Page 377 of 891 FirstFirst ... 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 ... LastLast
Results 9,401 to 9,425 of 22261
    In my head, I just assume the people out on Saddle when it's orange or red are straight up clueless, but then I've seen some people marching out there on those days who really should, and do, know better....some serious human factor stuff at play on Saddle Peak.

I agree...even a near miss like this won't deter people. I bet there's people tracking up the flanks right now!

Turns out flirting with winter conditions is not limited to the Bridgers. This from KBZK:

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK — A little more than a week ago, a Yellowstone National Park Search and Rescue team pulled a man to safety from nearly 900 down in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Dave Christensen, 55, of Winamac, Indiana was there illegally.

Yellowstone National Park officials said the rescue of Christensen was difficult and dangerous. “It took four 600-foot ropes, said Canyon District Ranger Klint Powell who served as the Incident Commander for the rescue. Powell said it was clear Christensen intended to attempt to scale the cliff face all along. Powell said, “He had the gear, had a rope, had an ice axe.”

Powell used a unique method to get access to the canyon, which is closed to normal vehicles in the winter months. Most people can only access interior parts of the park on a guided snowmobile or slowcoach tour. But some are allowed to get permits for unguided trips into the park so long as they know and follow park rules. Christensen obtained one of those permits.

He and a friend snowmobiled to Lookout Point where Christensen tried to rappel to the bottom while his friend waited above with a two way radio. But Christensen made a big mistake in planning his adventure. “It was 850 feet down to the river, I think his rope was only 360 feet,” said Powell.

So Christensen jumped off his rope and scrambled to the river but he couldn’t make it back to the rope. Powell noted, “He had to go through drifts up to five feet high.”

Weather was also a problem. As is often the case, the canyon was windy and cold and a snow storm was moving in. Christensen radioed his friend asking for help. That’s when a ranger led Search and Rescue crew of eleven from both Canyon and Old Faithful rushed in.

One expert climber was lowered to the stranded man. “It was a long slow haul,” said Powell. Besides the worsening weather, there were other big obstacles. The volcanic rock in the canyon breaks easily making the cliffs dangerous.

Powell said, “There’s always potential for avalanche danger as well.” It took 6 hours to complete the rescue.“ There were times where they would fall head first into the drifts while we’re still pulling up,” said Powell. He added, “What makes this place special is its wildness, but it’s got to be respected.”

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Turns out flirting with winter conditions is not limited to the Bridgers. This from KBZK:

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK — A little more than a week ago, a Yellowstone National Park Search and Rescue team pulled a man to safety from nearly 900 down in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Dave Christensen, 55, of Winamac, Indiana was there illegally.

Yellowstone National Park officials said the rescue of Christensen was difficult and dangerous. “It took four 600-foot ropes, said Canyon District Ranger Klint Powell who served as the Incident Commander for the rescue. Powell said it was clear Christensen intended to attempt to scale the cliff face all along. Powell said, “He had the gear, had a rope, had an ice axe.”

Powell used a unique method to get access to the canyon, which is closed to normal vehicles in the winter months. Most people can only access interior parts of the park on a guided snowmobile or slowcoach tour. But some are allowed to get permits for unguided trips into the park so long as they know and follow park rules. Christensen obtained one of those permits.

He and a friend snowmobiled to Lookout Point where Christensen tried to rappel to the bottom while his friend waited above with a two way radio. But Christensen made a big mistake in planning his adventure. “It was 850 feet down to the river, I think his rope was only 360 feet,” said Powell.

So Christensen jumped off his rope and scrambled to the river but he couldn’t make it back to the rope. Powell noted, “He had to go through drifts up to five feet high.”

Weather was also a problem. As is often the case, the canyon was windy and cold and a snow storm was moving in. Christensen radioed his friend asking for help. That’s when a ranger led Search and Rescue crew of eleven from both Canyon and Old Faithful rushed in.

One expert climber was lowered to the stranded man. “It was a long slow haul,” said Powell. Besides the worsening weather, there were other big obstacles. The volcanic rock in the canyon breaks easily making the cliffs dangerous.

Powell said, “There’s always potential for avalanche danger as well.” It took 6 hours to complete the rescue.“ There were times where they would fall head first into the drifts while we’re still pulling up,” said Powell. He added, “What makes this place special is its wildness, but it’s got to be respected.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgge View Post
    In my head, I just assume the people out on Saddle when it's orange or red are straight up clueless, but then I've seen some people marching out there on those days who really should, and do, know better....some serious human factor stuff at play on Saddle Peak.

I agree...even a near miss like this won't deter people. I bet there's people tracking up the flanks right now!
    Reminds me of this from last year: https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/a...=706&accfm=inv

Entirely preventable and predictable but people manage to tell themselves stories that trump even the most obvious red flags.

