Page 500 of 891 FirstFirst ... 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 ... LastLast
Results 12,476 to 12,500 of 22270
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    We can beat the topic to death all we want. I didn't pay to see that article. My guess is they wrote about how rivers were super busy this summer. Unfortunately rivers are text book low hanging fruit. Especially fishable sections you can drive right to or are an easy float to. Lift served skiing is also low hanging fruit (that most of us still love). Skin, hike, bike more than 3 or 4 miles from a trailhead and it's all mountains without massive hoards.

See the stoke posted above by usda

total jong here, my apologies in advance:

i'm headed up to wyoming/sw montana to tour for a couple days (socially distant, no hotels, only people in my household), and while i have spent plenty of time skiing togwotee, two oceans, etc, i've never toured in sw montana. looking at the weather models, it appears that sw montana is slightly favored in this upcoming storm cycle.

would anyone mind pointing me in the right direction for a small (n=2) group of capable ski-tourers interested in skiing around SW montana? not looking for secret powder stashes, just general zones and trailheads i can research. thanks in advance for any beta or help, and i will certainly pay it back to any mags who want to come tour the wasatch

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    total jong here, my apologies in advance:

i'm headed up to wyoming/sw montana to tour for a couple days (socially distant, no hotels, only people in my household), and while i have spent plenty of time skiing togwotee, two oceans, etc, i've never toured in sw montana. looking at the weather models, it appears that sw montana is slightly favored in this upcoming storm cycle.

would anyone mind pointing me in the right direction for a small (n=2) group of capable ski-tourers interested in skiing around SW montana? not looking for secret powder stashes, just general zones and trailheads i can research. thanks in advance for any beta or help, and i will certainly pay it back to any mags who want to come tour the wasatch
    SWMT is a pretty big area, but decent spots in the Bozeman/Big Sky area include Beehive Basin near Big Sky, Fairy Lake in the Bridgers, you can tour up Bridger Bowl, Hyalite Canyon has lots of options too. Pretty low tide up here just to warn you.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    SWMT is a pretty big area, but decent spots in the Bozeman/Big Sky area include Beehive Basin near Big Sky, Fairy Lake in the Bridgers, you can tour up Bridger Bowl, Hyalite Canyon has lots of options too. Pretty low tide up here just to warn you.
    yeah, that's what i'm gathering

just going off of snotel data, maybe the move is to stay around togwotee/maybe venture up to cooke city? 8" of snow water equivalent at two oceans, 12" around cooke... that looks pretty decent compared to the 5" we have in the central wasatch

I was in the Tetons last week, and that’s the move for now. Had a couple friends touring Togwotee Pass yesterday as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    I was in the Tetons last week, and that’s the move for now. Had a couple friends touring Togwotee Pass yesterday as well.
    rad, copy that. i assume there's enough of a base for areas like mavericks, 25 short, etc to ski okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    The NY Times agrees with your assessment:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/23/u...smid=em-share=
    That's some cutting edge reporting - Montana got crowded and real estate prices went up. Damn pandemic, everything was fine up until that happened ...
    Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton

Quote Originally Posted by CountryFunk View Post
    That's some cutting edge reporting - Montana got crowded and real estate prices went up. Damn pandemic, everything was fine up until that happened ...
    Pretty sure this thread is responsible for 69% of that growth. Shhhh...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On a related note does anybody know what Andy Wirth has been up to in Big Sky the last couple years??

Quote Originally Posted by 0g View Post
    Pretty sure this thread is responsible for 69% of that growth. Shhhh...

Per Bunion's sig - I have been in this State for 28 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.
    Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton

Montana was only busy in the papers and national parks. Spent the entire summer biking, camping and peak bagging around the state. Hit most of the classics and rarely saw anybody. Never had trouble finding a dispersed camp spot.

Lots of bombs going off all day at the Really Big Resort.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    New york times paywall really annoys me...
    If you are using chrome or firefox, just right-click the link and select open in new incognito/private window.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahyawnson View Post
    If you are using chrome or firefox, just right-click the link and select open in new incognito/private window.
    Is that how u keep your secret east coast article reading away from the missus?!?! Fuck. I've been busted too many times when she catches me down some Washington post rabbit hole.

Flmr went from very able to buff today! Nice to see it get blown smooth. Annnndddd my poor dog who was and awesome ski pooch last year, and a well behaved bike dog all summer has turned to the dark side. Got a shock collar and he gonna get some learnin' real soon. I could prolly watch a YouTube or two as well...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Fall Line Will Set You Free

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Lots of bombs going off all day at the Really Big Resort.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Got to get those yearly training shots out of the way in case it ever snows.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    rad, copy that. i assume there's enough of a base for areas like mavericks, 25 short, etc to ski okay?
    I think you’re in for heavy bushwhacking in the park. I skied Coal Creek and Edelweiss last week, and it was thin in spots, great in others.

Check in with the Jhole thread and see what folks have to say. Otherwise... Mt Baker is the resort I would honestly be heading for if I was chasing the best quality in the lower 48.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    I think you’re in for heavy bushwhacking in the park. I skied Coal Creek and Edelweiss last week, and it was thin in spots, great in others.

Check in with the Jhole thread and see what folks have to say. Otherwise... Mt Baker is the resort I would honestly be heading for if I was chasing the best quality in the lower 48.
    Ps... nice work USDAtele

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    He has lived in Helena for decades, not behind a desk in the NYT, and the article is accurate.

Although taking a pic of the M parking lot crowded is lazy-ass reporting by the photographer. Of course it's packed, covid or not.
    The photographer has lived in Bozeman for many decades. She's old school Bozeman and a great person. She lives in NE Bozeman and loves to hike the M and Drinking Horse, and I'm sure she's been appalled at the crowds there, even pre-pandemic, for years.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    The photographer has lived in Bozeman for many decades. She's old school Bozeman and a great person. She lives in NE Bozeman and loves to hike the M and Drinking Horse, and I'm sure she's been appalled at the crowds there, even pre-pandemic, for years.
    You didn't disprove my point at all though. Honestly I don't really give a shit though, carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    You didn't disprove my point at all though. Honestly I don't really give a shit though, carry on.
    Not trying to disprove (or prove) anything. Just commenting about the photographer as she is a friend. But yeah, a photo of the crowded parking lot at the M says nothing about how COVID has affected Bozeman.

Ah, got it. My mistake. And I shoulda said instead, 'I don't want to start an argument though, carry on'.

Arguments aside, let's carry on. Bake those bitch mitts boys

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Fall Line Will Set You Free

Mmmm kincos and nikwax for Thanksgiving

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m going wells lamont hydrahyde suede gloves so people think I’m fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by East2West View Post
    I’m going wells lamont hydrahyde suede gloves so people think I’m fancy.
    You must usually ski at the Yellowstone Club if you are sporting Wells Lamont gloves! Are the Sugar Shacks really just hype?