Page 363 of 891 FirstFirst ... 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 ... LastLast
Results 9,051 to 9,075 of 22274
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Channeling the late wise Tone Capone to say... don't traverse into Mundy's, ya lazy fucks. Ski it from the top and don't scrape off all the snow all season long.
    I normally follow this rule, but right now you can't get to Mundy's south without traversing since everything above the traverse isn't filled in yet. Heckling traversers has long been a past time of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    Years ago when they first opened up slushman's I got cliffed out skier left of the Ravine. I believe they call it The Trap Door.

It was right after a storm and I got lured into the untracked, thigh deep turns. My gut sank the moment I realized why there were no tracks and it turned into one of the most terrifying experiences I've had at Bridger. I ended up jumping off to the side and fortunately made it w/o injury.

I'm a decent skier but that is way above my paygrade. God I love that mtn.
    Ha, Trap Door is a perfect little cliff though....if it wasn't for that little tree in the landing that makes you believe you will hit it upon landing.

Someone at Solitude yesterday was telling me how he's skied Solly forever and it was a rocky mountain. I told him it's nothing like BB or BS, but he didn't really want to understand how rocky some places are...Solitude isn't that rocky after all.

Quote Originally Posted by MT View Post
    Dug this out of the wayback machine

Attachment 306443
    Nice work!

MiCol is da man !

I received a nice Xmas present from Freeride Systems today. Quality gear from a quality dude.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Channeling the late wise Tone Capone to say... don't traverse into Mundy's, ya lazy fucks. Ski it from the top and don't scrape off all the snow all season long.
    Preach

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    I wish I'd taken a picture of this but that might have been cruel. Out on High T today at the top-ish of Phone Booth/Must Turn Left/your name of choice and across the gully from me was a kid maybe in his early 20s who shouted over to me.

"Is this skiable?" This was my first big, bright red flag waving gently in the breeze. If you have to ask, it's not.
    "Yeah, but I skied it yesterday and it wasn't good"
    "Do you think I could slide down it on my butt?" A second red flag is raised.
    "That's a terrible idea, don't do that"
    "My friend climbed down the cliff but I don't want to" Three flags and you're out. Am I going watch a child earn a Darwin award?
    "That's an even worse idea, don't do that either. Why don't you traverse back out toward me?"

After some more back and forth, little dudebro couldn't be convinced to keep his skis on and proceeded to start the traverse back out while carrying his skis under one arm. I have no idea how he even wound up there considering the exposure he had to cross just to get there. Near as I can tell, though, he's not dead and when I skied out, his friend was out on the apron, also not dead.
    Back from warm and wet Atlanta, got some golf in and watched my older sister graduate with a PHD from UG, proud of the little old lady who at 65 was willing to do the work and make the sacrifices required along with her husband who was willing to support the effort for the past 7 years.

Spud, FWIW every patroller at BB carries a rope and the required rigging to help someone like your Darwin candidate and they get a lot of practice at it. If they can't make it happen with what they have on hand they are able to call for a Sprint Pack with plenty of gear to get someone out of a shitty spot.

My 1st year there I observed a rather fetching young lass be roped back up from the cliffs below the football field, just above probably a 250' free fall had she not managed to stop before the terminal air.

Stoke at full throttle, brain in neutral.

Good to be back home.

Muted, I completely forgot Kornfed, yes, he was a fucking complete pain in the ass back in the day. He was also a very talented and utterly fearless rider and ripped the shit out of some very bold lines. Between him and Schutzy it was a toss up who had the bigger gonads.

Now both have kids and are pretty fun to play "remember when" with. No hard feelings whatsoever.
    Last edited by Marmot or Fox; 12-17-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    Muted, I completely forgot Kornfed, yes, he was a fucking complete pain in the ass back in the day. He was also a very talented and utterly fearless rider and ripped the shit out of some very bold lines. Between him and Schutzy it was a toss up who had the bigger gonads.

Now both have kids and are pretty fun to play "remember when" with. No hard feelings whatsoever.
    Bought a kayak from Schutzy last year... then realized all of the photos/photo credits of his in Turner's "Montana Surf," book. It's just awesome that there are so many "sleeper" local badasses almost anywhere you go. I'd be curious to hear Kornfed's real last name via PM.

And in four days, this thread will celebrate its 8th birthday. Thanks to all who contribute to the history and stoke. Here's some doggy/rooster stoke from last weekend:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6117.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	655.0 KB 
ID:	306532
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    Spud, FWIW every patroller at BB carries a rope and the required rigging to help someone like your Darwin candidate and they get a lot of practice at it. If they can't make it happen with what they have on hand they are able to call for a Sprint Pack with plenty of gear to get someone out of a shitty spot.

My 1st year there I observed a rather fetching young lass be roped back up from the cliffs below the football field, just above probably a 250' free fall had she not managed to stop before the terminal air.
    Yikes. This fella wasn't in that sort of situation but he was easily running the risk of ending his season with the options he proposed. Never a dull moment up at BB!

PM sent, I was updating my sister and Bro-in law on the antics of your 2 flea-bags.

