Page 180 of 884 FirstFirst ... 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 ... LastLast
Results 4,476 to 4,500 of 22099
    ^^Did Liberty with my kids about 11 a.m. Low viz but good windbuff. Line was short. They opened Marx/Gullies later, heard it was good.

Nice. Hopefully we add a couple inches tonight to get blown around. Otherwise might be kinda interesting if it keeps blowing like this.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Swifty appears to be down...

Challenger down too.
    Wind for challenger. Swifty was back up in an hour. Ghosts in the machine. Yesterday was hell, I haven't had a work day like that in a long time. Between wind and random electrical bugs I must have climbed at least 10 towers and spent all day running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Hopefully the damn wind dies down this week, we wanted to shut down andesite cause it was blowing 60-70 in the afternoon but due to crowds we kept shit spinning and it was a shitshow. I can wait for it to be mid January haha

They're really going to need to relocate the Indian burial ground underneath Swifty sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftybish View Post
    Wind for challenger. Swifty was back up in an hour. Ghosts in the machine. Yesterday was hell, I haven't had a work day like that in a long time. Between wind and random electrical bugs I must have climbed at least 10 towers and spent all day running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Hopefully the damn wind dies down this week, we wanted to shut down andesite cause it was blowing 60-70 in the afternoon but due to crowds we kept shit spinning and it was a shitshow. I can wait for it to be mid January haha
    Nice job getting Swifty going again. It was a Xmas clusterf*ck at the base for awhile that's for sure. First ride of the day I smelled something burning and had a feeling...not sure if it was related to the later shutdown. I asked the lifty what is that smell and he said somebody was "cooking breakfast" in the shack. With a wink. You got a tough job dealing with that ol' workhorse of a chairlift..

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Nice job getting Swifty going again. It was a Xmas clusterf*ck at the base for awhile that's for sure. First ride of the day I smelled something burning and had a feeling...not sure if it was related to the later shutdown. I asked the lifty what is that smell and he said somebody was "cooking breakfast" in the shack. With a wink. You got a tough job dealing with that ol' workhorse of a chairlift..
    You'll get that burning smell whenever it's super crowded and she starts and stops a lot, lots of stress on the old bitch and having the brakes slam shut so often gets those pads mighty hot. Hopefully after what went down yesterday they'll be more inclined to put a new lift out of the base before the ramcharger/shedhorn fuckshow

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    They're really going to need to relocate the Indian burial ground underneath Swifty sometime.
    There's a pretty angry one under challenger too haha.

Just got back from down at the Really Big. Quite a bit of wind scour in places, some soft and fluffy in others. Challenger was skiing very nice.

I must say that the Lifty crews were working their asses off to get people grouped to maximum size for both Swifty and 6-Shooter, huge props to Danica at 6-Shooter.

The base area was a mob scene and the ride up Swifty was painful, it must have stopped 8 times. Got to be hard on the equipment.

Pretty soon they will all be gone. Don't wanna be a downer and I hope I am wrong but the Snowmageddon predicted for tonite through Saturday appears to be falling apart. Too much hype, please NWS, just predict Snow Showers.

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Six shooter was gaper central.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    I must say that the Lifty crews were working their asses off to get people grouped to maximum size for both Swifty and 6-Shooter, huge props to Danica at 6-Shooter.
    Danica must have been on her lunch break when I rolled into Six Shooter because it was a fucking gong show, and 100 percent the fault of the Lifty's.

They were deployed to the entrance of the corral to scan everyone, but once in the corral there was zero supervision. So you had groups of 2 or 3 already in the corral just standing around waiting for the rest of their crew to show up, while chairs on a 6 person lift were loading with 1 or 2 people. I was #3 in the single's line and I saw a chair about to load with 1 person so I shoved the other 2 out of the way and got on with the other solo guy. This while the corral was jam packed with at least 20 to 30 people just standing around waiting.

#needsomeleadership
    #iamanassholewhoshovespeopleintheliftline
    #angermanagementissues...
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I can't even count how many times I heard "ya'all" today. Put that in the shit-that-annoys-you-but-shouldn't thread.

Best run I did was windbuff Marx at about two. Fun skiing.

Anyone have a local seamster they use for outwear repairs? The zipper on my shell shit the bed when I went to take it off for the second hike on Christmas, Patagonia says the turnaround for them to repair it will take almost the entirety of January or they can send me a new zipper by next week.

^^ Misty at Easy Pieces in Big Sky. She has a seamstress shop in the Bugaboo Cafe building, just before you make the turn into Big Sky.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

If you need it done in BZN, try Andy at Outaware. Ex Big Sky ski patroller. Excellent work although he is a bit eccentric.

Patagonia sends a lot of their repairs to The Green Darner in Bozeman according to a friend. Might as well try them and cut out Patagonia.

Green Darner but she usually is booked out for a bit. I think her website or Facebook page lets you sign up for an appointments.

Just got back from down at the Really Big. Quite a bit of wind scour in places, some soft and fluffy in others. Challenger was skiing very nice.

