Page 128 of 347 FirstFirst ... 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 8655
    Just got back from a pretty fun 4-day loop in the Southern Gallatins. There's plenty of snow to go around, but bring bear spray!

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Are those the new Ripsticks you're on???
    Indeed. Version in the stores will have some color on the top-sheets though. Great ski in my lame-ass opinion. 106 underfoot, but ski narrower on the groomers and hold an edge on the hardpack. I have been looking for a replacement for my old (pre-rocker) Scott Punishers, and this will be it.

Quote Originally Posted by bunion View Post
    This is from 1994/95, Pre-tram peak and S. Face access.

Rope tow for Patrol only. Built by Charlie, Yunce & Tremper.

Not for the weak kneed or clear minded. Unusually good coverage in this shot, often much rockier, about 1/2 way up there was a 45 deg angle to negotiate.

Photo by Cary Wilson BSSP
    How high did that thing go?

Cool looking trip, Aenigma. Been some killer skiing lately, making up nicely for the February lull.

We finally got to see what Fan Mountain is all about.

Name:  944091_10107374819040460_2730986597706186343_n.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  102.3 KB

And it's all about sweet-ass powder skiing!

Name:  12049699_10107374820497540_492929591659472440_n.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  66.4 KB

Holy smokes, it was so nice we had to do it twice. Thank goodness for running into a friendly cat near the golf course, we would have been home well after dark otherwise!

So stoked on how this spring is turning out. Can't wait to hit more objectives soon. I'm in need of more Bozeman-area touring partners, also; I only moved down the road from Big Sky but I still don't know nearly enough about the Bridgers/n. Gallatins. Have fun out there!
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

Red Lodge Mtn. appears to be up for sale:

http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyle...ea4d611bb.html

^^^That photo makes me very happy! We will have to get out sometime this spring.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

I posted a couple photos recently, so I'm going to cash in my spam cred now:

Does anyone have a set of ski leashes they're not using? I'm mounting some new skis this week, and don't want to lose them right away.

Also, I have a 3-day weekend coming up and would be super interested in heading to Cooke or maybe doing a multi-day tour somewhere, if anyone else is in the same mindset/situation.

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    missed my first dirtbag in 11 years. who won?
    Jake Nelson = King

Caroline Lee = Queen
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    How high did that thing go?
    The top terminal unloaded you just about the same height as the end of the traverse from Marx to 1st Gully. There was a hand cranked bomb tram on the top tower to cover you with an air shot before you would boot up about 100' and then side step across the shoulder to gain the ridge. On a big day the pucker factor was pretty high. Often times the only safe spot what to climb the tower.
    Last edited by bunion; 03-21-2016 at 07:00 PM.
    Mister Man! Mister Man! Mister Man. They left this card.

I have one BB comp pass that is looking for a home.
    Dibs !

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

It is done. I will be down at the Really Big on Wednesday.

Meetup.

Quote Originally Posted by ODHGABFE View Post
    Cool looking trip, Aenigma. Been some killer skiing lately, making up nicely for the February lull.

We finally got to see what Fan Mountain is all about.

Name:  944091_10107374819040460_2730986597706186343_n.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  102.3 KB

And it's all about sweet-ass powder skiing!

Name:  12049699_10107374820497540_492929591659472440_n.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  66.4 KB

Holy smokes, it was so nice we had to do it twice. Thank goodness for running into a friendly cat near the golf course, we would have been home well after dark otherwise!

So stoked on how this spring is turning out. Can't wait to hit more objectives soon. I'm in need of more Bozeman-area touring partners, also; I only moved down the road from Big Sky but I still don't know nearly enough about the Bridgers/n. Gallatins. Have fun out there!
    Just had to post this again! Solid work. Skinned in from Jack ck years ago and got turned around on main subridge after watching the main face release. It was a long day but really cool to see the entrance for that crazy chute. Also some people were throwing down some pretty serious Billy goat lines around wolverine and hourglass on sat

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tuttle from Tacoma Washington View Post
    Posted on another forum:

Got a confirmation today that the two new lifts are under contract. Total cost over $10 mil. so I think those who think current owners are stingy must be VERY rich in comparison. Big Sky has a very efficient lift system and the two new lifts will make it even better.

Engineers have completed their lift alignment work.

Removal of the old Challenger equipment will start tomorrow.

