Page 6 of 884 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Its a bleek forecast for sure, but at least we have Hyalite with good coverage
    and the best stability around here. A good way to spend a sunny day which there are
    lots of in our forecast.

"Best stability around" isn't looking too hot.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    No shit. Dug around up in those parts the other day and depth hoar is still very alive and waiting for a nice little trigger. It didn't make me very ambitous, but I guess I outgrew the invincibility stage years ago.

I agree, looks that weak layer isn't buried quite as "deep" in the Hyalite.

Nice skiing Jup, looks like avalanche danger up Hyalite is only at "point it".
    Almost felt like I saw the light at the end of the gimp tunnel, but it seems the rebuilt knee doesn't like too many days in a week.
    I realize now I kinda gotta steer clear of variable conditions for a while if I'm gonna ski very much this year.
    Oh well not a bad time to just chill and work on the tunes.

Vibes and resepct to the fallen and the grieving.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

who won the banked slalom? does an event like that actually have a winner?

Vibes to the girl who fell through the constriction below First Fork a couple days ago.. Apparently, she was pretty torn up with dozens of facial stitches and a severely smashed arm. Maybe Bunion can fill us in..

On that subject, it is a firm, fast, slide-fest in the steeps.. Watched a lady fall down Lenin from the Yeti clear to the traverses back to Marx today, among many, many others.. Also heard a conversation at the top tramshack complete with a guy complaining that he thought his snowboard was now, "probably somewhere in that rocky bowl down there." (Chicken Bowl)

The skiing is fast and fun, but if you go down, expect that either you or your gear will take a ride.

Stay safe out there.
    Stay left.

Woah, that sounds pretty shitty. Hope the girl is ok.

Don't catch yer bum hole on the sharktooth slipp'n'slides.

www.kbzk.com/news/snow-and-cold-next-week/

Oh wait ... I've probably jinxed us.

so, how was the rock dodge today? raising arizona? i had to take care of sick people today, therefore was not able to procure the fine foot that fell at my rock, but tomm, yes tommorrow pow turns will be had. question is, do i stay home and ski my home hill's special stashes, or head over to ltpm for what could be a pretty sick pow thurs??

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    I think this will probably come to pass.

Why you may ask?

We had the initial meeting this week about the FWT event at MLB, 1/27-28 & 29. Or as I like to call it, the WTF? event.

The prevailing opinion is the conditions right now aren't that great but these athletes are some of the best at what they do, the conditions while not ideal are the same for each and every competitor they will have ample time to check out the venue so..... WTF? Lets go and do this thing.

In my experience if you want to have crushing snowfall, schedule some sort of event that will be disrupted and made much more difficult to pull off by that snowfall. so................

After watching the feeds from Revy and the snow/weather that the area dealt with all I can say is bring it on.

Also after watching the feed from Revy, those skiers are going to have their eyes really opened up when they get to ski Headwaters.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

^^^^^^ you guys gonna have classes 3,4,5 open for that bad boy?

can't wait to see those FWT guys skiing the headwaters. Hopefully, it's filled in enough for some of the rowdier lines to be in play. It should snow that week as I'll be out of town.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

So effing annoyed. The boss's son (kind of a temp right now) came into the office today talking about how he skied Red Lodge yesterday and that it was chest deep at spots. What really pissed me off was how we was complaining that there was TOO much powder. I said "that's what powder skis are for." He replied that he was just on some crappy rentals. Don't know why he didn't just swap out for some demos. So not fair that people like him are there tracking it out before I can get there.

Why the heck does it always decide to dump during the work week! I swear, the next time that happens, I'm taking the day off. Grrrrrr.

Hopefully some of you guys are getting in on the goods, though!

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    So effing annoyed. The boss's son (kind of a temp right now) came into the office today talking about how he skied Red Lodge yesterday and that it was chest deep at spots. What really pissed me off was how we was complaining that there was TOO much powder. I said "that's what powder skis are for." He replied that he was just on some crappy rentals. Don't know why he didn't just swap out for some demos. So not fair that people like him are there tracking it out before I can get there.

Why the heck does it always decide to dump during the work week! I swear, the next time that happens, I'm taking the day off. Grrrrrr.

Hopefully some of you guys are getting in on the goods, though!
    That needs to go in the Gaper Quote Thread. Brutal. You should also slap this guy in his whore mouth.

Thinking about taking a roadie over tomorrow after work and skiing Saturday. Who will be around?

Quote Originally Posted by rockcreek View Post
    ^^^^^^ you guys gonna have classes 3,4,5 open for that bad boy?

