Page 183 of 891 FirstFirst ... 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,575 of 22270
    Tree well situations scare the bejeebus out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Tree well situations scare the betelgeuse out of me.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Cross-posted to the Things Gapers Say thread:

I got stuck being the tour guide for some out of town friends of a friend of a friend. Met up with them at the Starbucks in the Mountain Mall. Total gapers, but I was sore & tired from yesterday's powder-fest, so I thought an easy day would be nice.

We caught the very first chair of the day up Ramcharger, these people had looked at the trail map and they really wanted to ski Sacajawea and Deep South (yes, DeepSouthMafia's favorite run). On the chair ride up the two of them are getting on my nerves, they are one of those couples who laugh at there own jokes. We unload at the top of Ramcharger and there is a rope across the access to Ponderosa, El Dorado, Sac, & Deep South; but one of the poles holding the rope up fell down, and so the rope is laying in the snow. I pointed out that the run is closed and we will have to do a different run. They came unglued. She started crying and he very loudly complained "BUT THE WEBSITE SAID THESE RUNS ARE OPEN !". I told them I am not skiing across a rope and down a run that may not have an operating lift to bring us back up. I told them my alternate suggestion, ski Africa, but they were not having any of it and starting skiing across the down rope. I decided fuck it, I don't know these people, so I turned around and went down Tippy's Tumble and got on Swifty. Never saw them again and they have not texted me. Good.
    Lol. WTF? Sounds almost like a bad date! Solid work on the ditch. Other than those idiots, I hope you're having fun out there!

In the meanwhile, we got like 2 feet of snow at the house we're staying at in Billings. Of course that's all wasted out here. I feel like a sailor. "Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink." "Snow, snow everywhere and I can't get out and ski." FML. Haha.

Going to be in Bozeman in a few days for some weekend warrior laps. Unless I'm able to get Monday off as well I'll be splitting my days between Bridger on Saturday, and Big Sky on Sunday. Glad to hear that the SW MT is also managing a decent ski season, so am looking forward to a few days back in the Gallatin.

Normally I'd avoid Big Sky due to the ticket prices, but the GF is skiing there a few days with her friends so I'm trying to make the effort to make a guest appearance for a day. Might be able to sneak away for a couple laps with a mag on either day if someone is available.

SJ

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Lol. WTF? Sounds almost like a bad date! Solid work on the ditch. Other than those idiots, I hope you're having fun out there!

In the meanwhile, we got like 2 feet of snow at the house we're staying at in Billings. Of course that's all wasted out here. I feel like a sailor. "Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink." "Snow, snow everywhere and I can't get out and ski." FML. Haha.
    Ahh yes, the ye olde Tragic City. I lived there for two years. Loathed it.

On the plus side, they leave enough of it in the street to justify 4WD and snow tires.

I dropped my gf off at BIL for a flight back east this morning...roads were fine except the I-90 ramps and in-town Billings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Those of us here and in Red Lodge who enjoy uncrowded eastern Beartooths & Absarokas every day thank you very much for leaving .

Quote Originally Posted by Wymontchoppers View Post
    Those of us here and in Red Lodge who enjoy uncrowded eastern Beartooths & Absarokas every day thank you very much for leaving .
    Ahh yes, that Billings/eastern Montana hospitality shining right through. Rock Dodge Mountain could've been fun, had it ever received consistent snow.

On the contrary! And no disrespect intended. I welcome newcomers, and am a huge promoter of/(apologist for) this area. In fact i think one of the best things Billings has going on right now is the growing skiing and climbing community. It's just that most everyone seems so content on bashing it... which I'm also fine with, for aforementioned reasons. We're at a nice equilibrium here at this point in time
    Last edited by Wymontchoppers; 01-03-2018 at 12:05 AM.

Never did understand the hate. Sure, Billings has its issues, but overall I have always really enjoyed it here. And I say this after spending the last 5 years in Big Sky. We're still technically there too, but its been nice to be back for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    On the plus side, they leave enough of it in the street to justify 4WD and snow tires.

I dropped my gf off at BIL for a flight back east this morning...roads were fine except the I-90 ramps and in-town Billings.
    Haha. You got that right. Apparently they decided to cut a bunch from the plowing budget. Not the wisest move. Our street's a total disaster. I totally should've been skiing pow down Zimmerman Trail when they had it closed the other day if only my skis weren't in Big Sky. That could've been fun!

It has always surprised me how relatively lightly used the Beartooth/Absaroka wilderness is! Absolutely insane (and incredibly accessible) backcountry skiing and other adventuring right at Billings' door step. Personally, I've always had a great time at Red Lodge too. Not exactly "gnar" like Big Sky, but some fantastic glades to be found there. Also the Beartooth Summer Ski Camp can be a total hoot. In town, rock climbing, biking, and disc golf can be awesome. It's been years since I've lived here, but Diamond X still ranks up there as the most amazing disc golf course I have ever played. Challenging as balls, but a total blast.

I think that most people who talk smack about Billings just didn't tap into all that it and the area has to offer. That's probably true of most places, though. Where you live is only what you make of it. I've lived all over the map, and globe trotted for years and this area still ranks really high for me.

I think that most people who talk smack about Billings just didn't tap into all that it and the area has to offer. That's probably true of most places, though. Where you live is only what you make of it. I've lived all over the map, and globe trotted for years and this area still ranks really high for me.
    Good point. Compromise is the only way to go when choosing a place to live, and Billings is no exception.

I know a number of college mates that moved out there after graduating MSU for their first job. Most have moved on in the couple years since, but I've heard mostly good things about that place, particularly the trail riding and the number of sunny days it receives. A good number of jobs there too and a lower cost of living certainly help as well.

Rock Dodge Mountain could've been fun, had it ever received consistent snow.
    From what I've heard, Grizzly Mountain used to get very consistent snowfall when they were surveying the region back in the 50's. It made for an attractive place to put a lift, so a bunch of locals raised the money to cut runs and string lift towers.

Apparently, they severely underestimated the wind factor that often plagues the Rocky Mtn front each winter. Even more so, they underestimated the role that the forest played in trapping snow/protecting it from wind on Grizzly. As they cut more and more runs, there was less to keep the snow in place. Hence the dilemma they find themselves in today.

^^^ For sure. I've stopped being tight-lipped about the most obvious "hidden gems" of the area. I lived in Bozeman off and on for the better part of a decade, and grew up in Jackson, so I am well aware of what Billings lacks in terms of proximity. Also well aware of the politics that go on in a place whose economy has historically been derived from energy and extractive industries.

What you do get is great breweries, lower cost of living (in fact often 1/2 as much as any "mountain" town I've lived in), outstanding job market esp in healthcare and engineering, a fun, low-key downtown life, great close to town mountain biking with a longer lasting season than probably anywhere else in Montana, cragging literally 5 min up the street from me, a brand new climbing gym, a rapidly growing climbing and backcountry skiing community.... it's hard to overstate the positive changes in the community I've seen in the 5 years I've been here (and, conversely, the negative ones I've seen in the Gallatin Valley :/ ).

And Red Lodge- probably not many other places you can live 10min from a ski area and have a cost of living comparable to Billings. You may not have "ridge terrain" or alpine terrain, but there are few places I've had more fun on a 25" base. On a typical midwinter day, you'll find yourself banging out laps on Cole Cr, skiing cold, soft snow a week after the last storm, with its north aspect having been cross groomed overnight making super smooth alpine buff. And you and your homies will have the entire zone to yourselves- seeing a half dozen other people over there is a big day.

But everyone is entitled to their opinions. Sorry your experience here sucked Bobcat Sig. I'd be curious as to why.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    From what I've heard, Grizzly Mountain used to get very consistent snowfall when they were surveying the region back in the 50's. It made for an attractive place to put a lift, so a bunch of locals raised the money to cut runs and string lift towers.