The Challenger replacement will be a triple chair with a loading carpet. It will run 500 fpm faster than the old chair. It will be a little better in the wind because of the weight of the chairs and the cable. The dismount area at the top of lift will be reworked considerably to make it easier to get off the lift. The additional capacity is considered to be an improvement for both the Challenger and Headwaters terrain since both areas can be accessed from either lift.

The Bowl Triple will be replaced with a 90 degree loading, bubble covered, heated seat, detachable six pack. The chair will be relocated at both the top and bottom to enhance loading, unloading and traffic into and away from the lift. Enough dirt will be moved on top to allow for grooming and dismounting the lift from both the right and left sides. Improvements will be made to Upper Morningstar and the Bowl. It was noted that this style chair will be considered the standard for future chairs at Big Sky.

My personal thinking is this is clearly more capacity than is needed for skier traffic in the Bowl, Tram and Upper Morningstar but it's an indication of a future need to get more skiers up the mountain into the area of the lower Tram station.

Make your 20116-17 reservations early. It should be and EPIC season!

Snow conditions are good at Big Sky, with more snow in the forecast. If you're looking for a place to make a quick spring ski trip you should consider Big Sky.
    I'll be at BS for the first full week of April. I was looking at the website last night and it looks like a lot of the terrain off the peak is closed. Marx, Lenon and the gullies specifically as well as most of the bowl. Is this just pretty much due to shallow snow up in those areas? The pics I've seen look like there's as much if not more snow than this time last year and there was plenty in those areas. Looks like it makes taking a lap after signing up for the snow field or big and long adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    I'll be at BS for the first full week of April. I was looking at the website last night and it looks like a lot of the terrain off the peak is closed. Marx, Lenon and the gullies specifically as well as most of the bowl. Is this just pretty much due to shallow snow up in those areas? The pics I've seen look like there's as much if not more snow than this time last year and there was plenty in those areas. Looks like it makes taking a lap after signing up for the snow field or big and long adventure.

Who ya gonna believe?

Your own eyes or some website? And that interactive trail map is unreadable when I look at it but they are The Biggest Skiing in America (except for Park City)

Snowing hard right now.

Who ya gonna believe?

Your own eyes or some website? And that interactive trail map is unreadable when I look at it but they are The Biggest Skiing in America (except for Park City)

Snowing hard right now.
    Since my eyes are currently looking at warm and sunny Colorado I guess I'll have to believe the website for now. Just looking for insight as to why that side of the peak is closed, or I guess if it really is.

Since my eyes are currently looking at warm and sunny Colorado I guess I'll have to believe the website for now. Just looking for insight as to why that side of the peak is closed, or I guess if it really is.
    I haven't been down for a few days, but I'm guessing some of that terrain got closed (assuming the website is correct) because it got warm and then refroze, creating dangerous no-fall conditions. It's been skiing great up there IMO, and with the snow falling today and tonight it will hopefully re-open. Somebody who is actually there would know better than me.

Almost 7" and still coming down hard!!

Cant wait to head down tomorrow!!

14 legit inches in the past 24 hours. My yellow lab was belly deep on this morning's dog walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    14 legit inches in the past 24 hours. My yellow lab was belly deep on this morning's dog walk.
    Daisy!!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I haven't been down for a few days, but I'm guessing some of that terrain got closed (assuming the website is correct) because it got warm and then refroze, creating dangerous no-fall conditions. It's been skiing great up there IMO, and with the snow falling today and tonight it will hopefully re-open. Somebody who is actually there would know better than me.
    Looks like you called it. 14" of fresh and Lone Peak is all open. Looks like they added some closures on the head waters but I'm assuming that's avy driven. Looks like they even got A-Z open. Wishing I was coming up there a week earlier. Hopefully this weather pattern holds and temps stay down.

Last edited by bunion; 03-23-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Looks like you called it. 14" of fresh and Lone Peak is all open. Looks like they added some closures on the head waters but I'm assuming that's avy driven. Looks like they even got A-Z open. Wishing I was coming up there a week earlier. Hopefully this weather pattern holds and temps stay down.
    The Headwaters closures were so competitors could scope lines for an upcoming event. It was skiing pretty good in there today (where open). The warm temps have been relentless this season though. I guess that's what they predicted with El Nino.

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Hope it continues. Headed that way April 4-7th. If any mags want to ski let me know. Rolling solo as of now. Would like someone to ski with so I can get into the Big and the North side. Im a pretty capable skier.