Page 436 of 884 FirstFirst ... 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 ... LastLast
Results 10,876 to 10,900 of 22100
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Jeez. I was kidding about riding with a sidearm mounted to the handlebars lol. Archery hunting is a different story.

I ride with spray and make all kind of noise, talk to myself, sing, etc. especially when riding solo. Uphill and downhill. Any bears that I have crossed paths with in the woods probably moved 100ft off trail and are thinking, "Wow that shizo dude talking to himself on a mountain bike sure is weird.....let's get out of here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Jeez. I was kidding about riding with a sidearm mounted to the handlebars lol. Archery hunting is a different story.

I ride with spray and make all kind of noise, talk to myself, sing, etc. especially when riding solo. Uphill and downhill. Any bears that I have crossed paths with in the woods probably moved 100ft off trail and are thinking, "Wow that shizo dude talking to himself on a mountain bike sure is weird.....let's get out of here!"
    Of course you were just kidding...

Archery hunting is different I do agree. Although Doug Peacock would call any man using a gun for protection against grizzlies a pussy. But we all can't be bad-asses like the real George Hayduke and live with them for months at a time to figure them out.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    That's a good point, but there aren't any great options for keeping it on yourself and readily accessible and still comfortable for riding IMO. I keep it tucked into the mesh side pouch of my pack, but that's not a perfect solution either because it's a backward reach to get it, and if I did wipe out and/or crash into a bear, it might fall out of that pocket. Holstering it on the pack belt isn't really that comfortable and jostles around too much. So any solution involves compromise. But if anybody has a good hack I'd like to hear it.
    Just like for pistols, they make chest holders that are pretty nifty. I've seen some holders that go on shoulder straps of packs but the argument against those is you take the pack off for what ever reason, your protection goes with it.

When I'm out in bear world I carry a pistol and spray just because I like having options. But I like bears, I think they're cool critters and would feel terrible about shooting one when spray would have worked.

You could probably fashion a custom setup with any MOLLE chest rig. Soldiers do it all the time. Only issue may be sizing it down, they tend to be worn over body armor.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    You could probably fashion a custom setup with any MOLLE chest rig. Soldiers do it all the time. Only issue may be sizing it down, they tend to be worn over body armor.
    A local Bozeman company does this... https://fhfgear.com/

They might be a little heavy/bulky for mountain bikers that prefer a more streamlined, ass-squeezing spandex approach. Really great system/options for bear country with FHF Gear and Razco collaborating on firearms harnesses.

*totally related to "Montana conditions, stoke, and whatev..."
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

RTR I will just yell out the back window at you and call you an asshole.

From what I was told today the mauling happened right near the top of the trail just below where it dives off of the South Fork road. Its real dense timber there and the biker was probably moving too quickly to have much time to react except for OH SHIT!.

I am all about Bear Spray and carry it when riding most places here.

I am considering adding a 2nd can for many of the reasons said above.

I haven't been able to get in touch with him yet but a Superintendent on a site nearby that I know had sent some pictures in to his co-workers of a Griz that he had seen in the area, < than a mile from the mauling site. It was reported to be a fairly large boar.

If I can get them I will post them.

For those who opt for a handgun, better be prepared to carry something really fucking big. I am afraid my Glock would just make a bear that size even madder.

Wow that shizo dude singing really badly and off key while on a mountain bike sure is weird.....let's get out of here!"
    FIFY.

Like avalanches I prefer avoidance. My voice can peel paint.
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 05-26-2020 at 06:26 PM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Chest carry of a hard object while mountain biking (or skiing) sounds like a good way to increase the chance of chest injury, IMO. I know it's all trade-offs, but unless I was riding DH or Moto with armor on, I wouldn't want a spray can or a pistol on my chest. I crash way more often than I run into bears.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

I don't leave my hill condo mega-mansion without being strapped, that includes taking the trash to the dumpster

here's my chest harness piece

Name:  chestgun.png
Views: 559
Size:  101.7 KB

my backup ankle holster

Name:  backup.png
Views: 560
Size:  209.4 KB

and my neck gun 3rd backup (dont let size fool u)

Name:  neckgun.png
Views: 576
Size:  338.0 KB

I turn this .....

Name:  bad.png
Views: 552
Size:  294.4 KB

into this

Name:  badnot.png
Views: 550
Size:  382.8 KB

but sometimes we just hug it out....

Name:  huggie.png
Views: 553
Size:  190.9 KB

I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I am afraid my Glock would just make a bear that size even madder
    Have you looked at the .50 Cal Desert Eagle?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    If we're on the topic of bears and guns you guys gotta check this out. This is the toughest SOB alive today. Dude never lost consciousness.

WARNING THIS IS GRAPHIC
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B-cPkGCHr7e/

Good podcast going over the whole story, research into whether or not it was faked, etc.

https://www.themeateater.com/listen/...with-bret-bohn

The "sidearm" aka man cannon that was used:

Can you fit a desert eagle into a Specialized swat frame. Asking for a friend.

But seriously...riding with bear spray sucks. I don't do it around here but when I am up in the Whitefish area I sure as hell do. I have put the holster through my pack belt but that solution is no good, because it flops around and has a high chance of accidental discharge in a fall. I can't fit a cage on my bike.

biking while armed is nuts.
    best is to put a bearspray in a foam wrap taped to a cage.
    since you don't have a cage either the bungie system to the headtube or use a feedbag

Headtube you say? To deploy without removing?

Good point about chance for chest injury in case of a bike crash...

...but doesn't putting bearspray in a foam wrap negate the ability to use it quickly? Plus again, isn't on your person.

6 one, half dozen another.

foam wrap is basically the same as the second pic yeahman posted
    janky bungie style works alright though
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1285 (2).jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	329905

I will hike with a holstered hand gun in hot zones like GNP. Last thing I want to do is kill a bear, but if it kills/attacks me, the government is going to kill it(plus maybe others), so no point in us both being dead. My hope would be just to scare it away, assuming it is charging and I can't make it up a tree.

The weight and risk penalty having a gun while riding trails is not worth the hassle. Plus, I'm likely not a good enough shot with a high enough caliber that it would be helpful. Big fan of counter assault in a bike packing feedbag:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180910_132041.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	589.4 KB 
ID:	329912

I wouldn't really want it on my person for a few reasons. Mostly, puncture during crash would be brutal.

I've punctured a bear spray in a bike crash. I can confirm it was no fun.

Feedbag like 406 does

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Hadn't seen that. Brilliant.

Update: I found out the identity of the mauling victim. He is a LOOOOng time Big Sky local and a helluva a good guy. He has been riding in Grizzly Bear habitat for longer than a lot of you have been alive and absolutely does know his shit. He hunts (Rifle/Archery) so he is bear aware.

It will be a hard road back, he needs to be flown to Seattle or SLC for extensive reconstructive surgery. I asked about any fundraising and so far have not heard of any, if I do I will post it.

Heard that he couldn't speak to the first guy who found him cross legged in the trail. Scratched "BEAR" in the dirt. Fack

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Thank you. Check has been sent.