Page 489 of 890 FirstFirst ... 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 ... LastLast
Results 12,201 to 12,225 of 22245
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryFunk View Post
    Pics are gone but that general area can and does slide, occasionally bigly. I have skied back down the skintrack up the finger ridge more than once...
    That's okay, I saved them, ha. If anyone wants them down I can pull them, but it's not like some super secret spot, this is good discussion, and it's good to get the perspective of people that have actually skied there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stonewall image.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	371.1 KB 
ID:	345145 Name:  stonewall topo.png
Views: 1211
Size:  506.6 KB

A couple years ago t he entire
    Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton

... north path in the red zone slid and the debris slid past the flat at the bottom onto the slope down to the creek ...

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Agreed, Curtis is awesome. Good at what he does and a passionate skier.
    Yeah he is passionate--according to his posts he's on like 48 or 56 months in a row of skiing or something like that. He was wearing bear spray in that clip linked above, but the other day he posted a video skiing with a .45 holstered on his waist. I think it was partly for the humor, but no doubt there are a lot of griz up in that area and they are still awake.

The skintrack i was talking about is the one shown in the GPS track ...

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Yeah he is passionate--according to his posts he's on like 48 or 56 months in a row of skiing or something like that. He was wearing bear spray in that clip linked above, but the other day he posted a video skiing with a .45 holstered on his waist. I think it was partly for the humor, but no doubt there are a lot of griz up in that area and they are still awake.
    You can just watch him get excited and enthusiastic about big snow, I guess his number of months explains why! I have a 10mm with a chest harness that I have skied with when in bear country. Prefer spray, but I like the gun as a backup option if 25mph winds are hitting me in the face. (And hey everyone, let's please not get into whether the caliber choice is effective or not against griz!)

Quote Originally Posted by CountryFunk View Post
    The skintrack i was talking about is the one shown in the GPS track ...
    Good info, thank you, East2West, and cloud cult for the info. Don't know why, just haven't ever skied that. Had a trip planned a few years back when I hadn't lived here long but had a work trip come up and had to bail.

And toastybroski, this ain't Wolf Creek Pass, CO (for now.....), welcome to MT.

You can just watch him get excited and enthusiastic about big snow, I guess his number of months explains why! I have a 10mm with a chest harness that I have skied with when in bear country. Prefer spray, but I like the gun as a backup option if 25mph winds are hitting me in the face.

Good info, thank you, East2West, and cloud cult for the info. Don't know why, just haven't ever skied that. Had a trip planned a few years back when I hadn't lived here long but had a work trip come up and had to bail.
    A 4 inch 629 was on my list of buys when I moved here but I reluctantly got a garmin inreach instead. I have a lot of guns but nothing good for bears. I need to trade my 357 rossi 92 for a 44mag one.

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    A 4 inch 629 was on my list of buys when I moved here but I reluctantly got a garmin inreach instead. I have a lot of guns but nothing good for bears. I need to trade my 357 rossi 92 for a 44mag one.

Anyone have any non-crosscountry gpx tracks from stemple while I am feeling lucky?
    I've got the Garmin Inreach mini. If I absolutely HAD to choose over having one or the other, I would keep the inreach, love having that thing as a security backup.

I've toured south of Stemple several miles on the FS road but never north of the main road, so not much help. I was only charging for distance planning a multi day ski tour so wanted to scout the CDT/road (I bailed on the actual tour partway due to extreme round of rain, sticky snow, exhaustion, was knocking snow off my bindings/skis/boots every 50 yards or so by smacking against trees, lol). Still would like to do that tour (Mac Pass to Stemple someday).

Encountered fresh wolverine tracks a few years ago which was really cool. There is a fire tower (Granite Butte) that can be rented there, even in the winter I believe.

I've got the Garmin Inreach mini. If I absolutely HAD to choose over having one or the other, I would keep the inreach, love having that thing as a security backup.

I've toured south of Stemple several miles on the FS road but never north of the main road, so not much help. I was only charging for distance planning a multi day ski tour so wanted to scout the CDT/road (which I bailed on partway due to extreme round of rain, sticky snow, exhaustion, was knocking snow off my bindings/skis/boots every 50 yards or so by smacking against trees, lol). Still would like to do that tour (Mac Pass to Stemple someday).

Encountered fresh wolverine tracks a few years ago which was really cool. There is a fire tower (Granite Butte) that can be rented there, even in the winter I believe.
    Yeah, my wife used it the first time I've had it so I think it was a good investment. Last place that I have found that I will bring up through my google earth sleuthing was directly south of the summit of rogers pass along that ridge line? Is that too far east to get decent snow?

Name:	IMG_0275.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	345167

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Probably why he came back here. After his first stint in Helena he moved on to a larger market on the East Coast in ~2009 or ‘10. I was surprised to see him return. He was a regular at the Rialto back then, but that’s probably not what brought him back.

If anyone has a line on a long term rental in Big Sky/Canyon please let me know. Friend/client of mine is opening a small business in the meadow. Opening Dec. 1st. Wife works in 4-corners, so meadow all the way down to Gateway would be good. Thanks.

The Lerch place at Karst was open. Don't know about now.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    The Lerch place at Karst was open. Don't know about now.
    Asked him about it this AM. It's rented already.

These should be fun innawoods skis. I even picked up the hipster pole. If only 3/4 of the snow hasn't melted in the backyard...

Name:	PXL_20201028_215351957.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	345358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201028_213506821.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	345359

Last call on BB season passes.

Late to the weekend pow frenzy but had fun cleaning up some corn this afternoon, it was not cold.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201028_125550.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	345416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201028_135407.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	345417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201028_140948.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	345418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201028_183303.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	345419

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    And more winter operation info shared. I wish they would do a small bucket of days that could be reserved at the start. Sounds like reservations can be made 3 days out at the earliest. 80/20 split for season pass holders/ day tickets.

I hope their computers can handle it.

I hope their locals can handle it.
    FIFY
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I hope their locals can handle it.
    FIFY
    Not a chance.

Well fuck. There is actually a non-zero chance I might wind up in Bozeman this winter, but without a solid answer yet it looks like I might miss out.

This might be the first ski season in my life where I don’t own a pass. I feel filthy.

If you’re unsure you can still buy your pass. They are offering refunds until 11/20 (minus a $20 processing fee)
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 10-29-2020 at 08:07 AM.

FIFY
    I can only speak for myself but I'm actually pretty happy with the current plan. The 80/20 ratio will be pretty nice, especially on the super deep days when the powder snobs normally show up. I also think it will be pretty easy to get reservations the night before except for certain weekends, holidays, and forecasted storms. Is MSU doing remote schooling? That might increase the crowds if you don't have to show up to class.