Page 434 of 884 FirstFirst ... 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 ... LastLast
Results 10,826 to 10,850 of 22085
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodgge View Post
    I'd call smaller around here anything not owned by some big outside company....so I guess everything other than Big Sky? No doubt they make a lot of money on day tickets, but guarantee they also have less room to loose money and bounce back from it. A mid-season stay at home order that shuts everything down could be catastrophic. Plus, with all the unemployment, are people going to be dropping cash on day tickets to go skiing? I guess we will wait and see....
    No doubt, it's all guesswork at this point. I'd say yes, people will be desperate enough for outdoor entertainment that they'll drop $50 on a day ticket at the local hill if they can. As far as a mid-season stay-at-home order, again, just my opinion, that's not going to happen. From this point forward, I believe we will deal with the virus as it comes, deal with the risk, tamp down the outbreaks, do the distancing, etc. etc....but there isn't going to be any more shutting down of the economy IMO. We did that, we flattened the curve, learned a lot, and now we move forward and deal with it. Those not willing to take the risk will stay home. There will be plenty who are willing to take the risk IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    No doubt, it's all guesswork at this point. I'd say yes, people will be desperate enough for outdoor entertainment that they'll drop $50 on a day ticket at the local hill if they can. As far as a mid-season stay-at-home order, again, just my opinion, that's not going to happen. From this point forward, I believe we will deal with the virus as it comes, deal with the risk, tamp down the outbreaks, do the distancing, etc. etc....but there isn't going to be any more shutting down of the economy IMO. We did that, we flattened the curve, learned a lot, and now we move forward and deal with it. Those not willing to take the risk will stay home. There will be plenty who are willing to take the risk IMO.
    But won't it require local lockdowns to "tamp down the outbreaks?" We may not have nation wide shutdowns, but I'd be shocked if we don't have localized shelter in place and 14 day quarantine orders for visitors in areas with flare ups. Destination resorts do seem to be more at risk for this. Check out what happened to Sun Valley this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    But won't it require local lockdowns to "tamp down the outbreaks?" We may not have nation wide shutdowns, but I'd be shocked if we don't have localized shelter in place and 14 day quarantine orders for visitors in areas with flare ups. Destination resorts do seem to be more at risk for this. Check out what happened to Sun Valley this spring.
    Truth. The biggest thing I've learned from this whole thing is how stupid and selfish we are as a society. No way people can be counted on to handle this on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgge View Post
    The biggest thing I've learned from this whole thing is how stupid and selfish we are as a society.
    This has truth is unfortunately becoming more so in our country.

It's a failure of leadership. Humans are social animals, and it's been baked into our DNA to do what's best for our tribes to ensure survival. But when leaders fail to sustain this natural trait, or willfully act to suppress and defeat it, that's when we get where we are right now.

On other news - the first YNP casualty of the season. Looks like someone had a combo to get into the gate, probably an ex employee or sub, and they got a real expensive helicopter ride to go with the third degree burns.

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/ne...2a0558b1c.html

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Based on the science as we understand it now, I believe you are correct.

Based on the political situation and the number of people who can't manage to follow guidelines provided by scientific experts, I'm not putting my money on any particular scenario.

I'd also say that without actual enforcement--the kind involving people with guns--localized isolation / lockdown / quarantine efforts are of questionable value. The brewpub where I now live opened in violation of state rules, complete with an announcement of that intent the night before on Tucker Carlson. That move drew traffic from throughout not just one state, but also nearby states with significantly higher infection rates, and there was definitely neither enforcement of nor following of the 14-entry/reentry quarantine rule.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

I'd also say that without actual enforcement--the kind involving people with guns--localized isolation / lockdown / quarantine efforts are of questionable value.
    Ain't gonna happen. Amerika is re-opening for business, fuck the consequences. Whether consumers will consume is another story entirely.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Good deals on there, I am currently ski rich.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

6 pairs of skis+24 bolts+10 screws+2 'biners+2 eye bolts+50 ft of rope+6 PBRs+(5 trips to the hardware store/2 days)= one sick ass swinging ski bench!

All Line skis, cup holders, and adjustable lay back.

My backs been acting strange all week, so figured I'd get some of the old skis outta the garage and onto the front porch.
    Looks like beartooth basin is gonna try and open. And the highway at least to state line from red lodge. Called the cooke city exxon, and it sounds like they're open and ppl been driving up over Dead Indian.

Sure would be amazing if we got some real normal beartooth highway skiing next weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Fall Line Will Set You Free

Damn Bozone hipsters......

Probably a lot of turns made in those sticks.

that is fantastic work.

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Nice work, USDATele!