I think "Bozeman Considerable" should be right up there with "Teton Considerable."

Wind affected meh at the rock this afternoon but a nice couple hours nonetheless.

Check out the size of the crown on this slide today on Henderson. Holy shit.

Good thing I hurt my ribs snowmobiling on the 2nd. Makes it real easy to keep out of avy terrain.

6am driveway report: Snowing. Currently about an inch but coming down hard. Temp +24F.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Reminds me of this from last year: https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/a...=706&accfm=inv

Entirely preventable and predictable but people manage to tell themselves stories that trump even the most obvious red flags.

I think "Bozeman Considerable" should be right up there with "Teton Considerable."
    Tread lightly on that incident. Pete knew what he was risking, he felt it was worth it. Same thing for Tony the year before.

Main takeaways are solo means fatal if you fuck up and most people believe that they can manage risk a lot better than they actually can.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

In Bozeman? Not a chance. Everyone here is invincible until they're not.
    What does this mean and who specifically are you talking about?
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

BB is garbage this am, BS is definitely the call.

8am update: 6 inches now, currently nuking.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Welp, that's all I needed. Heading out now.

Anyone want to meet up?

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    I wasn't referencing anyone in particular in that post, moreso the risk culture here. The tracks down the face of Saddle are a great example of what I mean. The wind was whipping that morning and snow transport was plainly visible. The bar for risk management here for many people (again: no one in particular, but ski tracks show that these people exist) is set in such a way that the desire to ski consequential terrain outweighs anything else.

I like skiing big lines but doing it in the middle of the winter, particularly this winter, isn't my thing. Maybe I'm hyper risk-averse or just a wimp?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I'm about to get on a plane to the Dirty. You are welcome for the snow!

6am driveway report: Snowing. Currently about an inch but coming down hard. Temp +24F.

11am: still nuking

Stupid question: Has anything been open off the tram other than Liberty Bowl at all this year?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Stupid question: Has anything been open off the tram other than Liberty Bowl at all this year?
    The Big Couloir was open for a time.

No tram laps today, but great skiing the fresh snow at Big Sky. The breeze provided refills in spots. Connected with swimmy to make some powder turns. Lots of fresh even on my last run.

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    Well..... I did see an invincible blonde patroller with a big smile at the top of Challenger at about 12:40. Visibility was improving a bit and she and her teammates were heading up to try and get Zone 1 of Headwaters open. Why? Because they still give a shit. Big time thanks to all of em.

I like skiing big lines but doing it in the middle of the winter, particularly this winter, isn't my thing. Maybe I'm hyper risk-averse or just a wimp?
    Or maybe you have figured out what works for you. The guy who triggered that slide is a long time BB skier who has had a few dances with the beast. One day he may not be so fortunate but that is his call. And NO, I would not have skied that line under any circumstance.

Harry, thanks for the early report, it was just enough to get me to re-evaluate the computer model and decide to drive down. I am toasted but Challenger, Alder/Cold Spring skied very well.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

. The bar for risk management here for many people (again: no one in particular, but ski tracks show that these people exist) is set in such a way that the desire to ski consequential terrain outweighs anything else.
    But is that a problem?

Ah, I see Bunion made the point already and much more eloquently.

Friday, new snow, light crowds, and tons of low hanging fruit. I can dig it.

Met up with Talisman and followed him around through some of his stashes.

Think we even had a Bunion sighting in K Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    But is that a problem?

Ah, I see Bunion made the point already and much more eloquently.
    I think it is but I won't go into why. Having said all that I've said, I would never support limiting access or taking away the option for people to make their own choices with regard to how they choose to manage risk. However, no one is beyond criticism no matter how long they've been around, whether the criticism is right or wrong or just plain dumb. I've been all three of those things and will be again without any doubt.

Bunion is really good at making solid points in a succinct way.

This morning at 6800 feet above sea level it is 12*F, no new snow and calm wind.

Noon update: sunshine and full lift corrals. Time to get after snowshoe gnar and work on a home project.
    Last edited by Talisman; 01-18-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Couldn't find my password after I cleared my cookies

Swimmy thanks again for showin us jongs the schlasman side. Albeit just for a lap. Riding that fine line between being too tuckered and if you don't hit it this year, you'll be a year older when ya do. Safe to say that was the best skiing I've had comin from the EC.

Harry, sorry I couldn't make it down. Chompin at the bit for my return.I'll ski ya next time.

Oops. What I meant to say is Montana sucks.
    Stay far far away😁

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post

What a douche move...and thus comes an end to the Non Guided Snowmobile Permit Program. We have been lucky enough to win the lottery for these permits 2 of the last 3 years. Its awesome to be able to go into the park without a guide if you know how to proceed with respect.