Page 221 of 884 FirstFirst ... 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,525 of 22100
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    2 inches of snow this morning in the Mountain Village.
    Could make for some muddy trails for my weekend hiking plans.

Fresh coat of paint.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1528807456.920366.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	673.7 KB 
ID:	238713
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Fresh coat of paint.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1528807456.920366.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	673.7 KB 
ID:	238713
    Gorgeous! Nothing beats Lone Peak at sunrise. Love those cool, crisp summer mornings there.

Has anyone skied the line on the North East of Hyalite Peak or have any info on it? It comes right off of the peak and skirts the cliff band on the North face then ends just east of the hiking trail and above the small lake that sits right around tree-line. I looked at it today from the reservoir and it looks like it has plenty of snow left in it.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    X2 on Ellis for easiest. Used to dawn patrol up there a couple days a week when I used to get after it more. Keep an eye out for kitties, used to see track pretty often but only ran into the little ones (bobcats).

And yeah it was lightly snowing when I left Taylor fork.

Also big sky is spinning explorer for bikes. And m2m is pretty prime.
    Ellis looks pretty cool from the little bit that I've found on it.

Everything I read about hiking or touring in MT seems to warn about large, angry wildlife. Is this just hype or is bear spray a year-around accessory to mountain travel?

Also, is the Bangtail Divide trail as cool as it looks?

The wildlife is only angry if you surprise it, so make a bit of noise as you travel. And yes, bear spray is never a bad idea.

You mean have bluetooth speakers in your pack?

Quote Originally Posted by BeardMech View Post
    You mean have bluetooth speakers in your pack?
    I dunno, that might distract someone else skinning by and cause then to fumble their bear spray, accidentally discharging it in your direction.

Such a shame.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Bangtail Divide is fucking awesome. Either out and back or the full trail. It's a win win no matter what.

Bangtail is good but I think a bit overhyped.

There is better.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Everything I read about hiking or touring in MT seems to warn about large, angry wildlife. Is this just hype or is bear spray a year-around accessory to mountain travel?
    IMO, never go out without bear spray. I used to also put little bells on my dogs collars when out hiking or biking so they'd be making all sorts of racket as they bounded up and down the trails. Never had any grizzly encounters, but seems that every hunter I've talked to has. Likely because they were being all stealthy. I'm sure bikes can easily sneak up on them too. If you're going through Bozeman, you can pick up a can pretty cheap at Bob Ward's. Too many grizzlies around Montana to not just carry a can.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Bangtail is good but I think a bit overhyped.

There is better.
    Agreed. No doubt it's a great ride but it's more xc oriented.

And yeah we gots some big critters but like others have said just gotta make noise. In twenty something years I've only had like a half dozen encounters and all were pretty quick (no bluff charges etc). Like yeahman said the griz like bow hunters since they're doing everthing you're not sposed to do. Also most people don't carry spray in winter(hibernate although they can wake and wander for food) but spring touring for sure.

Ellis is pretty meh, kinda glorified meadow skipping, but it's a good close option.

Agreed. No doubt it's a great ride but it's more xc oriented.

And yeah we gots some big critters but like others have said just gotta make noise. In twenty something years I've only had like a half dozen encounters and all were pretty quick (no bluff charges etc). Like yeahman said the griz like bow hunters since they're doing everthing you're not sposed to do. Also most people don't carry spray in winter(hibernate although they can wake and wander for food) but spring touring for sure.

Ellis is pretty meh, kinda glorified meadow skipping, but it's a good close option.
    Well, I am an XC kinda rider except that I prefer to get a bit away from it all and if a ride involves pushing for a mile to get past an un-ridable section or if there are a bunch of down trees (I draw the line at > 50) I am ok with that.

There are so many off the beaten path rides around here that rarely see traffic that the possibilities are endless (except for the assholes trying to shut them down to bikes). The Centennials are a bit of a drive but the riding west of Island Park is mind boggling.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Valid point. I kinda like sustained big climbs followed by long dh but ride lots of different trails.
    But I'll prob find my way up stone ck. More often now that my friends are building a house pretty much at that TH.

I really need to explore more biking options around centennials.i spend a fair amount of time in upper ruby/gravellys/centennial valley. Ran into a couple guys biking to cliff lake from elk lake when we were camped at one of the inlets over memorial day.

First ride in the Centennials last weekend...awesome country. Bring bear spray.

Name:	IMG_3318.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	239022

Name:	IMG_3306 (002).jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	500.9 KB 
ID:	239023
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

Well, I am an XC kinda rider except that I prefer to get a bit away from it all and if a ride involves pushing for a mile to get past an un-ridable section or if there are a bunch of down trees (I draw the line at > 50) I am ok with that.

There are so many off the beaten path rides around here that rarely see traffic that the possibilities are endless (except for the assholes trying to shut them down to bikes). The Centennials are a bit of a drive but the riding west of Island Park is mind boggling.
    That's a spot-on description of how I generally like to ride. Getting rad is fun and all, but I suck at it. I suck less at long days on the bike through the middle of nowhere.

September can't come quickly enough, I'm pretty psyched to settle into Bozeman.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    If you're going through Bozeman, you can pick up a can pretty cheap at Bob Ward's.
    Thanks for the tip - stoked to save some cash on what I was expecting to be a more pricy purchase.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 36. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

If you have a Costco Membership they have 2x packs for reasonable $$$.

If you have a Costco Membership they have 2x packs for reasonable $$$.
    Yes I just picked up a 2 pack there. $39. Saw one can going for that much at an outdoor store, so Costco seems about half price. It was time to replace my old cans. Pretty sure they are still fine but they are 5+ years old. Maybe I will go shoot one off in the woods with my kids for practice. Straight into the wind of course.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Straight into the wind of course.
    Mandatory training to be a proper Yellowstone tourist? Haha.

Might wanna bring a ziploc to throw the used can into after discharging. I've ummm "heard" they can leak into your pack afterward and still be fairly potent

Yes I just picked up a 2 pack there. $39. Saw one can going for that much at an outdoor store, so Costco seems about half price. It was time to replace my old cans. Pretty sure they are still fine but they are 5+ years old. Maybe I will go shoot one off in the woods with my kids for practice. Straight into the wind of course.
    Bunch of years ago a buddy got into an altercation at a campsite over by Red Lodge. The guy who was "going to kick your M-Fing ass" pulled out a can of Bear Spray and attempted to hose my buddy with it. He too sprayed it into the wind and covered himself and his sidekick.

Amusing antics ensued.

Might wanna bring a ziploc to throw the used can into after discharging. I've ummm "heard" they can leak into your pack afterward and still be fairly potent
    Yeah definitely need to be careful. I've sprayed a couple cans before. Friend had some leak all over his leg once and spent the night in serious agony...
    Bunch of years ago a buddy got into an altercation at a campsite over by Red Lodge. The guy who was "going to kick your M-Fing ass" pulled out a can of Bear Spray and attempted to hose my buddy with it. He too sprayed it into the wind and covered himself and his sidekick.

Amusing antics ensued.
    Buddy once sprayed his at a brown bear on an Alaskan beach at close range and the wind blew it right back in his face, basically incapacitating him. Bear just shrugged and walked away. Silly humans.

Buddy once sprayed his at a brown bear on an Alaskan beach at close range and the wind blew it right back in his face, basically incapacitating him. Bear just shrugged and walked away. Silly humans.
    I'll take that over having the bear not shrug and walk away.

By the way, it's still ski season in the Beartooths, although the new snow from the last week is a bit saturated and not exactly bonded to the older snow.

(Large slough in the foreground was skier-triggered, the rest of the slidey snow moved without human interaction)