Also... Saw rumblings of some May pow dumpage at Disco today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAOx1gvj...d=2l369vy1ey2y

If anyone wants to make turns this week, holler at me.

Quote Originally Posted by usdatele View Post
    6 pairs of skis+24 bolts+10 screws+2 'biners+2 eye bolts+50 ft of rope+6 PBRs+(5 trips to the hardware store/2 days)= one sick ass swinging ski bench!

All Line skis, cup holders, and adjustable lay back.

My backs been acting strange all week, so figured I'd get some of the old skis outta the garage and onto the front porch.
    Looks like beartooth basin is gonna try and open. And the highway at least to state line from red lodge. Called the cooke city exxon, and it sounds like they're open and ppl been driving up over Dead Indian.

Sure would be amazing if we got some real normal beartooth highway skiing next weekend.

I could donate some Supernatties to the cause if you want a coffee table.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Nice work, USDATele!

Also... Saw rumblings of some May pow dumpage at Disco today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAOx1gvj...d=2l369vy1ey2y

If anyone wants to make turns this week, holler at me.
    Yep. It came in hot and heavy. Bike park was supposed to open yesterday. We had anywhere from 6-12in down in pburg...I also got sunburnt fishing the mo thurs. Ah springtime in Montana.

[QUOTE=Gnar_Shralp406;5985271]I could donate some Supernatties to the cause if you want a coffee table.

Think I can just repurpose them for some skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Lodges are the biggest issue, IMO, at least from a theoretical standpoint. On a nice day, lower capacity, encouraging outside breaks, etc., would go a long way, but when it's a high of -10 F and the wind is blowing, eating outside doesn't seem like such a great option, and you probably don't want to trade decreased viral risk for increased frostbite.

The other kicker is the "if they put in the effort"—I have no doubt that management is taking this very, very seriously. But convincing a minimum-wage-collecting 18-year-old to do the same is another ball of wax, and I'm glad I'm not in charge of that effort, especially in an industry where accepting risk is part of the culture.
    Heated tents of some sort could be a solution for the weekends? Even wind/snow proof tents could improve the dining experience a decent amount during crowded storm days.

Quote Originally Posted by wordbird View Post
    Heated tents of some sort could be a solution for the weekends? Even wind/snow proof tents could improve the dining experience a decent amount during crowded storm days.
    I'd expect that to be part of the solution, but there's still a fair bit of effort necessary to put those commercial-sized all-weather tents up, especially if you're going to provide access to sanitation facilities. In some cases, simply finding enough level space in the vicinity of the normal base lodges could be a fair bit of challenge.

Not to mention that those all weather tents are expensive as hell and would pretty well eat up whatever margin would be found from using them in the 1st place.

I predict a limit on occupancy of existing infrastructure that will be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Not to mention that those all weather tents are expensive as hell and would pretty well eat up whatever margin would be found from using them in the 1st place.

I predict a limit on occupancy of existing infrastructure that will be ignored.
    As usual, you're probably right. I'm wondering about employee locker rooms; I've never seen any that were really big enough to begin with, let alone to allow any sort of social distancing (there may be a few of the former out there, but I'd be shocked if they allowed for even three feet of separation). Given that employers (generally) have a stronger duty to make sure their employees follow safety guidelines than their customers, I'm wondering how that will shake out.

^i honestly hope these are the things we are thinking about next season

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    As usual, you're probably right. I'm wondering about employee locker rooms; I've never seen any that were really big enough to begin with, let alone to allow any sort of social distancing (there may be a few of the former out there, but I'd be shocked if they allowed for even three feet of separation). Given that employers (generally) have a stronger duty to make sure their employees follow safety guidelines than their customers, I'm wondering how that will shake out.
    That will be a difficult hurdle to overcome. I suppose you could bring employees in on staggered schedules have them gear up an gtfo. OTOH the required cleaning to disinfect a locker room? Damn near insurmountable.

Don't a lot of employees live together in employee housing? Seems like that would be the bigger risk.

2 to a room in what is basically a Motel-6 type of room.

Things are highly speculative at best currently as far as the logistics of this shit coming late fall.
    I think theres gonna be a strapped rocky mtn security guard checking every employee coming into work for symptoms of wuflu or regular flu, they will be shot on site, and disposal of the body isn't a part of rocky mountain securitys contract. Where will boyne put the bodies? Maybe push em up w the groomer and bring back the sick halfpipe they used to half?
    The skiing is still good, the biking is getting better everyday, and someone should go schwack around and find some morels.
    There is a trophy bass staked high up in a tree at the top of leverich, solid move, who ever mounted it!