Page 136 of 884 FirstFirst ... 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,400 of 22091
    Some well needed upgrades, and some stuff that seems a little dumb. Nice to see some Moonlight lift changes. Like the terrain over there but have always thought the lift layout was a bit odd.

Not sure what the deal is with the two moonlight lifts that show up on the bottom right of the map....lift access to the golf course?

so let me get this straight Big Sky Wants to increase skier capacity without adding an additional terrain? And really 650,000 annual skiers? Maybe if Vail Resorts buys your mountain, oh wait..

My question is, marketing wise how can Big Sky take a large market share from places like Jackson, Utah and Tahoe? Guessing most people that ski or ride Big Sky are flying in.

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    My question is, marketing wise how can Big Sky take a large market share from places like Jackson, Utah and Tahoe?
    Significantly less crowded than most of UT or Tahoe and way better/more intermediate terrain (family friendly) than JHMR.

BS problems are lack of snow, bitter cold of Jan/Feb, and remoteness. It seems, March and April are the best times to ski BS, but most casual skiers(the ones who fly in and spend the most money) aren't interested in skiing past early March.

Quote Originally Posted by Lav View Post
    Not sure what the deal is with the two moonlight lifts that show up on the bottom right of the map....lift access to the golf course?
    I'm guessing the only way this makes money is selling more houses and condos, so lifts are for accessing those.

Yeah some of those lifts are residential access ones only. Pretty crazy how many ski bridges and ramps there are now for that.

BS has the acreage for more bodies, it gets pretty desolate off SoCo and Thunderwolf and Sheddy, and I remember them talking about a Liberty Bowl lift a couple years back, looks like that's back on the menu. But you know all the new people jammed on the hill will be in the tram line.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Significantly less crowded than most of UT or Tahoe and way better/more intermediate terrain (family friendly) than JHMR.

BS problems are lack of snow, bitter cold of Jan/Feb, and remoteness. It seems, March and April are the best times to ski BS, but most casual skiers(the ones who fly in and spend the most money) aren't interested in skiing past early March.

The other problem with BS, for family vacations, is that there isn't a whole lot else to do if somone in the fam doesnt want to ski every day, compared to say, Vail, or Park City, etc. Looks like they are going to attempt to remedy that.

There are actually already a lot of amenities for the non-skier.

There is some limited XC skiing and then there is Lone Mountain Ranch. Dog Sledding is a big hit with my sister as well as Snowshoing. Winter Fly Fishing can be very good. And then there is that park down the road a ways. Museum of the Rockies in town and Bozeman itself.

Not that there isn't room for more but BS isn't the sleepy little one trick Pony it once was.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

^^That's all true, but as far as restaurants and night life and shopping go, Big Sky is still pretty weak. I have friends who would qualify as well-off tourist skiers who have come to Big Sky once or twice from the Midwest or East Coast, and they liked it, but they always seem to migrate back to Colorado/Utah/Tahoe for their ski vacations. I suspect lack of night life is part of the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by bunion View Post
    There are actually already a lot of amenities for the non-skier.

There is some limited XC skiing and then there is Lone Mountain Ranch. Dog Sledding is a big hit with my sister as well as Snowshoing. Winter Fly Fishing can be very good. And then there is that park down the road a ways. Museum of the Rockies in town and Bozeman itself.

Not that there isn't room for more but BS isn't the sleepy little one trick Pony it once was.
    Oh for sure. I was just thinking more the nightlife, "apres ski," dining, shopping etc that city folks like, places like Vail, PC, Breck, Whistler have, and Big Sky does not.

Wait a minute! You're telling me scissor bills and milkies aren't considered nightlife. Next thing you'll tell me is the black bear is closing..

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

^^^ Excellent, probably won't need Pac boots for tomorrow.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    so let me get this straight Big Sky Wants to increase skier capacity without adding an additional terrain? And really 650,000 annual skiers? Maybe if Vail Resorts buys your mountain, oh wait..

My question is, marketing wise how can Big Sky take a large market share from places like Jackson, Utah and Tahoe? Guessing most people that ski or ride Big Sky are flying in.

I took that to mean 650,000 year round including ski and non-skiing visits.
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

^Aren't they pushing 400k+ anyway? 650k isn't unreasonable at all with such explicit and revolutionary development ideas like "expand and improve lodging"

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    Interesting the capacity of the triple will be unchanged. Whats the name of the new lift going to be? Lone Peak Six Pack?

Or perhaps the Smoke-a-Bowl Bubble.

Big Sky lift maint. will have their hands full dealing with the Dirtbag graffiti and stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by peck257 View Post
    Interesting the capacity of the triple will be unchanged.
    That's good news.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    That's good news.
    I agree! I assumed that they would increase it.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Or perhaps the Smoke-a-Bowl Bubble.
    Ha.

I sure hope the bubbles are larger than those in Japan, getting thumped in the back of the head every ride is annoying.

I agree! I assumed that they would increase it.
    Sounds like they can increase it later. From Taylor Middleton's latest email:

Big Sky Resort Lift Installation Progress
    Planning, design, road building, most concrete, and heavy terminal steel for two brand new lifts is now behind us. This week we’re flying towers which is always a big mark in the lift construction process. For the first time it’s really easy to see progress. Next comes more heavy terminal construction, installation of the rope, electrical, fine terminal work and more. Semi-trailers continue to arrive several times a week with parts produced in the USA, Canada, and Europe. Parts delivery and construction for both lifts is on-schedule for a timely winter opening.

These Doppelmayr lifts represent the newest and finest technology in the ski industry. Each is sized and tailored for its unique location and a long life. No locations are more important or deserving than Challenger and the Bowl for modern installations. Anticipating the future, these lifts offer faster ride times and move more total skiers than the lifts they’re replacing.

The Bowl six-place high-speed lift is designed around comfort and reliability, featuring a bubble covering every chair, heated seats, footrests, and a total ride time of just three minutes. It’s equipped with an auxiliary power unit capable of operating even in the rare event when electricity is out. It serves 1,800 skiers per hour initially, and as demand grows 3,600 skiers per hour.

Challenger is a triple place chair with foot rests and safety bars. Carpet load technology makes boarding easier and allows the lift to move faster, shortening ride time. Challenger also comes with the auxiliary power unit feature allowing us to ski even when power is out. It initially carries 1,200 skiers per hour, and 1,600 per hour as visitation increases. Both lifts operate more efficiently and will never require tower painting.

These installations anticipate our vision of the future, not of just a larger skier population from our steadily growing community, but also of the sophisticated demands of the modern skier. Although it will take us a few years to grow into the higher capacity, keeping lift lines short is one of Big Sky’s hallmarks, now and in the future.

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Whats the name of the new lift going to be? Lone Peak Six Pack?
    They announced the new name yesterday for the old Triple. "Powder Seeker".

http://bigskyresort.com/newlifts
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Fer fucks sake.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Fer fucks sake.
    +1