I wanted to go, and if I did, I skied like shit because I was so tired.

Just to add my annoying 2 cents, I tried a rando light setup and hated it for everything besides the Beartooth Pass.

Get in good shape and you’ll appreciate a rockered mid weight ski and tech binder ... I know I do.

But the real question is: what setups are you guys using?

Mine:
    190cm Bibby tour
    Plum guides
    Vulcan boot

A light rando setup sounds like pain and suffering all around.

My setup is:

185cm BD Helio Carbon 105
    Dynafit Radicals
    Vulcan boots

Not light by rando standards, but it's enough to bang out days of 5k vert without destroying me.

The skis absolutely suck in chunder, though.

For what it's worth, inbounds I hate lightweight stuff. The heavier the ski, the better for skiing fast on variable snow. Weight = Dampness, it's simple F=MA high school physics.

In the backcountry:

My "heavy" set up:

Fischer Hannibal 106, G3 Zed, Scarpa F1...boot going to be replaced by something slightly beefier this season. Have skied this stuff inbounds a few times - does OK but you can't really charge.

My lighter setup:

Fischer Hannibal 95, G3 Zed, Scarpa Alien RS - about 3lbs lighter than my "heavy" stuff, which is a lot, especially in the spring, when the clock is ticking, and/or I might be carrying gear on my back at some point.

Regarding BSF...I think/know they have an agreement with BB for the kids. So they should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I wonder how the uncertainty regarding the Bridger cap has affected sales of Big Sky passes. You know, that place where they're just going to pile everybody in on top of each other and who gives a fuck.

Not to change the topic from BB speculation.....but it was beautiful day out in Copper City yesterday. Did a 16.25 mile loop with the wife. Rode Destroying Angel (clockwise), those first couple switchbacks were real loose / sketchy for my ability. Had to push on foot in a few spots but other then that it was a great day. That place really eats tires.

Yes, be thankful for what you have and the proximity of it all. I'm reminded of what I gave up by leaving Bozeman every winter.

And as unpopular as this may be; I'm still going to try and make another trip back this year. My ski season isn't complete unless I make the SWMT/JH pilgrimage.

Be well and think snow!

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    But the real question is: what setups are you guys using?
    My lightest and skinniest setup is 184 MTN 95 with MTN bindings. Rando guys would laugh at that as a heavyweight, but for me, it's "light" and makes some of our modest BC zones more interesting than they would be on my bigger/heavier setups (shift + 108 waist and tech + 117 waist)

I feel like the 95mm waist is the sweet spot for a bc ski that's pretty light, but also not scary to ski on. I think I also prefer a narrower/shorter ski with a bit heavier build, than say a fatter/longer ski of the same weight, with a lighter build.

I'm touring with 187 Hojis with Radicals. Not a "heavy" setup by any means. Freetour XT boots which kinda suck. Full rockered/reverse sucks on well used glazed over skin tracks though. A super light ski for the days when you know it's all about the 1 hour of fitness and zero chance of good turns would be cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I wonder how the uncertainty regarding the Bridger cap has affected sales of Big Sky passes. You know, that place where they're just going to pile everybody in on top of each other and who gives a fuck.
    Definitely talked about this with my buddy in big sky back in like April or May.....the concept that BS being so big they would have a better shot and crowd management and that BB would just have a harder time, and that it may turn some people south for "guaranteed" skiing.

I feel like the 95mm waist is the sweet spot for a bc ski that's pretty light, but also not scary to ski on. I think I also prefer a narrower/shorter ski with a bit heavier build, than say a fatter/longer ski of the same weight, with a lighter build.
    This is my thinking on it, too. 105mm underfoot is great and can do it all, but there are many situations where slightly narrower ski would excel.

I have been wanting to check out the Helio 105s, as they do have a good amount of rocker in the tips/tails. However, I currently lust after a Wildcat Tour 108. Would also like to give the Hoji Free boots or possibly Hoji Pros a try. The Tecnica Zero Gs have been on my list as well.

Maybe they've changed, but the generation of them that I have only has a noticeable tip rocker. Definitely makes them fun as hell in fresh snow. If your BSL is in the same ballpark as mine, I'd be happy to switch gear for a few laps this winter.

I'm perpetually looking at new boots, but my Vulcans fit like a glove and have a resale value that I'd guess is substantially less than $0 so they'll see another season. The Hoji Pros look amazing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Yes, be thankful for what you have and the proximity of it all. I'm reminded of what I gave up by leaving Bozeman every winter.

And as unpopular as this may be; I'm still going to try and make another trip back this year. My ski season isn't complete unless I make the SWMT/JH pilgrimage.

Be well and think snow!
    Can i be a stowaway? Fack i miss living in montana. Missed my annual trip back due to Covid and am itching to ski BS/BB again soon. PNWet just ain't the same!