Page 354 of 890 FirstFirst ... 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 ... LastLast
Results 8,826 to 8,850 of 22244
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    some interesting reading (at least for me)

https://members.skidata.com/fileadmi...ime=1574779563
    Login required

Nice tease.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by East2West View Post
    Login required
    seriously? I accessed it through their webpage..

I like the nice little data-mining/targeted advertising ability which we all know was there.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    seriously? I accessed it through their webpage..

I like the nice little data-mining/targeted advertising ability which we all know was there.
    For serious. Can you post the PDF?

https://www.skidata.com/en-us/mountain/

Go down and click on "mountain solutions" and see if that does it.

or try:

https://members.skidata.com/index.ph...720d&file=8361

Wow. None of that is surprising but seeing all of the Big Brother crap condensed into one service is really something else.

That document makes me wretch. CorpoMarketeer spew

It's played down as "fraud protection" but the gates can take your picture. How long has that been happening?

"Pamper your loyal guests" etc, etc. My eyes rolled pretty far back into my head reading that crap. What kind of person eats this shit up? Marketing guys?

I've gotta think the ability to take pictures isn't all that new. Isn't there also the ability for ticket checkers (humans, incredibly!) to confirm that the person holding the pass matches the picture on the pass? I think that technology's been around for a bit, too.

I think this data collection has been happening since tickets started getting Barcodes/RFID. Even day tickets are associated with a credit/debit card. So you're already being watched, and have been for the last 10 - 15 years easily.

Card numbers are everywhere, I know that.

And ticket checkers have had your pass picture on the device for a while, also no biggie.

But the gate itself having the ability to take your picture? Maybe it's not as new as my luddite ass thinks, but it seems like an unwelcome intrusion that could be used for broader data collection, targeted marketing, and surveillance.

Ah yeah I didn’t catch that part, that’s extra creepy. Probably will have some sort of facial recognition software to verify you’re not poaching.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Don't video-enabled gas pumps also perform similar operations re: targeted marketing and user tracking? I'm not sure if they actually record the person pumping gas, but that'd make sense to determine if the person pumping is actually watching the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Ah yeah I didn’t catch that part, that’s extra creepy. Probably will have some sort of facial recognition software to verify you’re not poaching.

It doesn't even have to be that fancy to be useful. Got someone you think has been sharing his pass with his roomie because you caught it once, and they claimed "oops, forgot that was in the jacket pocket when I borrowed the jacket"? Pull up the historical images for that pass and have a look. If half are the roomie, it's looking a lot more like a habit and less like a mistake. Plus you then have even better evidence to go with the Theft of Services charges. Granted, I'm not sure how well that works if all parties involved have similar builds and it's no-exposed-skin weather.

While I see the potential for Big Brother-type usages, I'm not super-concerned about that because of what I've seen in person (albeit at smaller businesses). I worked for some restaurants recently where we had a loyalty program and could get all sorts of data, down to seeing what a given customer ordered on each visit. Actually using that data for any sort of Big Brother-type analytics never happened, not just because my boss was a good guy who would've been concerned about privacy implications, but also because the expected payoff wasn't there for the effort it would have taken for meaningful analytics. I'm sure Vail and Alterra have smart people cranking on the data, but I have my doubts that they're going to a particularly Big Brother level.

Hell, if resorts could use the scanning data to figure out that they need to be prepared for a larger number of people in the corral at 1:00 than at 12:15 and adjust the open lanes accordingly (before it turned into a crowd spilling out of the maze), I'd take it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I'm curious as to how facial recognition is supposed to work when most of us have our faces almost entirely covered. Will l I have to take off my Ruroc stormtrooper helmet every lift ride?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gnar_Shralp406 View Post
    I'm curious as to how facial recognition is supposed to work when most of us have our faces almost entirely covered. Will l I have to take off my Ruroc stormtrooper helmet every lift ride?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    A side benefit: Ruroc helmets banned.

Maybe I like this.

A side benefit: Ruroc helmets banned.

Maybe I like this.
    No way, they're like a giant red flag of who to stay away from. Without it, those people would blend in.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    It doesn't even have to be that fancy to be useful. Got someone you think has been sharing his pass with his roomie because you caught it once, and they claimed "oops, forgot that was in the jacket pocket when I borrowed the jacket"? Pull up the historical images for that pass and have a look. If half are the roomie, it's looking a lot more like a habit and less like a mistake. Plus you then have even better evidence to go with the Theft of Services charges. Granted, I'm not sure how well that works if all parties involved have similar builds and it's no-exposed-skin weather.
    Since Skidata at first glance appears to be a European based company, if any skibums are particularly saavy you could just send a GDPR right-to-be-forgotten erasure email request daily. Dunno, if they'd act upon it, but if Skidata is holding the data and not the local resort I think they might be obligated to. Anyways, don't coop season passes though, that's bad.

I've recently witnessed the casual droppage of "I ski mostly double and triple blacks" in another dark corner of the internet, and I don't know what to do with the curmudgeonly bile that wants to explode out of my fingertips through the keyboard and land a digital throat punch. And I'm not even a boomer. You guys allowed this to happen... the rest of us need guidance.

Couldn't the diamond wars just escalate endlessly? If it's a safety thing, wouldn't it be more effective to hang animal carcasses, voodoo totems or an itemized list of out-of-pocket medical costs for mountain transport?

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    <snip> If it's a safety thing, wouldn't it be more effective to hang animal carcasses, voodoo totems
    I would be on board with this.

It would just entice Jerry further.

Couldn't the diamond wars just escalate endlessly?
    I heard the Mr K chutes are supposed to get rated a "triple green diamond" this year!

I've recently witnessed the casual droppage of "I ski mostly double and triple blacks" in another dark corner of the internet, and I don't know what to do with the curmudgeonly bile that wants to explode out of my fingertips through the keyboard and land a digital throat punch. And I'm not even a boomer. You guys allowed this to happen... the rest of us need guidance.

Couldn't the diamond wars just escalate endlessly? If it's a safety thing, wouldn't it be more effective to hang animal carcasses, voodoo totems or an itemized list of out-of-pocket medical costs for mountain transport?
    I can DEF provide an itemized list of costs for damage en route to a diamond run, Ha!
    My flounder cost about $45k+/-. My insurance covered all but $1100...

FKNA!

Digital throat punch - now that is choice. I'll be borrowing that soon.

I had to google ruroc helmet. WTF - you are gonna get heckled.

If I could get Big Sky to adopt a new rating:

The Hexagon!

Even more difficult than most difficult.

I could make a mint.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    If I could get Big Sky to adopt a new rating:

The Hexagon!

Even more difficult than most difficult.

I could make a mint.
    Or maybe an octagon in red that says -'STOP'

do triple blacks count
    if no one witnesses them?
    backcountry doesn't care.