They are awesome canines.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Yeah that traverse is a little heinous now. Opening weekend it was thin but doable, yesterday it was about as bad as I have ever seen it, although worth it because Mundy's south was skiing pretty good.
    Ha, I know a couple dudes who tried that yesterdayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191217-172023_Chrome.jpeg 
Views:	222 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	306543

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Awesome

That was pretty fun to watch, reminded me of Heavy Hitting Films' Parental Advisory in all the best ways.

That was awesome. So much fun to watch.

Nice touch was at the very end of the credits was an in memory of Tone Capone (RIP).

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by MT View Post
    Here you go:
    I broke a hip just watching that. Nice work.

Meanwhile, if you need me I'll be over in Bradley's slashing hippy turns

Skied the Headwaters for the first time yesterday, along with the high traverse off that lift. Good times in the Firehole.

Today was a great day.

I was in Atlanta to watch Sis graduate but also to mull over the possibility of relocation to the SE to be closer to the family. We are a small bunch, no kids/grandkids so this line ends when my sisters and I do.

I have been wrestling with what I want to do and probably a bit more than whiny now that I do not ski every day for $$$.

I have told friends that I am sort of over skiing and the scene and winter etc. And if I can't ski at the level I once did I might as well not ski at all.

Today was a good hard kick in the nutz.

This a.m. I was dealing with moving my business from one computer system to another and it went ok. Around 10:30 I pushed my ass to get out of the house and drive down to the really big for some fresh air, I had no thoughts that the skiing would be worth a shit.

It probably didn't hurt that I have gone about 9 days w/o any edibles. I grabbed a big cookie and ate it as I was leaving the house. 45 mins. later I was at my locker and basically a mess. I got to my locker at LMS and was really just trying to figure out how to get dressed when a posse of shop rats came down from a ski break. Old people are invisible so I was able to get ready as they were getting un-ready and heading back to work.

The stoke level was infectious and I was reminded of my misspent youth as a ski bum doing just what they were doing. It pushed me from a good mood into a great mood.

I headed out the door and hopped onto Swifty, a couple of MILFs shared the chair and again I was invisible. I listened to them talk about a friend of their who was pretty much the Town Pump to hear them tell, too bad I didn't get a name.

I wanted to just fuck around so I headed to Iron Horse and ended up on the chair with some young guy. We rode in silence until I broke the ice and started chatting, he was maybe 18 and moved to the big with his parents in 2006. We didn't go that deep but I assumed they had gotten sick of the NE and made the change. We talked about what its like being a kid growing up in a ski town etc.

I left him and skied to a couple of construction projects I am on (mileage write off!) and then rode 6-shooter, I saw the Lovely Ms Nest but she was working. I headed to Lone Tree and took a long lap. I had so much fun doing high speed GS turns down Horseshoe that I decided to rinse and repeat. I lapped around and took a trip down Lookout Ridge. For as little snow as we have in settled base the coverage was decent and it was what I would call a durable surface.

I was starting to get a big hungry so I was going to head to the Madison for a nosh when I realized I didn't have any $$. I drifted back and up Challenger and then to the base area. Partly cloudy, partly sunny, not very cold, excellent snow. It was about 1:50 so I decided to have a look at the Tram line. It was uncrowded everywhere else so why not?

3 car wait, Liberty (Stutzmans) only, but a lot of familiar faces. I headed up in a car with a couple of ex-co-workers, we caught up on doings and then I skied. The coverage was adequate, the snow was good, the light was amazing.

I finished up with a lap up Andesite and back to my locker.

I am going to break my families hearts but I still have a few more seasons in me.

No appreciable snow in the forecast for the next 7 days, the mountain has thin coverage and the hordes are about to arrive. It will be a brutal Christmas but today was a Gem.
    Last edited by Marmot or Fox; 12-19-2019 at 09:16 PM.

Island in the stream.

^^^^^^
    That's excellent, NoBu.

Nothing reminds me of Living the Dream, like a trip to Dixie.

Stellar post.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Pretty sure I'm the only person glad it's not dumping. No pass is fucking brutal. Soon hopefully.

Also, my friends 25lb dog spent the last few days alone in the forest up sourdough and was found alive today happy and tired from his 3 day adventure!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I should be skiing around BS Dec 27/28/29 - ish. Would be fun to make turns and tip beers. I’ll send up the bat signal when I get into town

Thanks for the write up NB. That was great to read. Maybe see you at the really big this weekend if you are there. We have no expectations but it's always worth it. Horseshoe and Lookout Ridge...I love lapping those runs on down days. Can't wait to get back on the Moonlight side.

Meanwhile skating stoke has been high around Helltown. Guess the dry days are good for something anyway.

The final kicker was taking the gaper train back to the Gold Lot.

I grabbed a seat and was waiting for the shuttle to pull out, not in a hurry.

Local looking Snowboarder maybe 30 comes down the stairs but doesn't load so the driver is waiting for him. Then I see what he (snowboarder) is waiting for.

She is about 6 years old, and stoked as hell. She gets to the shuttle he gives her a boost and sits down beside her, Dad and daughter look like they had a fine day.

The next generation.

Probably be there on Sunday and almost certainly on x-mas day.