Page 223 of 891 FirstFirst ... 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,575 of 22256
    Quote Originally Posted by JaBr View Post
    I have been using Zillow for the most part due to ease of searching, but maybe that's not the best resource to use?
    Zillow sucks. Try this site:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...rch/Big-Sky_MT

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Be happy to summarize why I like Helena.

1. Affordable housing
    2. Central location for exploring Montana, and four or five excellent ski areas within a couple hours (Bridger Bowl, Big Sky, Discovery Basin, Snowbowl, and even Showdown, which I mention because they have a REALLY cheap daycare in the lodge and you have a 10-week old kid)
    3. The fun South Hills trail system is very accessible for hiking and biking right from town
    4. Steady economy with professional opportunities, mostly related to state government but not exclusively
    5. Chill vibe, no attitude--buncha dorks basically, but fun dorks who like to get after it outside

Downsides

1. Our local ski area, Great Divide, while being affordable and friendly (and a great place to teach kids), is marginal in terms of terrain and snow conditions.
    2. No night life
    3. Mediocre restaurants (although pretty good breweries)
    4. Limited shopping if you care about that (although close enough to Missoula and Bozeman that day-tripping for shopping, nightlife, and restaurants is pretty easy
    5. Edit to add: You mentioned backcountry skiing, and while there is backcountry around Helena--there's even a thread about it on here that can give your some info--suffice to say you will find far superior backcountry skiing opportunities near Bozeman, Missoula, and Kalispell/Whitefish.
    Thank you for the info and thank you for the realtor.com suggestion. No idea why I didn't look there sooner. I think I just like the ease of using Zillow's map feature. I saw many more options on Realtor.com looking for 20 seconds than Zillow though, great idea. I'll spend some time looking on there later tonight (if I can get some time).

#4 on your pro's is always a concern. Though, I am planning to get my feet wet with this job and get settled in and make sure it is what I/we want before making the move. Still, that's always a concern either way.

Downsides: we're not much for going out at night, partying, shopping, etc. We like my wife's home-cooked meals other than a couple of nights out per month to give her a break and to get out. Otherwise, we don't go out and drink much or do that kind of stuff. In that regard, we're quite boring. Not big shoppers either.

I only mentioned backcountry because of some of the research I've been doing, looking at Beartooth Pass, etc. Neither my wife nor I have done any BC yet, but as our son gets older and better than both of us (shouldn't take long), I'm hoping to do more BC exploring. That isn't a deal-breaker at all though. IMO, we'd get much more use out of a resort being close than having better BC access.

FYI there is a map feature on realtor.com too, if you prefer to view that way. It is kind of nice when you are getting oriented to a new area.

Good luck with your search. Hard to go wrong in Montana no matter where you end up.

You probably already know this, but take it from a fellow telecommuter; make sure you have access to good internet wherever you finally end up. Satellite internet will NOT be good enough. Lots of good remote properties, and even some close-in ones, don’t have even basic DSL.

FYI there is a map feature on realtor.com too, if you prefer to view that way. It is kind of nice when you are getting oriented to a new area.

Good luck with your search. Hard to go wrong in Montana no matter where you end up.
    Oh I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    You probably already know this, but take it from a fellow telecommuter; make sure you have access to good internet wherever you finally end up. Satellite internet will NOT be good enough. Lots of good remote properties, and even some close-in ones, don’t have even basic DSL.
    I did not really even think of it until today. Mostly taken good internet for granted I must say.

I lived in Missoula for 25 years and in Big Sky for 10 years, 35 years total in Montana. This state has a very live-and-let-live attitude that I don't find in other states. Example: in Wisconsin where I grew up, there are cops everywhere. You can't go 10 or 15 miles on the interstate without seeing a cop in the median shooting radar and giving out tickets for 2 or 3 mph over. I have never seen anything remotely like that here.

Anywhere you choose to live in this state is a good choice.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

<snip>
    I did not really even think of it until today. Mostly taken good internet for granted I must say.
    Yeah... you can't really do that when you're talking west of the Mississippi.

This stuff has been discussed quite a bit on TGR so no real reason to rehash it all. The below thread on Kalispell/Whitefish would be a good place to get some info about that area.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ight=kalispell

This thread should give you some insights into living in Big Sky/Bozeman area:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ig+sky+bozeman
    Another area to check out is Livingston/Paradise Valley. Close to Bozeman and Bridger Bowl.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I lived in Missoula for 25 years and in Big Sky for 10 years, 35 years total in Montana. This state has a very live-and-let-live attitude that I don't find in other states. Example: in Wisconsin where I grew up, there are cops everywhere. You can't go 10 or 15 miles on the interstate without seeing a cop in the median shooting radar and giving out tickets for 2 or 3 mph over. I have never seen anything remotely like that here.

Anywhere you choose to live in this state is a good choice.
    Well that's good to hear. Which area are you currently in? Do you have a preference?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah... you can't really do that when you're talking west of the Mississippi.
    I do appreciate you guys making sure I'm aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnar_Shralp406 View Post
    Another area to check out is Livingston/Paradise Valley. Close to Bozeman and Bridger Bowl.
    Yeah, there seems to be some housing options in those areas, I haven't ruled that out if we want to be in/near Bozeman.

Well that's good to hear. Which area are you currently in? Do you have a preference?
    I live in Big Sky currently, I have a slopeside mansion that doubles as a crash pad for visiting maggots like DJONGo Unchained and skifishbum.

I will tell you that I miss the cultural opportunities in Missoula. Being the home of a liberal arts university meant there was always something interesting going on in town. Big Sky is the exact opposite in that regard. So you have to self-entertain yourself by skiing, flyfishing, hiking, or mountain biking every day. It is a rough life, but somehow I manage.