Apparently, they severely underestimated the wind factor that often plagues the Rocky Mtn front each winter. Even more so, they underestimated the role that the forest played in trapping snow/protecting it from wind on Grizzly. As they cut more and more runs, there was less to keep the snow in place. Hence the dilemma they find themselves in today.
    I heard that, due to the difficulty of midwinter travel, they did the surveying in the spring. I can only speak about the past few years from personal experience, but it seems like RLM always has more snow two weeks after closing day then in the middle of March. Anyone bored enough to verify could look at the historical SnoTEL data for 407. It would be nice if they'd beef up the snowmaking for early-season security, but I don't think that's a popular idea with beancounters.

The summit elevation is definitely an overall benefit, but the wind kinda comes with that.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I can only speak about the past few years from personal experience, but it seems like RLM always has more snow two weeks after closing day then in the middle of March.
    Anecdotally, I can verify that, at least since 2013! Scrolling through iPhone photos of the last few years shows me typically the biggest pow days are after lifts close too

And Red Lodge- probably not many other places you can live 10min from a ski area and have a cost of living comparable to Billings.
    Not to mention a really cool mountain town. A little overly busy in the summer but still a nice place.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Anecdotally, I can verify that, at least since 2013! Scrolling through iPhone photos of the last few years shows me typically the biggest pow days are after lifts close too
    Yup. Same here. Spring/"Summer" 2011 was off the hook. Rock Creek Headwall pow laps right off the Beartooth Highway! I also remember getting some nice turns at Red Lodge in like June of 2012 or '13. Had to earn them, but it was fun.

People who talk trash about this area obviously weren't doing enough of this:

or this...

Disclaimer: Images poached from teh Googles. I posted some pics of my own many years ago, but I'll have to dig 'em up.

The Beartooths (and their close proximity to Billings) makes living here worth it alone. Lots of goods in other parts of the state too, but the wilderness and its insanely easy access to it is REALLY hard to beat.

Great skiing in the NW region of the Bridgers today, and nobody else around to track any of it up! The new snow seems to be behaving better now, but the old crust layer sitting on top of a bunch of large-grained facets is spooky, so I'd recommend leaving your GoPros, Red Bulls, and fist bumps at home for the time being.

Yup. Same here. Spring/"Summer" 2011 was off the hook. Rock Creek Headwall pow laps right off the Beartooth Highway! I also remember getting some nice turns at Red Lodge in like June of 2012 or '13. Had to earn them, but it was fun.

The Beartooths (and their close proximity to Billings) makes living here worth it alone. Lots of goods in other parts of the state too, but the wilderness and its insanely easy access to it is REALLY hard to beat.
    Shhhh. Nothing to see here, move along now.

Xmas trip to the zone was a success... a Mini TR.
    (some photos from crappy phone cam... sorry)

Skied Bridger on December 26 with my dad and brother. Town was cold at 0F but that kept the tourons in their jammies and the ski hill quiet.

Breaus had been shredding the M.

Skied a bunch of Slushman's laps, then a ridge hike and some fast Bridger laps to close the fine day. Slushman's is so fuckin great.

My bro is a goober and a great ski pal.

Saw this beater picking up his carcass after racking into a series of stumps (tread lightly under the trees, kids!):

It was a pretty evening with long shadows out the valleys, and the back-glow treat for last run:

Did some town stuff... punched my new boot shells and let the girl ramble under the watchful gaze of ol Manager Stu, got the tires siped, took a walk past the bone-strewn sledding hill, waxed skis while my old man welded my bro's buckles for like the third time...

Family day at BB was great. My little girl got her first chairlift ride up to the DPC, and everyone took turns skiing and hanging with her at the corner window. Got to make some turns with my wife, a rare treat. Kid stood on her own skis for the first time after we skied back to the base area.

