Page 271 of 891 FirstFirst ... 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,775 of 22259
    Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Just saw a new Big Sky deal on the Tube last night.

4/1 thru closing for $221.00.

So much for April.
    I think it's called Catch 22 they close on the 22nd. I think they've been doing this for a few years because we looked a year ago at it.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Thanks detuned for the heads up. Big Mountain is possible, but somewhat short on time so likely not.

racesla, my "rv" is a subaru outback with the rear seat removed, sleeping platform and a large cooler. No power needed. Appreciate the offer and looks like I might be taking you up on it. Week or two ago Discovery looked less likely because the trail count was still filling in. Better chance now.
    We got about 17 inches last week so things are shaping up nicely.

those are some impressive crowns

Well the time is upon me, I leave tomorrow and drive into some of the coldest air of the past few decades. Should make Montana by Friday night. Been through Montana before, but this will be my first ski and looking forward to it.

Plan is to ski Red Lodge Saturday/Sunday. Will look in town on Sunday for a bar to watch the superbowl.

Monday/Tuesday at BB

Wednesday tentatively at Discovery Basin, but could stay on at BB

Thursday at MSB

Friday head north to BC

If anyone wants to show me around one of the hills would be great. Have gear and experience to go off the side if that is the call and you have the local knowledge. Beers on me after.

Will be camping in the world's smallest RV (wife's outback) and usually good at finding a place to park, but if anyone has a dark quiet place behind a business I could ditch for the night, it would be appreciated.

Montana water spots tentatively planned are Missoula public pool and Sleeping Buffalo Hot Springs up in Saco on the trip home.
    If you still plan to hit up snowbowl on Thursday, I could ski a lap or two in the afternoon with you. Gotta show up at work at some point during the day, but could swing some turns up there.

Everything open again today except Wave and Castro's. Walk on North Summit laps and the gatekeeper let me go solo. First time in 8 years I have finished down Great Falls bc it is so rarely open. Chunky and punchy, sweet!

Going to try to get a pic of the slide zone. Remarked to patrol on the lift that they must be confident to have reopened everything. Well, he said, building confidence would be more accurate.

Montana water spots tentatively planned are Missoula public pool and Sleeping Buffalo Hot Springs up in Saco on the trip home.
    Fairmont Hot Springs might be worth considering between Bozeman and Disco. Since it has a very large hotel attached, I am sure you can get away with sleeping in the lot if you want.

^^^ The South Face has this nasty habit of developing weaker layers and then going through an avalanche cycle where something goes big and a few days pass and something else goes big etc.

The indicator for me was always Marx, if it slid deep from low down on the skiers right that usually meant the cycle was starting.

I do not envy the Big Sky SS dept. having that type of thing hanging over their heads.

First pic is from Rockville Bowl, other is from Shedhorn lift. Pretty gnar. I came down just lookers right in the second pic through the rocks below D2...was kind of surprised they had that open.

One more

Thanks yeahman. That’s burly. Interesting how it didn’t push the bottom out.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Thanks yeahman. That’s burly. Interesting how it didn’t push the bottom out.
    Skier-packed snow?
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Skier-packed snow?
    Thought crossed my mind.
    Maybe bunion can step in and drop some knowledge.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Thought crossed my mind.
    Maybe bunion can step in and drop some knowledge.
    I'll let the professor bunion confirm, but I believe that area where the slab ends is about where the traverse into the lower bowl area is situated which gets alot of skier compaction whereas the stuff above has hardly been skied at all this year.

Stauchwall. Where the snow from the slab rides up onto the snow in the runout...prob just lower angle and harder snow surface.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I'll let the professor bunion confirm, but I believe that area where the slab ends is about where the traverse into the lower bowl area is situated which gets alot of skier compaction whereas the stuff above has hardly been skied at all this year.
    Looks like the bottom of Castro’s? Dictators above on lookers right?
    There is a traverse right there now at the bottom slice of that slide? If so that sucks for straightligning that or coming out hot with big turns. Not enough snow in there to have it open hence low skier traffic? That was always a fun area to hit.

Anybody who wants to rip fresh roy in the a.m. meet in the Ram8 line for first chair. Harry you skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    Stauchwall. Where the snow from the slab rides up onto the snow in the runout...prob just lower angle and harder snow surface.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Pretty much my take as well. I took that fast ride up/over to be a good sign.

The Hanging Valley slide was similar.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Found a new shack today, anybody got a name? (Actually the kid found it, I would have skied right by it about 20 yards away, doh!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Is that the one in Forbidden Forest ?
    Yes. Does it have a name?
    Got the answer for you. It is called the Medical Shack.

Story is that particular gondola cab was specially equipped to allow Patrol to load someone on a backboard into it. Something about a special hatch in the roof or the walls or something.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Cat, directly behind Foster and Logans in the alley is the county annex building. Staff and visitor parking only during business hours but they don't work weekends so it's a free downtown spot til Monday morning.
    Be aware our town cops are dicks because they're bored all the time, they like hassling tourists.
    You can always camp in the mountain lot. Admin has no policy against it.
    Gonna get cold starting Saturday night.

Anybody who wants to rip fresh roy in the a.m. meet in the Ram8 line for first chair. Harry you skiing?
    Yup, see you there. Rolling with my lady friend. I think Talisman will be there too.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Got the answer for you. It is called the Medical Shack.

Story is that particular gondola cab was specially equipped to allow Patrol to load someone on a backboard into it. Something about a special hatch in the roof or the walls or something.
    I have seen the shack many times, but didn't know the back story.

Could anyone recommend a good board shop in the Bozeman/Big Sky area? I'll be in town with some friends next week and some of us need to replace some gear/support the local economy.

Quote Originally Posted by racesla View Post
    If you hit Disco on Wednesday you can park your RV in front or behind my bar in Anaconda. Run a cord outside for power. Fine micro selection, also Smelter City Brewing is across the street. If I can get away (order day) I'll show you around the hill.
    Harp?

If that doesn't work for ya you can park behind my place in phillipsburg, I'd say you could crash there but it's a remodel disaster zone and I dont have a way to get a key there for ya. If you're interested lemme know and I'll shoot ya the address.

World boards is goto for Bozeman. If you mean ski shop I'll defer to the collective.

Thanks lifelinksplit.. am looking for a board shop so that's perfect.

Anybody interested in a good deal on a hut trip with Hellroaring Powder Guides (http://www.skihellroaring.com/) in the Centennials?

My group is lame and has to bail (work and injuries) on our trip, and we've already rescheduled once so the trip is not refundable at this point. The trip is booked for March 12-14 (2 nights), semi guided (guide leads the group into the hut and guides everyone out on a quick run in the afternoon, the following morning the guide can get breakfast going and guide the group to a new location in the morning prior to taking off around lunch). Room for 6.

We paid $1700. Make me an offer. I'll post in gear swap but wanted to throw this out to Montana mags first.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Nice short tram lines today. Even with a crack of 11 start my friend and I were going for 3 snowfield laps until her binding decided to explode on lap two. Could have been sketchy. Shark attack.