The base area was a mob scene and the ride up Swifty was painful, it must have stopped 8 times. Got to be hard on the equipment.
    The liftys we're blowing it yesterday...you must have hit swifty when the lead was there giving breaks cause the regular ops there were some of the worst I've seen. For about 3 hours I ran the buttons in the shack and .my coworker or boss stood at the wait here boards and made sure people followed the chair, which was frustrating as hell cause that's not our job but the damn operator was gonna kill someone if shit stayed the way it was. Also terrifying watching the poor lift ramp back up after a slow or stop, she was working so hard yesterday.

I just looked at the Vail thread. Jeezus.... I am going to shut up and quit complaining about lines at Swifty and Six Shooter now.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftybish View Post
    The liftys we're blowing it yesterday...you must have hit swifty when the lead was there giving breaks cause the regular ops there were some of the worst I've seen. For about 3 hours I ran the buttons in the shack and my coworker or boss stood at the wait here boards and made sure people followed the chair, which was frustrating as hell cause that's not our job but the damn operator was gonna kill someone if shit stayed the way it was. Also terrifying watching the poor lift ramp back up after a slow or stop, she was working so hard yesterday.
    Not slagging on your Mtn Ops people because I know your team is busy.

When I worked at Moonlight it was a given that Christmas and Presidents weekend were going to be mayhem and it was required that everyone who was working would pitch in to make things flow.

If that meant me standing at the bottom of 6-shooter and helping to get people into groups of 6, then that is what I did. It wasn't my job either but that wasn't the point.

At Bridger that same idea applies. When I was shown the door at Big Sky during the "merger" maybe I WAS right and the scale of Operations at Big Sky is just too big for that kind of teamwork to be a reality. Its unfortunate that for reasons I don't know, that many working there don't understand that idea or didn't get the message. Eh Stephen???

Yesterday when I rode Swifty (1 time) there was a young patroller standing up top getting people to clear the ramp so the top operator wouldn't need to slow the lift if it got crowded. That is the kind of spirit Big Sky's Mtn Ops needs.

Again, this mayhem is a 7-10 day phenomenon and then Big Sky will be back to a nice quiet place until Mid-February.

Hang in there you are almost through the Christmas rush.

On another note. Last nite I listened to my gutters running all night as it rained, yes rained in Bozeman. All the snow on my north facing deck (2') is now gone.

Jesus, you gallatin folks get that cold front moving through? My weather station is showing an overnight high of 28 and it's currently -3. I know we just had cold temps but after yesterday -anything is gonna feel brisk.

+28F and an inch of fresh up high

Quote Originally Posted by Notchtop View Post
    Jesus, you gallatin folks get that cold front moving through? My weather station is showing an overnight high of 28 and it's currently -3. I know we just had cold temps but after yesterday -anything is gonna feel brisk.
    The cold air support is still to the North and East of us.

Name:  sat_sfc_map.gif
Views: 479
Size:  73.2 KB

Had it been over the Gallatin Valley last night there would be a solid foot or better of new snow in my yard in 4 Corners. As it is this is the most snow I have had in my yard since I bought the dump in 2006.

Harry, Lookout Ridge is showing 3" of what is probably Jersey Cream. Going to be good today.

https://www.mtavalanche.com/weather/.../lookout-ridge

Heading up to Great Divide where they had about 10 inches overnight and will have about an inch an hour until tomorrow afternoon. YeeHaw!

Good to see a shot of denser snow coming in...Holiday abomination almost over, lord have mercy...Thanks for the entertaining rants, and continue to watch your back for those cornfed meat missles of all ages, shapes, and sizes. We'll get through it, Ullr willing.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Not slagging on your Mtn Ops people because I know your team is busy.

When I worked at Moonlight it was a given that Christmas and Presidents weekend were going to be mayhem and it was required that everyone who was working would pitch in to make things flow.

If that meant me standing at the bottom of 6-shooter and helping to get people into groups of 6, then that is what I did. It wasn't my job either but that wasn't the point.

At Bridger that same idea applies. When I was shown the door at Big Sky during the "merger" maybe I WAS right and the scale of Operations at Big Sky is just too big for that kind of teamwork to be a reality. Its unfortunate that for reasons I don't know, that many working there don't understand that idea or didn't get the message. Eh Stephen???

Yesterday when I rode Swifty (1 time) there was a young patroller standing up top getting people to clear the ramp so the top operator wouldn't need to slow the lift if it got crowded. That is the kind of spirit Big Sky's Mtn Ops needs.

Again, this mayhem is a 7-10 day phenomenon and then Big Sky will be back to a nice quiet place until Mid-February.

Hang in there you are almost through the Christmas rush.

On another note. Last nite I listened to my gutters running all night as it rained, yes rained in Bozeman. All the snow on my north facing deck (2') is now gone.
    Normally for the holidays we have a solid crew at the bottom but for some reason the op down there yesterday was a total space kidette who would have been way more at home at Spanish peaks or something. We had a chat with Ross about it and we should have a better crew down there. I get the whole one team thing but it's a real bummer when you have 2-3 mechanics doing lifty work to cover for a shitty operator on the busiest lift on the mountain. It's a good thing the lifts ran ok because if we had to go respond to a breakdown swifty would have had a line twice as long. I'm glad patrol was helping at the top, that was huge.

Quote Originally Posted by ski counselor View Post
    Heading up to Great Divide where they had about 10 inches overnight and will have about an inch an hour until tomorrow afternoon. YeeHaw!
    Power outage has them closed today, according to their FB.