Page 292 of 334 FirstFirst ... 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 ... LastLast
Results 7,276 to 7,300 of 8327
    I know if he kept pass prices steady or even dropped them a bit that would be huge for me. A family discount would be nice too. I mean a family of 4 can ski A-Basin all season for less than a grand. ALL FOUR PEOPLE! That's like 1/3 what it costs me.

Fat chance though. Just double the tram capacity and most people will be placated. It's really all about the tram line IMO.

I encourage every Big Sky season pass holder to e-mail Taylor and ask, what is in it for me?

I pay top dollar $ 1300.00+ for a seasons pass and WTF? Maybe if Boyne is serious about this, give me some IKON days with my pass so I can visit JHMR or Alta/Bird and help to crowd their slopes. Tmiddleton@bigskyresort.com
    Last edited by Not bunion; 03-06-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    <snip> give me some IKON days with my pass so I can visit JHMR or Alta/Bird and help to crowd their slopes.
    I suspect that'll happen once Alterra gobbles up *all* the Boyne resorts. So be patient...

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    The editorial sucks. Sorry. I, like many others, moved to the area to ski at a place that was surely growing, but 60k people from one season to the next is just not right. It doesn't help the community. It stresses it beyond what can actually be realized by increased revenue for local businesses. The ONLY people who benefit are Boyne. Everyone else gets to work way harder for no increase in wage. Lifties, pass checkers, cashiers, etc are probably on the verge of losing their minds. You jump on a mega pass when you have 5 brand new lifts that all run smoothly and 100 brand new condos to sell. Not when the bulk of your lifts are stopped 10 times a day and there is next to no RE inventory.

Don't get me wrong, I love this place and came here hoping to at least have 3-5 years before the Colorado style greed machine took hold. I know we still have it better than most, and I'm late to the party, but growth was happening naturally as is. Why piss everyone off who actually lives nearby and buys regular season passes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190306_165624.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	272846

lol.

Moves from CO to Big Sky.

Complains about "Coloradofication" of Big Sky.

Ironic... at least a little?

Damn Not bunion, I knew I should have taken a screen shot of your original post! lol

Too bad these poor people from the UK had their tender feelings hurt by a sticker, but I'm not sure Taylor's letter, as well as the recent letter from the GM of JHMR, are going to help. If anything the anti-Ikon people will be like, Hey, it's working, let's keep it up! Print more stickers!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    lol.

Moves from CO to Big Sky.

Complains about "Coloradofication" of Big Sky.

Ironic... at least a little?

Some people stayed and embraced it. Others left and it came with us unfortunately. I guess northern ID is the last last best place now? How many years until assholes like me move to eastern Europe and ruin their ski areas?

That editorial sucks! Unless his goal was to make me hate the Ikon pass and Boyne. Then it was successful.

"Hey, we are making fat $$ off this pass. Too bad it sucks for you and is ruining the experience that brought you here. Keep it to yourself and be nice so we can make more $$."

If you want locals to be nice, be nice to the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Some people stayed and embraced it. Others left and it came with us unfortunately. I guess northern ID is the last last best place now? How many years until assholes like me move to eastern Europe and ruin their ski areas?
    Why not Canada? I hear Marmot never has a lift line.

That editorial was basically saying, "This place was awesome when I moved here, but now we want to wreck it for everyone else so we can make an assload of money. Enjoy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    That editorial was basically saying, "This place was awesome when I moved here, but now we want to wreck it for everyone else so we can make an assload of money. Enjoy!"
    You could've wrote that 10 years ago and it would still have been true(minus ikonification). This wave is just worse because it affects lift lines.

It was obviously a very self-serving editorial, but it's quite likely his ass is getting chewed by higher ups and he feels like he has to do something.

But since we're ragging on Big Sky, I'll take this opportunity to say THANKS to Big Sky for making another donation this year to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Helena, where my wife works. They are always very good about helping out with some comp passes, etc. So...good on them for that.

