Page 19 of 891 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Anybody know the story behind those tracks today down Lone Peak face, lookers left of the tram cable?

Have family visiting Big Sky from the east coast. They signed up to take a lesson today at Big Sky. Instructor decided to take them over to the good snow at Moonlight.....had to call for a shuttle from the bottom of the Pony Express....opppps ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by DictatorShooter View Post
    Anybody know the story behind those tracks today down Lone Peak face, lookers left of the tram cable?
    I don't know, but I have a picture... (See that the tracks continue on the lower right, where they hit the run-out/lower part of Big Couloir.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SkiTracks.JPG 
Views:	391 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	114137

whoa... now i'm really curious about those tracks.

i loved that the couloir closed today because of mountain goats kicking down rocks. guess that's what we get for poaching their mountain.

Northeast Face Direct, nice, that doesn't get done often even in big years. Looks pretty clean, but who knows. Really cool to see those tracks, I wonder if it was patrol, or a poach, or if they actually let somebody ski it. Thanks for the excellent shot.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Northeast Face Direct, nice, that doesn't get done often even in big years. Looks pretty clean, but who knows. Really cool to see those tracks, I wonder if it was patrol, or a poach, or if they actually let somebody ski it. Thanks for the excellent shot.
    As far as I know, even the red coats w/ crosses have to pseudo poach that one. I have a couple of ideas of people who could have done it. Shutzy would have made bigger turns, we can rule him out

Quote Originally Posted by Al Mondbrot View Post
    I don't know, but I have a picture... (See that the tracks continue on the lower right, where they hit the run-out/lower part of Big Couloir.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SkiTracks.JPG 
Views:	391 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	114137
    WOW! BALLSY!!!

I would say patrol. I know they got permission last year for the face directly under the tram and there was enough snow for a traverse into dobies.

MLB slide show from this season

Thanks Jack for putting it together.

http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a553d0d0a&sb=1
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Word is that it was a poach...but of course no one "knows who did it." Same thing happened last year on a slightly different line - more directly under the tram cable.

This deserves a spot right here. Pond skim time baby :

It was bluebird at 8am this morning but it's since clouded over up on Lone Peak and things are pretty hard. Stay low and soft IMO. Maybe andesite trees.

Also to the 9 year old who just rocked the Big...well done.

And expect to wait in an insane liftline for Swifty.
    Last edited by OverTurn; 04-14-2012 at 12:06 PM.

POND SKIM

SO much fun on the mtn today. I pulled my first pond skim in full gaper attire. Launched the jump, spread eagle, and wiped out. Oh well. Didn't want to just go straight.

Time to go party

Hell yeah, great post.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Yup. Those were sweet. I got some too. I'll post 'em up here in the next day or two.

Anyone at Whiskey Jacks last night? Fun times

kwality last wknd debauchery right there... sunshine, booze, T&A-niiiice...

Right around 3pm it started absolutely puking at Big Sky. Go figure.

Anyone want to go for a tour up at bridger tomorrow or possibly beehive on tuesday? Bridger has gotten 5 inches so far this afternoon should be pretty good. PM me

quoted from the Bridger thread just FYI

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    The dog and I skied Hidden this afternoon. It's now slid out. Still lots of pockets left to release though. The Apron is still holding nice snow next to the debris. Still really fucking spicy up there, be careful. Stay under 30 and it should stay put, super soft slabby right now. This shit needs to come out of the faucet so we can just be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by OverTurn View Post
    Right around 3pm it started absolutely puking at Big Sky. Go figure.
    Great way to end it, made my day for sure. See you guys on the river!

Quote Originally Posted by OverTurn View Post
    quoted from the Bridger thread just FYI
    True but that was from friday before the warmth on saturday and freezing down to 16 this morning. Its probably sketchy still but theres a chance it has strengthened considerably. Either way digging a pit and looking for the water channels in the snow pack and checking for melting in the faceted layers seems like a good idea.

The moral of this thread so far? Great way to end the season. And since the backcountry still seems uber sketch ball, bring on the biking!

Who's got pics of the awesomeness that was the pond skim? or know where to get em

Quote Originally Posted by ace.. View Post
    Who's got pics of the awesomeness that was the pond skim? or know where to get em

Go about 10 posts back in this thread and you will find what you need. PM the photog, I think he took pics of everybody. Coconut Girl was awesome !
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters