Page 213 of 892 FirstFirst ... 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,325 of 22285
    This was probably put on by a maggot...

Just back from down there.

Odd day. It was cold, 15 degrees or there abouts and the new snow was pretty light. You could feel the hard layers underneath in a lot of spots.

Big line up for the 3x2x and I was in about the 4-5th tram. Went to sign out and the guy running the Penalty Box said, just sign up and go where you like. I don't think he meant the Little but you probably could have and not gone straight to hell. Talking to patrollers they said the entry into the Little is pretty well destroyed.

Skied the N. Summit to Snowfield/direct and goated through the rocks to the very top of direct. It was ok but there was very little new snow, I think it sluffed or blew away. the last 3-400 feet was pretty good.

Tram line was huge, it was windy as fuck up on Headwaters ridge and the Headwaters chair is done, probably for the season (Mechanical issues).

It was worth the drive down, but barely. Could be the last true powder day for the season, or not.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

My buddy's kid used to bring fart putty on the tram all the time. I have to admit it was kinda funny.

Thanks for the update bunion. Just too much to do at work tomorrow anyway. Would really be screwing the other guys if I bailed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    stupid tapatalk app

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Your map is wrong. None of the Headwaters are USFS, all of that is owned by the resort (Crossharbor Capital actually). Bunion can correct me, but I believe is was USFS back in the 70's, then Plum Creek in the 80's after the land swap that created the Lee Metcalf Wilderness, then Moonlight Basin in the 90's after Plum Creek logged it.

Plus there is no such thing as Bozeman County. Where did you get that map ?
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Ranger district boundary?

^^ ok, that makes sense.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

There is a pizza slice wedge off the peak that is USFS land. Lone Lake Cirque. Is that what you are looking at ?

Edit: somewhere deep in this thread Bunion posted a bunch of pics of skiing that zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Your map is wrong. None of the Headwaters are USFS, all of that is owned by the resort (Crossharbor Capital actually). Bunion can correct me, but I believe is was USFS back in the 70's, then Plum Creek in the 80's after the land swap that created the Lee Metcalf Wilderness, then Moonlight Basin in the 90's after Plum Creek logged it.

Plus there is no such thing as Bozeman County. Where did you get that map ?
    I don't see the post you guys are talking about.

As I understood it.

Back when Big Sky (the ski area) was being considered and developed a large part of the bowl and summit were USFS land.

The land swap that created the Lee Metcalf was completed and Plum Creek and Big Sky became owners of all of Lone Peak to as far west as what is now the Forest Service wall (wall that forms the west boundary of the N. Summit cirque and is part of the Beaverhead NF).

When Plum Creek sold off the Jack Creek Parcel to Moonlight, Moonlight then owned a big chunk of the mountain including most (not all) of Headwaters and all the way up to the summit including the entrance to the Big Cooler and the land where the Penalty Box now sits.

When Tim B. started the Y/C, he "bought" all the land that is now the Y/C from Plum Creek including a strip that went to the very Summit. At one time there was a boundary point with Boyne, MLB, Y/C and USFS land up near the Penalty Box.

It was a very fucked up boundary.

Lone Lake Cirque is about 1/2 LM Wilderness and 1/2 Beaverhead NF.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lone lake.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	232659 Photo R. Turner
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Sharing a couple of videos of Bozeman local Robert Enigl who is ripping it up in MT on a sit ski.

https://www.facebook.com/robert.enig...0162342700530/

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    If anyone has any beta/photos on the cirque I would love to see it. I know it's kinda hush hush on the intertubes.

What do you want to know? It is basically Lone Mountains version of Saddle Peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    What do you want to know? It is basically Lone Mountains version of Saddle Peak.
    Except that you can't really see the cirque from Big Sky ski area, and that I don't really see hordes of people hiking/skiing it.

Also, does Big Sky have its own version of Bradley's meadows?

Quote Originally Posted by 08-15 View Post
    Except that you can't really see the cirque from Big Sky ski area, and that I don't really see hordes of people hiking/skiing it.

Also, does Big Sky have its own version of Bradley's meadows?

Just cause you can't see them doesn't mean they aren't there.

Beehive Basin????

Nice day today. I was scheduled to work today but my super cool boss told me to go skiing instead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1524074813.707769.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	633.0 KB 
ID:	232688

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Tram line was huge, it was windy as fuck up on Headwaters ridge and the Headwaters chair is done, probably for the season (Mechanical issues).
    Not mechanical, just scheduled closing. We have a list of closing dates for everything based on staffing and whatnot and headwaters was scheduled for the 15th. Lift ops doesn't have enough people to run everything and they set closing dates a while ago when they were anticipating a low tide snow year like the last few. Hence lone moose etc being done as well. Plus we we're supposed to close the 15th but the PSIA conference pushed the date back to the 22nd. Which makes it that much more ironic that a bunch of locals were booing and chanting nasty shit at those guys when they got an early tram ride yesterday, and they're the whole reason we're still skiing lift accessible terrain. Tram rats are assholes.

What's the best bet for finding a cheap ticket for pond skim?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted26 View Post
    What's the best bet for finding a cheap ticket for pond skim?
    Hover around the parking lot and see if people are slinging vouchers. Lots of employees still have some half offs or even full vouchers left and there always seems to be a gaggle of them trying to unload them for cheap in the parking lots

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftybish View Post
    Not mechanical, just scheduled closing. We have a list of closing dates for everything based on staffing and whatnot and headwaters was scheduled for the 15th. Lift ops doesn't have enough people to run everything and they set closing dates a while ago when they were anticipating a low tide snow year like the last few. Hence lone moose etc being done as well. Plus we we're supposed to close the 15th but the PSIA conference pushed the date back to the 22nd. Which makes it that much more ironic that a bunch of locals were booing and chanting nasty shit at those guys when they got an early tram ride yesterday, and they're the whole reason we're still skiing lift accessible terrain. Tram rats are assholes.
    I won't argue that tram rats can be assholes, that is a proven fact. I caught up with that PSIA posse at the top of Horseshoe bowl and they were freakin stoked and as far as I could tell, pretty nice people.

I was told that 3600 of those 199.00 passes sold.

I would say that part of the reason was based on a 4/22 closing date. That's around $700K so Boyne can afford to suck it up for another week. On days like we have had where the liftlines are huge it makes sense to offer more ways up the hill, but I am preachin to the choir.

Not sure I will be down again, maybe tomorrow or Friday but I tend to avoid pond scum like the plague. Anyway, thanks for all your and BSLMs hard work and keeping those antiquated swingsets going uphill.

Have a great summer.
    Last edited by Not bunion; 04-18-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Looks like they are starting to build the pond tonight, time to dust off the mankini :-)

Fun day, morning magic carpet and afternoon a couple a-z, a tram lap and challenger. Amazed how nice the snow was on marx.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    If anyone has any beta/photos on the cirque I would love to see it. I know it's kinda hush hush on the intertubes.

Double down and hit a lap on Fan. Don't worry there's a sweet cabin to bivy in.

Quote Originally Posted by -Devin- View Post
    Sharing a couple of videos of Bozeman local Robert Enigl who is ripping it up in MT on a sit ski.

https://www.facebook.com/robert.enig...0162342700530/

Saw a guy tearing it up on a sit ski yesterday at the Big, wearing a yellow jacket. Bet it was Robert.

Hey guys, +++vibes+++ on the loss of tone. Really tough way to end a season. Sounds like a good dude who lived life to the fullest. Never easy to see a fellow mag go down in the mountains.

Wanted to check and see if there was anybody that would be interested in getting out in the backcountry on Monday the 23rd. Forecast looks snowy, so maybe pow laps somewhere? Has Gallatin Avalanche Center stopped posting updates?

Also, mag thefortrees from VA and I will be linking up on Sat/Sun in the resort, would love to link up with other local or visiting mags. Let's close the season out in style.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))