Not really up to us unless it is a concern for snow stability. The Folks putting on the event will be here a couple of days in advance, we will take em up and show em around and they will tell us what they want and we will let them know if we can accommodate.

Tentative plan is Qualifier in Cold Spring to Jack Creek. Final round from Rock Creek to Dead Goat/Obsidian. Plenty of terrain for these folks to strut their stuff.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

can't wait to see those FWT guys skiing the headwaters.
    x2

Question for Bunion: I have enjoyed watching the Headwaters Runoff events over the years, but have always wished I was sitting on something. Will the lift-ops let me take a folding chair on the lift the day of the comp ?
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    x2

Question for Bunion: I have enjoyed watching the Headwaters Runoff events over the years, but have always wished I was sitting on something. Will the lift-ops let me take a folding chair on the lift the day of the comp ?

I think that might be encouraged. I will ask and get back to you. No Lazy Boy loungers though.

Holy shit! Check out this page from the National Weather Service in Missoula: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/FXC/make_img...ize=1&force=no

Can it be true?!?!

Or, check out this one: http://unofficialnetworks.com/prolon...ific-nw-66379/

Winter might come after all!

wind blew just right today, gotta love it when your tracks get the refill every other lap, and in spots u get quality taint massagins.

yes plenty of terrain indeed on the headwaters, tentative plans sound legit. def lots of bigboy options on them there chutes, but i'll think i'll wait to till the end of march for the runoff and the filled-in goods.

bunion, u have a copy of the old hw trail map layin around somewhere?? u know the one where half the chutes were named after coombs or some shit? kinda was lookin to find and frame that, for nostalgia and such purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xdresser View Post
    Self-aggrandize much?
    Have you seen any of the videos from Revy? No offense at all to anyone, and maybe the videos of the terrain weren't representative of the venue, but it looked like the competitors had about 400' vert to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by rockcreek View Post
    wind blew just right today, gotta love it when your tracks get the refill every other lap, and in spots u get quality taint massagins.

yes plenty of terrain indeed on the headwaters, tentative plans sound legit. def lots of bigboy options on them there chutes, but i'll think i'll wait to till the end of march for the runoff and the filled-in goods.

bunion, u have a copy of the old hw trail map layin around somewhere?? u know the one where half the chutes were named after coombs or some shit? kinda was lookin to find and frame that, for nostalgia and such purposes.

Not sure which era you are discussing.

Before MLB the area was themed after Nashville and Elvis.

When we opened up in 2003 the names that are current were placed on the area.
    Last edited by Bunion; 01-12-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    That needs to go in the Gaper Quote Thread. Brutal. You should also slap this guy in his whore mouth.

Thinking about taking a roadie over tomorrow after work and skiing Saturday. Who will be around?
    I'll be up there Saturday for sure. Snow's still great from what I hear. Forecasts are looking great for the weekend too, so I just may be celebrating Martin Luther King Day in the best way possible. The company expects us all to work that day, which of course guarantees a huge dump. Holding off on making that decision, though, as I wouldn't want to jinx us all.

soon...

So the official word is, the evil persistent high pressure system that sat off the coast is now finally moving south. This means the upper states (WA through the Kota's) will resume a better than average snow pattern.

This season is real similar to 95-96 if I am remembering right. And it was an epic late season.

Keep your fingers crossed, and keep those fatties waxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    So the official word is, the evil persistent high pressure system that sat off the coast is now finally moving south. This means the upper states (WA through the Kota's) will resume a better than average snow pattern.

This season is real similar to 95-96 if I am remembering right. And it was an epic late season.

Keep your fingers crossed, and keep those fatties waxed.

Nope, not at all like 95-96. We had a LOT of snow.... I mean a LOT of snow early in the year of our lord 1995/96. Like nearly 100 inches in October alone.

That was the initial season of the Lone Peak tram and when we finally got the sucker built and opened we were skiing everything possible on about day 3.

I will still remember skiing Castro's face down and over the Beard on day 3 and absolutely marveling that such a steep convex roller could hold so much snow.

That was an epic season for the stability that so much early season snow brought to us. After October we had a big Nov. and a big December. All in all it was one of the best years I can remember on Lone Mountain.

But, back to this predicted pattern change. Averages are created by balancing our the extremes. So far this has been an extremely stingy winter. Time for the pendulum to swing.

And if it does, all those slide paths off of Wilson Peak and Mt Chipperfield and Dudley Peak will finally demonstrate how that got as big as they are. In my 20 years here I have yet to see a really big avalanche cycle and I have seen a lot of big avalanches. This one could be a honey.