Page 410 of 892 FirstFirst ... 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 ... LastLast
Results 10,226 to 10,250 of 22283
    It's a for-profit company with very little invested in the actual community, not sure why everyone is so surprised about this.

someone really needs to put the fire to that trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    It's a for-profit company with very little invested in the actual community, not sure why everyone is so surprised about this.
    Not surprised in the least.

When the good times are no longer good time to vote with your feet.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Glad I got a Bronze pass when I did. What about the Montana pass? Is that gone as well, or do they just randomly announce it?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah, the Bronze has been a smokin' deal. Too good for the bean counters I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    I don't think we're surprised, we're just frustrated.

In particular, Big Sky's decision not to offer a Big Sky only pass with full access to the mountain but without rolling in the added costs of an Ikon pass is a tough sell. I live here and cant really get away to chase storms elsewhere. The ikon is not an added benefit, just an added cost.

I'd gladly pay last year's gold pass rate (plus a bit of annual inflation) for the equivalent of last year's gold pass if it were offered. As is, I'm not so sure.

Seems like they're leaving money on the table by not offering that product, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Wife and I finally pulled the plug and we're giving up on Bozeman. But we'll be back to visit with our new Ikon passes next year!
    You staying in Montana?

Quote Originally Posted by elesquiador View Post
    I don't think we're surprised, we're just frustrated.

In particular, Big Sky's decision not to offer a Big Sky only pass with full access to the mountain but without rolling in the added costs of an Ikon pass is a tough sell. I live here and cant really get away to chase storms elsewhere. The ikon is not an added benefit, just an added cost.

I'd gladly pay last year's gold pass rate (plus a bit of annual inflation) for the equivalent of last year's gold pass if it were offered. As is, I'm not so sure.

Seems like they're leaving money on the table by not offering that product, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

I e-mailed the BS GM those exact thoughts last night, I encourage others to do the same.

Tnedved@bigskyresort.com
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    While I do understand the angst, take a look at JH and Aspens equivalent to the our Gold Pass. Full price of $2300-$2500 for esentially what we are getting for $1700. Yes, it's farther for us to storm chase to Ikon mtns, etc.

I guess I haven't been here long enough to be jaded. This is really no surprise at all. I guess the ski industry has been fucked since I first moved out west in 2003, so I don't know any different.

I'd rather live here and "pay out the ass" to ski all season for $40/day than have to live in a city somewhere and shlep back and forth for 5-7 days of skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Glad I got a Bronze pass when I did. What about the Montana pass? Is that gone as well, or do they just randomly announce it?

MT pass (Sept 2019) and April pass(early 2020), typically get announced later. But looks like they might be replacing with the flex 5.

be real interesting to see how management deals with something like this....hopefully does not happen here.....seems like you need a community if it does....

Name:  hmmm.png
Views: 385
Size:  27.6 KB

************************************************** **********************************************
    a few days later......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epicPassVirus.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	291.3 KB 
ID:	319078
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

No offense but this kind of thinking is exactly why things keep changing. People move from _____and say "but it's still better/cheaper than whatever overcrowded shithole I moved here from" whatever things change, I get it.

(From some guy who was not born in montana)

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    While I do understand the angst, take a look at JH and Aspens equivalent to the our Gold Pass. Full price of $2300-$2500 for esentially what we are getting for $1700. Yes, it's farther for us to storm chase to Ikon mtns, etc.

I guess I haven't been here long enough to be jaded. This is really no surprise at all. I guess the ski industry has been fucked since I first moved out west in 2003, so I don't know any different.

I'd rather live here and "pay out the ass" to ski all season for $40/day than have to live in a city somewhere and shlep back and forth for 5-7 days of skiing.
    fwiw.....difference: aspen passes have been consistently high....not low, then upped overnight on whim afaik
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

This nailed it!!! Instead of up charging Ikons to use the Tram, they are thinning the line by charging locals more!!! Boyne just sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by elesquiador View Post
    Also, the astronomically priced gold pass is the only one that lets you ski the tram on all of your ski days. They're trying to mitigate the tram line for their high dollar vacationers by keeping the locals away.

Seattle Times doing their part to encourage the 30,000 Pugetopolis Ikon/covid-19 holders to head your direction:

Bozeman beckons winter adventurers to Montana for a college-meets-ski-town getaway

Take a look at JH and Aspens equivalent to the our Gold Pass. Full price of $2300-$2500 for essentially what we are getting for $1700.
    Bullshit comparisons.

Aspen has 3 world class mountains for that price. How often do their lifts not run because they are broken? How do they manage days when the mountains are crowded?

