Page 156 of 884 FirstFirst ... 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 ... LastLast
Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 22099
    Visibility was tough a couple of days, and we had to dig snow caves for shelter up on the plateau due to wind (our highest camp was around 10,800'), but overall snow conditions were fantastic. Perfect snow for cruising all day, and we finished a couple miles below the Lake Fork trailhead five days after leaving Cooke City. There is a very healthy snowpack up high right now, which should make for great touring conditions later in the spring!

I'll probably get some photos up once I rest a bit, but I just found a ride tomorrow morning, so I'm in the process of un/re-packing for multi-day trips.

So conditions are not so good for Big Sky now eh? I was thinking of coming down from BC and getting an april pass, maybe doing some touring around bridger too. Did it rain to the peak, is there alot of debris everywhere? Also looking for some cool people to tour with, doing a big USA roadtrip!

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post
    Visibility was tough a couple of days, and we had to dig snow caves for shelter up on the plateau due to wind (our highest camp was around 10,800'), but overall snow conditions were fantastic. Perfect snow for cruising all day, and we finished a couple miles below the Lake Fork trailhead five days after leaving Cooke City. There is a very healthy snowpack up high right now, which should make for great touring conditions later in the spring!

I'll probably get some photos up once I rest a bit, but I just found a ride tomorrow morning, so I'm in the process of un/re-packing for multi-day trips.
    That's awesome. Nice work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiwurrel View Post
    So conditions are not so good for Big Sky now eh? I was thinking of coming down from BC and getting an april pass, maybe doing some touring around bridger too. Did it rain to the peak, is there alot of debris everywhere? Also looking for some cool people to tour with, doing a big USA roadtrip!
    Spring conditions today. Good skiing on the peak, but who knows what the future holds. Forecast looks warm. But the bottom half of the mountain can be sloppy while the top is great, like today. So it's hard to predict.

That's a very cool tour. I'm headed to Cooke this weekend (which is looking less than ideal temperature-wise now); do you think I'd be better off targeting spring skiing at lower elevations or looking for winter conditions at higher elevations and less-sunny aspects?

Is anybody headed south of Big Sky tomorrow afternoon/evening or Friday morning? I'm trying to figure out a ride so I can ski the Gallatin Crest. I have deer and elk meat as a bribe, or beer $ if that's preferable.
    I have Thursday off with no plans, I can probably help you out. Send me a PM.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

How was bridger today? Thinking about a couple Saddle laps tomorrow before watching basketball and getting shitfaced.

Man, it wasn't too bad really. Still softish enough underneath to have some fun on the high T. I bet Saddle will be worth it tomorrow. Should freeze good tonight, the ice chunks will be harder, but at least you should be able to see where they're at, mostly. Should be good where it's smooth, mostly.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Oh man, harder mostly or mostly harder? That sounds like my kind of skiing.

Well, you know, all relative to this year. I suppose it will be good enough to give the mountain another chance to pick me off!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Here are a few photos of our ski trip across the Beartooths this past week. We started in Cooke City (unfortunately, the bakery was not open that day) and skied up to the Aero Lakes, then across the high part of the plateau over to the Lake Fork. The amount of snow up high right now is staggering. Also, even though we did this on totally un-rad 3-pin nordic gear, this was easily the coolest skiing trip I have ever been on.

Our first day in the alpine, in perfect snow and glorious sunshine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aero.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1,009.3 KB 
ID:	202820

Skiing across one of many wee little cornices:

Name:	Cornice.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	691.7 KB 
ID:	202819

After being in this area in August and seeing huge drifts lingering into late summer, I wanted to see what these things looked like at peak snowpack. The sense of scale is difficult to comprehend even when you're standing next to stuff like this, but suffice to say everything is huge.

Name:	Drifts.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	735.6 KB 
ID:	202821

Scoping out a spot to dig a snow cave for the night, at around 10,800'.

Name:	Snowbank.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	840.4 KB 
ID:	202822

Continental breakfast included.

Name:	_DSF7390.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	898.8 KB 
ID:	202823

Exit day.

Name:	LakeFork.jpg 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	202824

nice tour. a few years ago we skied Sleeping Giant to East Rosebud surprisingly once you left the non motorized areas we saw no one. Did you carry a GPS for the plateau? Good to see trips like this being posted.
    off your knees Louie

No GPS for the plateau, just paper topo maps. I'm pretty familiar with the area, and we had enough extra food and books to wait out a couple days of storms, which never materialized.