Wrapped up the week with a sweet morning tour at the town hill. Thanks again, Aenigma.

Spied a train full of wind turbine parts on the drive home.

Nice, glad to see you timed it well. Right down to the back glow. Gotta love the back glow. Been a pretty good start but for more vigorous and frequent downhill wind events than average. If I remember right the epic 2008 year had a lot of wind between storms too, especially the first half of the season.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

^^
    Solid work, Norse! Thanks for sharing!

Sorry we didn't connect this time Scotty! Great shots though, looks like you had a wonderful trip.

On the contrary! And no disrespect intended. I welcome newcomers, and am a huge promoter of/(apologist for) this area. In fact i think one of the best things Billings has going on right now is the growing skiing and climbing community. It's just that most everyone seems so content on bashing it... which I'm also fine with, for aforementioned reasons. We're at a nice equilibrium here at this point in time
    It certainly sounds much better than when I resided there. A weird social dynamic, that town.

Never did understand the hate. Sure, Billings has its issues, but overall I have always really enjoyed it here. And I say this after spending the last 5 years in Big Sky. We're still technically there too, but its been nice to be back for the time being.
    On the surface, perhaps. But try living there and peeling back the thin veneer. I'll admit that some of my dour attitude towards Billings was due to properly shitty job at the time. Still, the city did not help.

^^^ For sure. I've stopped being tight-lipped about the most obvious "hidden gems" of the area. I lived in Bozeman off and on for the better part of a decade, and grew up in Jackson, so I am well aware of what Billings lacks in terms of proximity. Also well aware of the politics that go on in a place whose economy has historically been derived from energy and extractive industries.

What you do get is great breweries, lower cost of living (in fact often 1/2 as much as any "mountain" town I've lived in), outstanding job market esp in healthcare and engineering, a fun, low-key downtown life, great close to town mountain biking with a longer lasting season than probably anywhere else in Montana, cragging literally 5 min up the street from me, a brand new climbing gym, a rapidly growing climbing and backcountry skiing community.... it's hard to overstate the positive changes in the community I've seen in the 5 years I've been here (and, conversely, the negative ones I've seen in the Gallatin Valley :/ ).

And Red Lodge- probably not many other places you can live 10min from a ski area and have a cost of living comparable to Billings. You may not have "ridge terrain" or alpine terrain, but there are few places I've had more fun on a 25" base. On a typical midwinter day, you'll find yourself banging out laps on Cole Cr, skiing cold, soft snow a week after the last storm, with its north aspect having been cross groomed overnight making super smooth alpine buff. And you and your homies will have the entire zone to yourselves- seeing a half dozen other people over there is a big day.

But everyone is entitled to their opinions. Sorry your experience here sucked Bobcat Sig. I'd be curious as to why.
    Much to discuss regarding my time in Billings, preferably over many beers. I'll also say that the three or so winters I lived there were some of the driest for RLM. I don't think Cole Creek opened once that entire time.

Mind you, this was mid 2000s that I was living in Billings, which seems to be a much different place now - thankfully. I often used to joke that people who love Billings never made it any farther west to see how good it could be. Though that was before the Gallatin Valley really started to erupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Not to mention a really cool mountain town. A little overly busy in the summer but still a nice place.
    Red Lodge was the saving grave. I loved that town. In the winter, it was the respite I needed. And in the summer, when the highway was open, it was the playground on which I killed a great deal of hydrocarbons on my motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Xmas trip to the zone was a success... a Mini TR.
    Doing it right!

Fuck, I miss winters in the GV.

I just want to thank everyone...The drive up to the hill was like the Indy 500 today compared to the last few weeks, only a literal handful of our very own fine people venturing away from the lifts, a couple inches and some wind to smooth things out a bit. It's the little things in life.

P.S. that is a really cool shot of the M Norseman, I wish I would have hit it at it's peak, when those tracks were put up there, looks like it was fun.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra