Page 488 of 500 FirstFirst ... 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 ... LastLast
Results 12,176 to 12,200 of 12482
    FKNA!

Very tempted to go for a drive to look for some meadow skipping tomorrow, seeing that^ doesn't help.

Thinking of heading up to teton pass tomorrow. I'm guessing there should at least be a little base under the last storm. That or showdown. Having 4 day weekends is going to o be awesome.

Headed up to BB with the wife and a friend late morning. Ton of people up there and sounds like there were more yesterday. My first turns since messing up my knee in April so I was pretty hesitant to take the first few. Kept it real mellow and came away with no knee pain or core shots. Fucking stoked.

Welcome back.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Welcome back.
    Thanks!

Showdown is sitting really well at the moment. Was up Sunday and there was maybe 20-30 people there. Base from last weekend firmed up nice. Then 8-12 of dense but cold pow. Took a few laps and never saw or heard a rock. Go get it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99E8F041-F9E9-46CD-BB61-824043E260E3.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	433.2 KB 
ID:	344914

If anyone in the Bozeman area wants to stretch the legs with a walk on snow this afternoon let me know. Might head up to BB to see how poorly my skins stick to my skis these days.

Rocktoburrr

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Showdown today was great. No worries about the base whatsoever.

Name:	PXL_20201026_173013996.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	345059
    Last edited by toastybroski; 10-26-2020 at 08:14 PM.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I was bawls deep a couple times today chasing forest horses. Tracks and beds EVERYWHERE. Looks like we were a only an hour or two behind them. Way she goes. Beautiful day out there!

Can anyone give me the lowdown on the lincoln/copper creek area? What roads close in the winter and what is hikable without a sled. So many forest roads I don't want to get stuck on if they are a dead end and some pretty complex terrain. Feel free to pm if not trying to make public. Maybe even a gpx track if im lucky (or show me around)? This guy always tags it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGz09lgl..._web_copy_link

Lol yup

Name:	MT.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	345102

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

^^Heh. That Instagram clip is our channel 12 weather guy Curtis. Gotta love a weather person who craves snowstorms and doesn't consider sunny warm days in the winter to be "nice" weather. I think the snowmobile map online will give you the lay of the land. Just head up there and start exploring. Also, posting on the Montana Backcountry Alliance group on Facebook might help you find partners.
    Last edited by yeahman; 10-27-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Can anyone give me the lowdown on the lincoln/copper creek area? What roads close in the winter and what is hikable without a sled. So many forest roads I don't want to get stuck on if they are a dead end and some pretty complex terrain. Feel free to pm if not trying to make public. Maybe even a gpx track if im lucky (or show me around)? This guy always tags it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGz09lgl..._web_copy_link
    Damn, that looks fun. Took a quick look at Onx and it looks like Copper Creek Road is open year-round, no mention of whether or not it's plowed. Looks like a pretty sweet area, though.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Damn, that looks fun. Took a quick look at Onx and it looks like Copper Creek Road is open year-round, no mention of whether or not it's plowed. Looks like a pretty sweet area, though.
    Oh really? I heard it's usually impassible other than early fall/late spring. Someone suggested stonewall via the road just north of town but that's some gnarly steep terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    To ski Stonewall in the winter, drive North Beaver Creek Road and park at the junction of where Parlin Park begins. From there, it's a simple skin up Stonewall Creek. The skiing is not on Stonewall Mountain, though, it's on the slopes to the west side of the drainage.

I don't think Copper Creek Road is plowed past Landers Fork, and maybe not even that far.

Oh really? I heard it's usually impassible other than early fall/late spring. Someone suggested stonewall via the road just north of town but that's some gnarly steep terrain.
    Just going by the open dates in the app, I've never been but it doesn't surprise me at all that it becomes impassable since it is just a Forest Service road to nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    To ski Stonewall in the winter, drive North Beaver Creek Road and park at the junction of where Parlin Park begins. From there, it's a simple skin up Stonewall Creek. The skiing is not on Stonewall Mountain, though, it's on the slopes to the west side of the drainage.

I don't think Copper Creek Road is plowed past Landers Fork, and maybe not even that far.
    Going to bookmark this and hopefully take a trip up that way this winter for a change of pace.

Yikes, that looks complex and fun. Definitely not something to do solo. I see a couple of giant slide paths. I should buy a sled. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    ^^Heh. That's our channel 12 weather guy Curtis. Gotta love a weather person who craves snowstorms and doesn't consider sunny warm days in the winter to be "nice" weather. I think the snowmobile map online will give you the lay of the land. Just head up there and start exploring. Also, posting on the Montana Backcountry Alliance group on Facebook might help you find partners.
    Agreed, Curtis is awesome. Good at what he does and a passionate skier.

Yikes, that looks complex and fun. Definitely not something to do solo. I see a couple of giant slide paths. I should buy a sled. Thanks for the help.
    Not complex at all IMO if you stay on the west side of the drainage. There's sort of an upper and a lower slope, and I don't think either were created by slides. Skiing the lower is a cinch, and the upper just has a short section where you have to scoot around a steeper slope but other than that it's not a big deal. Definitely do not need a sled if you park on Beaver Creek -- and I have never seen one in there anyway.

Not complex at all IMO if you stay on the west side of the drainage. There's sort of an upper and a lower slope, and I don't think either were created by slides. Skiing the lower is a cinch, and the upper just has a short section where you have to scoot around a steeper slope but other than that it's not a big deal. Definitely do not need a sled if you park on Beaver Creek -- and I have never seen one in there anyway.
    I'll delete these photos in a couple of hours. Are you talking about the green/yellow (I fucked up my colors between photos) area all the way in? I am pretty sure red and blue are slide paths.
    Last edited by toastybroski; 10-27-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Not saying those don't ever slide, they well may. But the vegetation community change looks due to moisture and grade differences, not created by slide paths. I haven't spent any time there, but looks like riparian and wetland habitat. Maybe that's not what you are basing your assessment on though.

Never been there either but the Blue outline certain looks like trim lines from slide activity, Red, not so much.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

That yellow/green section looks pretty great. Definitely a bit of a slog to get all the way back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Never been there either but the Blue outline certain looks like trim lines from slide activity, Red, not so much.
    Definitely has that look, might be a combination of slide activity and moisture regime creating the veg shift. Particularly on the eastern edge, west edge has an abrupt grade change. Now I'm curious to check it out sans snow.