Page 219 of 892 FirstFirst ... 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,475 of 22285
    Greetings, Montana mags!

After rambling around Idaho and Wyoming for a few years, I’ve finally gotten my shit together and moved to Bozeman.

So far, I’ve been really surprised by how nice folks around town have been to a “newcomer” and wanted to give y’all a shout out here on the board too.

I’m going to be camping out for a while in Hyalite and doing some very newby-ish climbing stuff while getting set up. Otherwise, I’m pretty stoked on the beartooth shred fest coming up too!

Hit me up if ya have any shenanigans going on that could use stoke / rap music or general goofiness. Name:  IMG_1651.JPG
Views: 517
Size:  103.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1602.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	236687

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Where did you find that picture of me on the gurney after the fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Where did you find that picture of me on the gurney after the fight?
    You mean when your girlfriend shot you in the face when you were high on PCP?

Wyoming side of the Pass now scheduled for opening either June 1 or 2, seen both posted but it looks definite that it ain't happening this weekend. I also saw a photo of what had been clear roadway just this side of the State Line gate covered by over a foot of snow and being plowed out again, so it looks like Rock Creek will be popular this weekend.

Of course, if one were to buy some sleds, it should be possible to ride from the gate into Wyoming. Just saying

[QUOTE=muted;5352724]You mean when your girlfriend shot you in the face when you were high on PCP?[/

That fight.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Yeah, the last thing I should do is buy some sleds right now unfortunately.

Will be down tomorrow evening camping on main fork somewhere. Any update on how far that road will be open?

I assume this place is alot of hitch hike up > walk/skin to ski > walk out > repeat?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yeah, the last thing I should do is buy some sleds right now unfortunately.

Will be down tomorrow evening camping on main fork somewhere. Any update on how far that road will be open?

I assume this place is alot of hitch hike up > walk/skin to ski > walk out > repeat?

I got tied up with work and didn't go up Main Fork today, I'll try to post up tomorrow afternoon. I did talk to a friend this afternoon who had snagged a spot yesterday because a bunch of her friends had plans to come down, but most of them ended up bailing with the road only open to state line. I'm guessing that they won't be the only ones, and I'd also guess the road barricade may magically disappear tonight even if it's currently still in place. If it does, there will be about the usual amount of drivability up the road—the next drift past the barricade as of Sunday usually hangs on for a while, given that it's in the shade.

Yes, Rock Creek is a lot of hitch up, walk/skin across the top, ski down, rinse and repeat. The only part that gets remotely tricky is finding the right spot on the ridge to drop in, and if you're good at general mountain navigation, just take a good look (and maybe snap a cellphone pic) from the bottom so you can refresh yourself on which line you're going after.

AVS on it for the inside info. Suuuuhweet. Freezing up top still? I bet you're right on Main fork opening up more at the last minute.

WRG - RC should have people willing to point you to the goods. If the gate is closed at the state line, then it's gonna get some action fo sho...The turnout there is the starting point for the hike over.

Yes, thanks AVS for the inside local scoop.

Might just wait until next weekend and ski something closer this weekend due to time, possible wet weather, holiday, etc.

Yes, thanks AVS for the inside local scoop.

Might just wait until next weekend and ski something closer this weekend due to time, possible wet weather, holiday, etc.

Rock Creek is already looking thin in a few spots; the looker's right line is usually the easiest entry and best "intro to Rock Creek" line, but just below the top of that looked rather rocky, and I was told that was the result of a wet slide set off by folks skiing that line. The first few turns this morning were scary soft with substantial sloughing, but despite it staying sunny all day, that diminished later on (I'm guessing the first few folks down each line pushed the isothermal mush off). No reason to bring skins for Rock Creek; the approach is nearly completely melted out, but at least the low-angle stuff heading down from the height of land still has enough snow to slide on.

From what I could see, the Basin and Gardiner looked good, and Reefer definitely has a fuckton of snow up top. If you've got options for good skiing closer, I hate to say it, but I'd think about waiting until next weekend. Probably fewer non-skiers up camping, and a lot more options for skiing. I suspect Reefer will be good skiing all weekend, but there's a lot more when you can get across to Gardiner and such. Will post up some pics later, but I gotta run into work for a little bit and bitchslap and unhappy computer.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Yes, Rock Creek is a lot of hitch up, walk/skin across the top, ski down, rinse and repeat. The only part that gets remotely tricky is finding the right spot on the ridge to drop in, and if you're good at general mountain navigation, just take a good look (and maybe snap a cellphone pic) from the bottom so you can refresh yourself on which line you're going after.
    Exactly. Plus if you're in the right spot, you can see the highway and parking lot down below before deciding to drop in. Such a fun place. Last time I skied it, there was a guy in a longbed F-250 with a giant cooler full of beer, doing shuttles all day. We all ended up at the Snow Creek at sunset. Good times were had by all. LOVE that area.

Thanks for more intel AVS. Another extra long work day = bagging it tonight. Hoping weather holds decent tomorrow night and we can get an alpine start on something from camp early Sunday AM. Sylvan area still holding decent snow?

Pretty badass shot I stumbled upon on another forum. This was taken two days ago!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40349038660_1e52c5a7dd_k.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	237027

Thanks for more intel AVS. Another extra long work day = bagging it tonight. Hoping weather holds decent tomorrow night and we can get an alpine start on something from camp early Sunday AM. Sylvan area still holding decent snow?
    Last I heard, yes, but I haven't talked to anyone who's been down there in about 7-10 days.

A bit of sloughing going on.

Rock Creek overview. You can kinda see where the line to looker's right is looking bony up top.

Looker's left line and the line just to its right saw the most traffic, but there was also traffic on the three in the middle (looker's left, middle-ish line looks to have a sneak-in entry to avoid the cornice; I missed the entry but saw tracks on the next one over). Looker's right line is the least dramatic entry (it rolls over much more gently) but requires either dodging that rock band or traversing into the next line to the left, which has a bit of a narrow choke (saw a skier contemplate said choke for a lengthy time before going through).

Snow seems to be holding up OK despite the warm temps; my first run today went down to around 8000 feet, and it was really only the last couple hundred vertical feet that got ugly (well, that and the bushwhacking after we ran out of snow, but we expected that part). I bailed on the skiing after two runs because of the heat and thinking that things were going to get really sloppy, but watching folks ski while I was hanging out at the parking lot, I don't think that happened—not a lot of snow moving.

Currently 60 degrees in town, hoping it will magically cool off tonight but doubtful. T-storms in the forecast tomorrow afternoon and Sunday with cooler temps after that.

Goodbye to Ramcharger.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1527544252.097252.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	688.4 KB 
ID:	237402

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1527544273.124466.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	711.1 KB 
ID:	237403
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Sniff sniff. Of course it's not really going away, it will just be Shedcharger now.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Goodbye to Ramcharger.
    Huh. Didn't know that was on the docket. I guess that's why they axed so many folks lately. Gotta pay for those fancy new seats SOMEHOW.

^^ being replaced by an 8-person heated bubble lift.

Current Ramcharger lift will be moved over to replace Shedhorn.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Shenanigans anyone?

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	237576

Slight highjack: Anyone know where I could park a 16' enclosed trailer within 20 minutes of Bozeman? You know besides renting a space for $25 bucks a month.

Also, snow up high. Finally some freezing temps again at night?

The Dr. Phil posts always amuse me

lol damn. I'm not even explaining myself at this point.

If it is only for a couple nights you can park it at my place in Big Sky. More than a couple nights and my HOA will blow a gasket.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Phil View Post
    Slight highjack: Anyone know where I could park a 16' enclosed trailer within 20 minutes of Bozeman? You know besides renting a space for $25 bucks a month.
    Sure! In my yard, $50/mo.!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    If it is only for a couple nights you can park it at my place in Big Sky. More than a couple nights and my HOA will blow a gasket.
    Much appreciated Harry! Thanks for the offer. I am dealing with the same thing here. Been doing the park it for 2 days and then move it a block or two, park it for 2 more. It's pretty annoying. Probably just have to bite the bullet and pay to park it somewhere.