So awesome! Glad that worked out so well for you Aenigma. Inspires me to get up in them Bearthooths.

Here's a few from the Gallatin Crest, while I'm at it. I did this trip in 3 days, but would have preferred 5 (unfortunately, my ideas for trips far surpass the amount of time I have for them). I skied this one solo, saw nobody until the last couple miles, and it was glorious.

Fortress Mountain, which has a couple nice-looking lines I had to pass on.

Name:	_DSF7522.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	202825

Warm temps made it possible to go really light, and pick some ideal camping spots. From here, I watched the sun drop directly behind the Sphinx.

Name:	_DSF7527.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	202826

The cornices are just starting to come loose for the season. I spent quite a bit of time hugging the dirt side of the ridgelines, and it was pretty common to see huge cracks forming right where the snow attached. The little blocks in this photo are at least the size of minivans, for scale.

Name:	_DSF7571.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	916.5 KB 
ID:	202827

~45 miles of this was pretty neat.

Name:	_DSF7578.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	202828

I took my tea out to admire the sunrise, and realized I had camped right at the top of a side entrance to this couloir. I caved in to fate and skied it.

Name:	_DSF7591.jpg 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	202830

As always Aenigma, super cool trip reports. Makes me wish I had the stamina these days to do a multi-day trek.

Sweet shots Aenigma. Where did you start the crest traverse? Dailey Creek?
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

I did start at Dailey Creek. I skipped summiting Ramshorn and Fortress due to snow and time constraints, but was right on the crest the rest of the time. It should be great skiing for at least a few more weeks (weather pending), and it would be super cool to exit via South Cottonwood or Mystic Lake once Hyalite closes.

Looks like a couple of really cool tours Aenigma. Thanks for the stoke.

Big Sky offering some new options on season passes
    http://bigskyresort.com/the-mountain...2hunprqifc517q

Quote Originally Posted by BigSkyfan View Post
    Big Sky offering some new options on season passes
    http://bigskyresort.com/the-mountain...2hunprqifc517q
    Silver Tram looks like a winner

That's interesting the non-tram options. Way to cut down on tram lines?

I think there are just certain people who never ride the tram. Probably the people who spend the most money on hotels and restaurants. Frankly I've hardly waited in any tram lines this year, seems like lots of walk-on days or wait one or two cars. Occasionally it builds up to 45 minutes but that's been rare.

Wonder if they've done away with the Sky Card. Doesn't usually go on sale until later. There is that Montana pass but that's kind of lame, no daily discount, just the two crappiest weeks of the season (usually).

Edit: I was wrong, the Montana Pass gives a $10 a day discount (down from $30/day on the old Sky Card) and also includes one free day any time during the season, except holidays, in addition to the first and last week free. So it's still an okay deal.
    Last edited by yeahman; 03-20-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I think there are just certain people who never ride the tram. Probably the people who spend the most money on hotels and restaurants. Frankly I've hardly waited in any tram lines this year, seems like lots of walk-on days or wait one or two cars. Occasionally it builds up to 45 minutes but that's been rare.

Wonder if they've done away with the Sky Card. Doesn't usually go on sale until later. There is that Montana pass but that's kind of lame, no daily discount, just the two crappiest weeks of the season (usually).

Edit: I was wrong, the Montana Pass gives a $10 a day discount (down from $30/day on the old Sky Card) and also includes one free day any time during the season, except holidays, in addition to the first and last week free. So it's still an okay deal.
    Montana pass looks like rebirth of sky card with fewer discounts at double the price. This years sky card ditched free ski weeks, they probably won't have near the beer swilling crowd as normal.
    I'll wait to see if it goes $79 in fall.

Season Passes
    Buy now, limited quantities available.
    O Really?

Quote Originally Posted by bunion View Post
    O Really?
    Yeah I thought that was weird. Plus I couldn't find any cut-off date for the early season discount.

The one free lift ticket that comes with the Montana Pass almost pays for the whole thing, so that's probably worth it, especially if it somehow ends up being good conditions first or last week. Two weeks plus a day during the season isn't bad for $149.

But...the best thing I see in all these new options is the "bring a buddy" deal with a Gold Pass. You can get up to three $79 lift tickets for somebody else if you have a Gold Pass. Since me and my two kids get Gold Passes, we can use those 9 discounted days to buy my wife's tickets (she usually gets the Sky Card, now the Montana Pass).

For us, that actually works out really well.