Page 251 of 890 FirstFirst ... 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 ... LastLast
Results 6,251 to 6,275 of 22245
    The snowstake does look a little encouraging now but with forecast high of -1 F tomorrow... I think I'll wait till midweek before venturing back.

The sastrugi bumps at the top of Marx need some serious healing. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    So NOAA is somehow even worse than usual with this "storm"? WTF.....

Was joking with my buddy that due to gov shutdown there are like 3 interns trying to forecast the entire nation right now.
    Have they been that bad, though? Seems like it's verifying nicely...

There's always an early-january monster storm in which the bozeman area gets totally donut holed though.

I thought NOAA Great Falls nailed it. At least they did better than I did. I looked at the water vapor and some models and thought we would see 2", Nuclear winds and then a crash into the deep freeze.

Instead we got a throwback Sunday, Snow, some wind, not very cold and shitty visibility that kept the Tram line down to 4 cars and gradually towards walk ons. The Patrol managed to keep things open through a severe loading event. Last lap I skied at about 1:45 they closed down everything except Liberty. It was snowing 2x as hard at the bottom of Shedhorn as on the Summit and Barbarian Forest was skiing sweet.

Only downside was that they also had to close the Duckwalk so it was out the Middle road. Lots of "Guests" trying to navigate the skiers left side of the liftline of Shedhorn down Chicken Bowl to the Middle road was NOT pretty, even in a good snow year the area is thin.

I watched some horrific crashes of the type where some Jerry would see nothing but white below them, get a big head of steam and then ski into a vast patch of rocks covered in 6" of blower.

And WTF is up with the Middle Road? It is uphill in 2-3 locations. I give today a 7 out of 10, good beat and easy to dance to.

But, it was easy tram access and lots of familiar faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    I thought NOAA Great Falls nailed it. At least they did better than I did. I looked at the water vapor and some models and thought we would see 2", Nuclear winds and then a crash into the deep freeze.
    It was a great day to ski at BS and not very many people for a holiday week. The trees held soft lines all day. The snow exceeded the prediction with ~8 inches falling in the last 12 hours at 6800 feet and snowing hard again now.

Maybe we'll get another pulse when the temps drop

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    It was a great day to ski at BS and not very many people for a holiday week. The trees held soft lines all day. The snow exceeded the prediction with ~8 inches falling in the last 12 hours at 6800 feet and snowing hard again now.
    Great day indeed. I mostly stuck to Lone Tree and skied the Obsidian area and beyond on that traverse. Plenty of face shots and it got deeper as the day went on. I’m impressed patrol kept it open—quite a bit of sluff from above that kept crossing the traverse line.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Great day indeed. I mostly stuck to Lone Tree and skied the Obsidian area and beyond on that traverse.
    I was lapping Lone Tree and also Lone Tree/ Sixshooter for long tree runs. The two gullies beyond Obsidian: Don't Tell Mama and Dead Goat were great. Every time I was traversing Obsidian was jammed, so I kept going.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Today was wild. Didn't even get to BB until 1 or so and was shocked at how deep the snow off of High T was. Also shocked at how much untracked stuff I was able to find. Does the average BB skier not dig tight, steep trees? What an afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Today was wild. Didn't even get to BB until 1 or so and was shocked at how deep the snow off of High T was. Also shocked at how much untracked stuff I was able to find. Does the average BB skier not dig tight, steep trees? What an afternoon!
    Umm the "average" BB skier.....

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Umm the "average" BB skier.....
    I mean, er, the average of the people who hike all the way out High T. Maybe "typical" is a better word?

High T rules, especially on a cold day.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    I mean, er, the average of the people who hike all the way out High T. Maybe "typical" is a better word?
    BB was crazy crowded today but most people were not locals. Schlasman's opened for the first time in a day or two and the snow was great yet the lift line was 15 minutes early and then less than 10 minutes by mid day. I've stood in way longer lines there on days with much worse snow. Made me realize a lot of locals weren't up there.

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Oops
    Last edited by WMD; 12-31-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Not SW MT but sporty nevertheless.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/...rom-chairlift/

^^That is crazy. I guess that East Rim chair is a relatively new chair? It wasn't there in 16-17, the last time I skied there.

Edit: Oh yeah I see in the article is says the chair has only been in that spot one year, but it came from another area on the mountain.

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Big day for me - double eject to tommy after going too slow over a sporty section on the North Bowl of the Ridge. Lost one of my skis, Faction Royale 190. If seen, please shoot me a message! In other news, my first day of skiing in 2019 can only get better.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181231_181150.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	262326

Name:	20181231_181325.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	262327

Name:	20181231_181526.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	993.8 KB 
ID:	262328

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

Name:	20181231_181150.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	262326

Name:	20181231_181325.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	262327

Name:	20181231_181526.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	993.8 KB 
ID:	262328
    I can confirm, this is an accurate conditions report. Nice shots!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    I can confirm, this is an accurate conditions report. Nice shots!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Hell yeah!

Only downside was that they also had to close the Duckwalk so it was out the Middle road. Lots of "Guests" trying to navigate the skiers left side of the liftline of Shedhorn down Chicken Bowl to the Middle road was NOT pretty, even in a good snow year the area is thin.

I watched some horrific crashes of the type where some Jerry would see nothing but white below them, get a big head of steam and then ski into a vast patch of rocks covered in 6" of blower.
    Why wouldn’t Ski P cross some poles there to warn people? They started a lemmings leap down there. I saw some gnarly face-to-rock slide, and one of my partners ate shit there too.

Lotta questionable and some unfriendly Ski-P moves that day, I could list a few more, but anyways great storm skiing that day!! Bavarian Forest was sweet!

One partner saw a kid break his tib-fib, he went to tell a liftie and the liftie said, “Another one??” Poor kid. Some ski racer with flat skis that probably dove under one of a hundred barely covers downed trees off of Dakota.

Loving our timing on the last few days. Cold chalky powder and and good vis today at bs. Will be up tomorrow for a late kid free arrival. if anyone wants to meet up, pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Why wouldn’t Ski P cross some poles there to warn people? They started a lemmings leap down there. I saw some gnarly face-to-rock slide, and one of my partners ate shit there too.
    Its a typical scenario, snowing hard, holiday, keep running it out and all of a sudden a decision is made to close a cat track because of increasing avalanche hazard and the patrol is left to make it work. They manage to get a rope up across the trail and then are left to deal with wreckage.

The area is too vast and spread out to adequately mark a route with that little notice. I was skiing with a buddy who patrols there and they were busy as hell with accidents and trying to keep the ski cutting under control and keep the tram running. It is usually a point of pride to make it work. I appreciated the efforts and was glad the terrain was still accessible.

Fuck it, going down tomorrow cause after this storm cycle we look to be going into the dry zone.

Fuck it, going down tomorrow cause after this storm cycle we look to be going into the dry zone.
    -12*F at 6800 this morning, so remember to wear a jacket. No wind and there may be a slight temperature inversion. I am also out on the slopes as I am back to work tomorrow.

Yeah, things are very inverted right now. +2 at Lookout Ridge +6 at Jack Creek & a balmy -3 on the Summit. (@ 8:00).

5 Deg. in Bozeman & I am dragging my feet to head out the door.

I will text you once I am geared up and headed to a chairlift.