JHMR is a little closer but then again we don't have 1/10th of the lift served BC available there.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    fwiw.....difference: aspen passes have been consistently high....not low, then upped overnight on whim afaik
    Valid point though. I'm no marketing/exec so I may be way off base, but as other's have pointed out already: A random jump in price just pushes more buyers/$$ away instead of a slow steady increase which might have taken a few more seasons, but would not push out so many people so fast.

I guess the only way this makes any sense would be if the Ikon check they get every year is so fat that they literally just don't want anyone local to actually ski at the hill. Would really love to see #s and pass breakdowns RE: 17/18 > 18/19 > 19/20.

Again, I don't want to start complaining until I get a sled and/or some skimo weight weenie shit and decide to stop riding lifts altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    You staying in Montana?
    We've been thinking about leaving for a while, and the question always is where is better? We finally decided all ski towns in America are out of control, so either stay here or give up on living in a ski town. Our kids don't love skiing and we have to force them to go every time, and I've had two gimp years in a row, so when my wife got a great job offer in Wyoming we jumped on it.

Bozeman is still great and the skiing here is still great too. It has just changed and what we love about skiing is disappearing. I like living near skiing so I can hit powder mornings but I bail a lot of snow days now because of traffic and crowds. And with all the warming (and lots more to come) I'm not sure convincing my kids to pursue this sport will serve them well long term.

I'll do more backcountry and Ikon it up at Jackson, here, UT, etc. It's my turn to be part of the problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Watching the Freeride comp on BRT is fun.

Attachment 318958

Heh.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dontvailbigsky.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	319089

my wife got a great job offer in Wyoming we jumped on it.
    Congrats, low taxes, still lots of wide opens.

Or compare it to Boyne New England: $1,549 for the Platinum or $1,169 for the Gold. I get the lack of a comparable product to the Gold being annoying (i.e. full access to the primary hill every day of the season), but if you want to do cost-benefit analysis, $150ish bucks more for Big Sky vs. Sunday River, Sugarloaf and Loon seems like a pretty good deal (comparatively).

I guess I haven't been here long enough to be jaded.
    I'm pretty sure there are plenty of MSU-Bozeman students who demonstrate that it's not only a function of time.

This is really no surprise at all. I guess the ski industry has been fucked since I first moved out west in 2003, so I don't know any different.

There are days when I get pretty annoyed that the town I grew up in (and now live in again) has gone from a small town with a big ski area, surrounded by a lot of forestry, to a ton of insanely* expensive, occupied-ten-days-a-year McMansions scattered around the same small town and skiing that hasn't changed a whole lot since. But if you compare the economic well-being of people who have been here all along and managed to make lemonade rather than bitch about change to that of people in similar-sized towns without the tourist income...I'll take the tradeoff. You need skiers from away to support the ski industry.

Until the they decide to put a stoplight in, that is. Then I'm out, and hopefully I've convinced my wife that moving to Montana is reasonable by then, because we can't afford Vermont.

*: by local standards, at least

Quote Originally Posted by BigSkyfan View Post
    This nailed it!!! Instead of up charging Ikons to use the Tram, they are thinning the line by charging locals more!!! Boyne just sucks.
    Vibes for you guys. That is some straight BS being pulled. If anything Ikon passers should be paying extra to use the tram.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Or compare it to Boyne New England: $1,549 for the Platinum or $1,169 for the Gold. I get the lack of a comparable product to the Gold being annoying (i.e. full access to the primary hill every day of the season), but if you want to do cost-benefit analysis, $150ish bucks more for Big Sky vs. Sunday River, Sugarloaf and Loon seems like a pretty good deal (comparatively).
    No, sounds to me that Sunday River, Sugarloaf and Loon are a fucking rip off. In reality comparing resorts don't mean shit and is a waste of time, no matter your angle. Nobody wants to here when they are getting fucked how they should look on the brightside, because at least they don't have a second dick in their mouth too!

Bullshit comparisons.

Aspen has 3 world class mountains for that price. How often do their lifts not run because they are broken? How do they manage days when the mountains are crowded?

JHMR is a little closer but then again we don't have 1/10th of the lift served BC available there.
    Some facts: My jhmr pass last season, bought in the spring, cost me $1475.
    That included an Ikon base pass for free.
    And free tram rides all spring/summer/fall.
    And a free bus pass.
    Except Sublette chair, All lifts are newer and in good shape: 2 - 8 person gondolas, a 100 person tram, 4 HSQs. Fast movers down here.

In 1990, my first season pass cost $1295 if I remember aright. Only in the past few years have they become completely unashamed to make absurd prices stick; late purchasers, mostly.

2500 acres inbounds, not particularly large, by western standards. 25M acres of sidecountry.

Methinks the Big haz moar shaks tho.

WMD - What town ya heading to?

^ not making me feel any less grumpy.

Congrats, low taxes, still lots of wide opens.
    Thanks! It will be different but I'm stoked to live by the Wind Rivers.