Page 330 of 890 FirstFirst ... 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 ... LastLast
Results 8,226 to 8,250 of 22245
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Has our been posted here yet that you will have Bode Miller sharing your mountain in the coming winters?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    I got a freaking email about it today. "Welcoming him to the community"....I mean, ok. Cool. I guess you really made it when random people get emails about you coming to town.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Has our been posted here yet that you will have Bode Miller sharing your mountain in the coming winters?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Maybe he can teach me to carve and I can teach him to skid.

See ya in the tram line, Bode.

OK the cats out of the bag now. I was contacted about 2-3 weeks ago and asked if I as well as several other Big Sky locals would do an interview with Todd Jones and TGR about a big time athlete joining our community. I agreed but also pointed out that I had moved out of the Really Big in 2006 and now call 4 Corners home. I never heard back so they must have gone elsewhere.

From what I have heard there is a move afoot to turn Lone Moose area into some sort of an alpine racing/training center. I was hoping the athlete was going to be Shiffren.

So it goes.

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

At least Jamie Pierre partnered with BYEP.

It remains to be seen if I can hang for ten years before I’ve gotta gtfo out of town.

Well, vibes to Bode and his wife after what they went through. No parent even wants to contemplate something like that. If moving to Montana acts as some sort of therapy (which is what it sounds like in that video), it's all good. He sure isn't the first to come here seeking peace of mind.

And maybe he can get Julia Mancuso to visit, she seems like a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    From what I have heard there is a move afoot to turn Lone Moose area into some sort of an alpine racing/training center.
    This "movement" is a few sprinkles on the old Blixeth and Dolan PUD for some of the land around Lone Moose and Thunder Wolf lifts. One of the proposed hotels is supposed to have space for an Alpine Training Center according to documents shared with Madison county. It will be interesting to see if the economy tanks before the water issues get resolved.

PSA for Gallatin River fisherfolk: spruce moths spotted! At dusk last night I saw clouds of spruce moths around the tops of some spruce trees along the middle fork.

^^^ Good stuff to know, I am headed to a nice creek north of Bozeman tomorrow for some much needed Hopper Therapy.

It remains to be seen if I can hang for ten years before I’ve gotta gtfo out of town.
    I turn 62 near the end of September, my exit is at right around 67.5 (Full retirement age) although I am still trying to figure out where.

I "think" I can handle another 5 years.

I was over in Anaconda last week playing Old Works and we went to dinner in town. Nice friendly people and a very cool vibe. Disco is close.

Just overheard that beacon checker is being installed @ headwaters. They said it might start as optional but likely will be required.

^^^ Good stuff to know, I am headed to a nice creek north of Bozeman tomorrow for some much needed Hopper Therapy.

I turn 62 near the end of September, my exit is at right around 67.5 (Full retirement age) although I am still trying to figure out where.

I "think" I can handle another 5 years.

I was over in Anaconda last week playing Old Works and we went to dinner in town. Nice friendly people and a very cool vibe. Disco is close.
    My daughters friend has some acreage in P'burg and I'm sure I'd like it over there but the lack of bouldering/climbing and the long, cold winters will probably be the deciding factor for my partner and I. Bozeman is a great place to live and I'm glad my kid gets to grow up here versus growing up in suburban DC but I don't think these are the people I want to spend the rest of my life around. I already bailed from Boulder to come up here so I've got a good idea of what's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by East2West View Post
    Just overheard that beacon checker is being installed @ headwaters. They said it might start as optional but likely will be required.
    IMHO they need to get out front, require it and advertise the shit out of that policy to avoid a screaming guest at the ticket windows. 2019/20 trail maps are probably already approved and at the printer.

CJ I hear ya, Eastern Oregon also looks enticing.

IMHO they need to get out front, require it and advertise the shit out of that policy to avoid a screaming guest at the ticket windows. 2019/20 trail maps are probably already approved and at the printer.
    Agreed. Otherwise people end their vacation with a public freak out viral video like that guy at BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yeah, I hope it goes full mandatory gear at HW.
    Why? To limit crowding?

Yeah, I hope it goes full mandatory gear at HW.
    The full mandatory gear is a pipe dream, a beacon checker is the absolute minimum that Boyne will do and call it good. There will be no one there to yell at guests who don't have a beacon let alone anyone to make sure all the "mandatory gear" is carried. The Patrol does not have the time for that. At least at the Summit you must check in so it makes for a captive audience.

And all the "mandatory gear" is is a barrier, it has zero to do with avalanche safety. If the terrain is considered to have have the hazard reduced to the point that the terrain is "safe" to open it will be open. If not it will remain closed whether you have a beacon, shovel & probe and an ABS and a parachute and a Phaser or not.

Why? To limit crowding?
    On the nose.....

In keeping with the fishing reports, caught a couple dozen dinks on Ten Mile Creek a few days ago, and some slightly bigger boys on the Little Blackfoot this morning. Love the small water and solitude.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190814_103512.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	291187

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190814_113456.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	291188

PSA Update for Canyon travelers. Friends reported a 30 minute delay at the guard rail replacement today heading towards Bozeman at ~10:00 AM today. Southbound traffic was backed up ~5 miles.

Plan accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Love the small water and solitude.
    Well done! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    PSA Update for Canyon travelers. Friends reported a 30 minute delay at the guard rail replacement today heading towards Bozeman at ~10:00 AM today. Southbound traffic was backed up ~5 miles.

Plan accordingly.
    Wow. Damn. Good to know. Guess I am getting up extra early tomorrow.

That canyon construction was the final nail in the coffin for my buddy to leave his job up in the dump. I think I have at least 3 friends who have(or are) leaving Bozeman. All been here 20+ years. I love the valley but it's just not sustainable(for me at least). At least I have some friends building up stone ck so I'll have a guest bedroom for bridger when I get sick of disco.

Ditto on the cricks, heading out in a bit and prob fish that toxic one on my way to gtown.

^^Friend of mine and his girlfriend/partner just left the valley after 15 years. He was designing passive solar homes (has a Master's in Architecture from MSU) but he just couldn't find enough work. He designed some awesome homes in the Paradise Valley, near Livingston and Townsend, but he could never break into the Bozeman market. He always did great work and the contractors who built his homes had no issues whatsoever, he went above and beyond the call of duty, yet they never fed him any design work because (he says) they needed to stay tight with the big design firms in town. Plus there's a limited market for passive solar to begin with, all the rich people seem to want a Yellowstone Club style home or whatever. Anyway the failure of his business and having to leave Bozeman has been a hugely depressing time in his life. Sucks.

Anyway...just another tale from the streets of America, right?

That sucks but isn't too surprising. Lack of work wasnt the problem for me(I'm just a lowly carpenter), it's the cost of living etc. Anyways enough bitching, I fucking love Montana. On to smaller pastures, after I get off this 31,000sq ft house( "in" bozeman).

Wow. Damn. Good to know. Guess I am getting up extra early tomorrow.
    I'm told by an early bird there was no signs of guard rail construction this morning. Could the DOT be switching to night work?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    ^^Friend of mine and his girlfriend/partner just left the valley after 15 years. He was designing passive solar homes (has a Master's in Architecture from MSU) but he just couldn't find enough work. He designed some awesome homes in the Paradise Valley, near Livingston and Townsend, but he could never break into the Bozeman market. He always did great work and the contractors who built his homes had no issues whatsoever, he went above and beyond the call of duty, yet they never fed him any design work because (he says) they needed to stay tight with the big design firms in town. Plus there's a limited market for passive solar to begin with, all the rich people seem to want a Yellowstone Club style home or whatever. Anyway the failure of his business and having to leave Bozeman has been a hugely depressing time in his life. Sucks.
    Sucks, but it's all about duping the locati montana rustic. More barnwood and corten!