You could've wrote that 10 years ago and it would still have been true(minus ikonification). This wave is just worse because it affects lift lines.
    In my mind the downhill slide began right around 2005 when MLB and Big Sky rolled out the BSIA pass. We just didn't see it then.

That said, maybe it was 1996 when the Tram was the new draw instead of having to hike for a lot of the goods.

Probably some long time locals would say, nope, it was in 1988 when Challenger was installed and the LRT traverse became another route to the Bowl rather than vice versa.

There are plenty of people in Bozeman who think the area should never have been built.

Whatever, this is just the latest disturbance and it will pass, meanwhile the voice of Boyne will continue to walk all over his dick while wearing golf spikes.

Way back when those 2 women got left on Soco overnight and were relating how they burned money trying to use it to signal several members of the cat crew who were at the bottom of the lift doing what we could easily guess.

The same voice of sanity blurted out something to the affect of, "How much did you burn, we will reimburse you for that".

Almost forgot, I hooked up with Kinnikinnick today and we bumbled around Lone Mountain in decent conditions and even managed a N. Summit lap with a tag along who was a sweetheart. And even though he was on an IKON pass we both got along swimmingly.

Came here to see if skiing in Montana was less crowded than Wyoming.....aaaaaannndddd....Ikon ruining another place so I'll just post these.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 3.30.22 PM.png
Views: 394
Size:  449.7 KB

Name:  Trump Ikon Ban.png
Views: 400
Size:  602.7 KB

I am an outsider (non-super pass owner, non MT local who has only skied BS a few times in the last 10 yers) so take this drive-by, likely flawed take with a grain of salt, but every time I look it seems BS is installing a new crazy high capacity, heated, comfortable lift targeted for masses. Isn't all of this higher capacity infrastructure in the pursuit of more skiers? It seems like Ikon is just the latest method in an ethos which was set well before this year. I assume all this new capex investment needs to be funded somehow...

Other resorts certainly upgrade infrastructure and want to draw people in, but the rate, atleast as I have perceived it, has seemed a little more thirsty at Big Sky the last few years than other places.

Hopefully for everyone there is a way this can all work itself out, where mountains are sustainable businesses without sacrificing the experience for people who care about the skiing. My fear is that the skiing world moves to the two extremes, where a place has to either pull through high quantities of Joe shmo level 2 skier or have an exclusive, $$$$$, country club type experience. I imagine this would not cater to most of the people here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Quote Originally Posted by drstuess View Post
    My fear is that the skiing world moves to the two extremes, where a place has to either pull through high quantities of Joe shmo level 2 skier or have an exclusive, $$$$$, country club type experience. I imagine this would not cater to most of the people here.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately I think this is a legitimate fear...

I am new here, only 60 days in so I donít have the history but one thing I have noticed is while there is a ton of total acreage and people moving capacity when a portion of the mountain is shutdown (wind, avy, lift issues) it feels like a big portion and funnels people awkwardly. Even when this happens there is a ton of terrain to be had but personally it feels like BS hasnít yet figured out all the details how to respond to the influx creating choke points. Examples...ticket checkers holding up loads, singles lines and corals not well developed, challenger auto loader down due to icing and lefties struggle to figure out what to do (throw snow on it and load old school), cluster on top of challenger/headwaters with people not knowing where to go, etc.

Sometimes the resort feels at odds with itself...marketed as the alps but catering to the masses on the same terrain.

From my limited perspective I feel the influx wouldnít feel as abrupt if these things were sorted.

All in all...the terrain is fantastic and I am getting spoiled by the short lift lines and untracked late into day compared to Tahoe and CO.

Itís going to be interesting to see how the industry as a whole responds to this new model. Hopefully there is a ďthirdĒ solution to drstuessís fear...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Sledzski; 03-07-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledzski View Post
    Hopefully there is a ďthirdĒ solution to drstuessís fear...
    Name:  ascension-skins-01a.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  11.5 KB

3pin...I spit out my beer on that one.