You should post up some pics of your wife's tits so that we can better decide for you where to live.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Finally, someone asking for relevant information.

Hey fellow local mags. I work as an instructor up at the YC full time in the winter, and I am getting tired of the commute everyday from Bozeman. I love my place in Bozo so I don't really wanna move completely, but I would love a room to stay in in the meadow in Big Sky.

I am a licensed and insured painting contractor, so I could do some paint work in exchange for crashing a couple nights a week from mid December to April.

I would also be interested in some sort of live in caretaker/property manager thing if you know anyone who would need that sort of thing. I'm neat, non-smoking, non-partying, and like I said I am insured up to $2Million for liability, so a simple work contract would cover your ass.

Shoot me a PM if you know of anything, I don't check here often.

You teach skiing at the Y/C and don't have a horde of trophy wives wanting to put you up as their Cabana boy?

You need to up your game....

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    You teach skiing at the Y/C and don't have a horde of trophy wives wanting to put you up as their Cabana boy?

You need to up your game....
    I know, I even teach their kids, so I've got the "good with kids" angle covered too.

2nd post on the TGR forum (been lurking a while) and this is probably not the best place to put this, but can't find much for MT-talk on other forums...

My wife and I have been to Big Sky each of the past 2 seasons. I am starting a new job which will allow me to work remotely and we are eyeing Montana as an option to move as we have loved our time there.
    Figured I'd post in here and give it a shot to see if anyone has any good suggestions for me with places to look, areas I might not have thought about, etc.

We do have a young son (only 2 months old!) so we are also thinking about schools in the area and social aspect for him as well... something else for me to keep in mind while doing my search. My wife and I both snowboard and hope to get our son out on the snow as soon as possible.

Thanks!
    Jake
    oblig snide remark: Montana is full, but I hear North Dakota is nice this time of year.

Speaking as someone who just moved east (family reasons) after four years in Red Lodge, I'd strongly suggest you put it on your list, as well. The lift-served skiing can't touch Big Sky or Bridger during the winter, but locals get grumpy when there are five people ahead of them when they get to the lift. The town itself is a real community, despite being focused on tourism, and the Internet situation in town is fairly decent (Charter cable, which is reasonably quick, and CenturyLink DSL, which sucks for upload speeds, both serve the city proper). If you want to get out of the city core for more room for the dogs, verify Internet availability; Charter is in-town only, and the CenturyLink speeds drop off quick when you get more rural.

Backcountry access in the winter isn't great; if you get a sled (or sleds), there are a lot more options, though, including driving around towards Cooke.

The school system seems to be very well-regarded, too.

The fire over by Ennis makes it look like Lone Peak is an erupting volcano.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1534207988.889417.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	303.7 KB 
ID:	243990

Be happy to summarize why I like Helena.

1. Close to the Mo for awesome trout fishing
    FIFY

Boyne posted up this year's version of the Frequent Skier card, ahem Frequent Sky card, pardon The Sky card, wait the Montana pass.

Git you some Pig Sty skiin fer cheap dirtbags.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhucker View Post
    What trail did you ride? Definitely a few bears in there, one left his dirty pawprints all over the hut this spring, luckily wasn't motivated enough to break in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app
    IDFG relocated a big grizzly from the Idaho side of the Centennials to Jellystone this summer. Weighed in at 538lb and was 7-8 years old. They said he was the biggest bear they had handled in a really, really long time. Seen photos of his tracks along the A2/Kilgore road across from Sheridan during the wet spring. Not sure if he's made his way back to the area yet, but he is a big guy. I think they trapped him somewhere along in Dry Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi-Bell View Post
    FIFY

Boyne posted up this year's version of the Frequent Skier card, ahem Frequent Sky card, pardon The Sky card, wait the Montana pass.

Git you some Pig Sty skiin fer cheap dirtbags.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app
    So now we're back to one week at the end of the season and have three at the start. Hmm, Pray for early snow.

Quote Originally Posted by racesla View Post
    So now we're back to one week at the end of the season and have three at the start. Hmm, Pray for early snow.
    It's probably too much to hope for a repeat of last November 28th on Challenger. But it's fun to remember the beginning of a great season...

Name:	20171128_123316.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	244643

Fuck This Smoke.

60 degrees, blowing like fuck from the NNe and still can't see shit. Best vis all day was down at MLB.

Name:	KIMG0366.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	564.8 KB 
ID:	244673

Well, at least now it is raining. Pity to the poor bastards camping tonight.
    Last edited by Not bunion; 08-20-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Been raining steady in Big Sky for 3 hours straight. Hopefully it cleans out some smoke.

The S word.

Maybe it will quell some of this smoke.

Special Weather Statement issued August 26 at 4:59AM MDT by NWS Great Falls MT

A potent storm system will begin to affect the Northern Rockies today, lingering through Monday night. Falling temperatures tonight will allow precipitation to change over to snow and or a rain snow mix above 6500 feet across the mountains of Southwest Montana. Precipitation is expected to continue in the form of snow Monday and Monday night, with some periods of rain mixing in during the daylight hours. Snowfall accumulations of one to two inches is possible between 6500 and 8500 feet across Southwest Montana, with up to four inches possible above 8500 feet. Those working or recreating in the mountains should be prepared for cold, wet, and adverse conditions.

^^^ they upped the snowfall to 2 to 8 inches, and lowered the elevation down to 6,000 feet.

Currently at 7,500 feet it is lightly raining.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1535417541.111068.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	446.1 KB 
ID:	245394