I hear you and will be looking forward to start exploring the BC soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    In my mind the downhill slide began right around 2005 when MLB and Big Sky rolled out the BSIA pass. We just didn't see it then.

That said, maybe it was 1996 when the Tram was the new draw instead of having to hike for a lot of the goods.

Probably some long time locals would say, nope, it was in 1988 when Challenger was installed and the LRT traverse became another route to the Bowl rather than vice versa.

There are plenty of people in Bozeman who think the area should never have been built.

Whatever, this is just the latest disturbance and it will pass, meanwhile the voice of Boyne will continue to walk all over his dick while wearing golf spikes.

Way back when those 2 women got left on Soco overnight and were relating how they burned money trying to use it to signal several members of the cat crew who were at the bottom of the lift doing what we could easily guess.

The same voice of sanity blurted out something to the affect of, "How much did you burn, we will reimburse you for that".

Almost forgot, I hooked up with Kinnikinnick today and we bumbled around Lone Mountain in decent conditions and even managed a N. Summit lap with a tag along who was a sweetheart. And even though he was on an IKON pass we both got along swimmingly.
    Ha. I knew I should have put " or insert whatever time period you want".

Only been around since 98 and am leaving this year.

Btw nice deleted rant. That was awesome.

Thanks for the hospitality Not Bunion, itís almost as if you used to manage the goods here!! Whereís that maggot karma point accounting system, NB deserves to be near the top.

The Big, North Snowfield, South side from the top in total pea soup. And yesterday late PM I started discovering the vast tree lines that apparently not many ski in these parts. Found many shots of the whole enchilada of pow in the trees.

Such a vastly improved lift served mountain since Ď93 or whatever. The acreage and number of lifts is awesome. Count your blessings locals.

Speaking of which, I have an Ikon pass and a Montana Birth certificate and dozens of MY family and our immigration was direct from Ireland to the Buttehole, so where does that put me in the gripping order? Am I entitled gripe about everyone in the line without a MT Birth doc?

No, I donít think so.

As NB says, I do think the IKON invaded locals are getting the short stick since you donít get reciprocal benefits at the other areas. You should demand that at the least.

Thanks BS!

On to Butte!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Speaking of which, I have an Ikon pass and a Montana Birth certificate and dozens of MY family and our immigration was direct from Ireland to the Buttehole, so where does that put me in the gripping order? Am I entitled gripe about everyone in the line without a MT Birth doc?

I plan to hang my birth certificate, passport, high school diploma, UM diploma, honor cord all from my IKON lanyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post

On to Butte!!

WOP Chop!

Name:	EA0B4755-305E-4723-A63B-E6D345CF3A7C.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	322.5 KB 
ID:	272904

This last Tuesday we celebrated Peteís life. It was a beautiful day with many beautiful people.

Name:	863ED7E3-D4DB-4B62-9A01-DF3FBFE41A22.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	528.1 KB 
ID:	272903

Name:	9D9931A6-64F6-48B7-B60D-28BA58B6F070.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	499.2 KB 
ID:	272905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF14E4E4-95F3-4B06-8C10-526710D8C259.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	425.6 KB 
ID:	272906

You are missed bro!

I'm just curious - who in the fuck still wears their pass on the *outside* of their jacket? I mean - pretty much every Ikon resort is RFID at this point... so nobody even needs to know that I'm an Ikonhole when I'm skiing.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Name:  ascension-skins-01a.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  11.5 KB
    personally i think if you never used purple
    your a bc ikon jongy come lateley
    and at this point thats well over 1/2 the participants
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    personally i think if you never used purple
    your a bc ikon jongy come lateley
    and at this point thats well over 1/2 the participants
    I started on Scarpa Denali's, shitty old Kastle straight skis, and purple skins.

Actually I started with Voile Snakeskins, but it only took TWO short trips before I threw those fucking things in the garbage.