Page 4 of 879 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Good riddance. This shit is fucked like a French whore in fishnets on a Friday night at the Filling Station. Let's be done with 'er.
    Amen! 100% in agreement on this. Whatta jacked up year.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Had a pass at Red Lodge for several years....good times when it snows. That chair has always been sketchy.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Well it is pissing rain and in the 40s here at Casa Bunion.

Looks to be below freezing up at the hill, x-fingers and get up early.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Forecast is looking great for tomorrow at Red Lodge. Not an epic dump or anything, but a few inches of fresh for a totally open mountain is always a good thing. Temps should be in the twenties this weekend.

For the record, the rain under Swifty turned to snow after the sun went down...and it's still snowing heavily here in the meadow after 1030pm. Regardless, I'll be chasing closed lifts and open chairs tomorrow for what will appear to be the decent snow tomorrow (hopefully). Had many laughs on the chairs thinking about the "diamond wasteland" and the "absolute and total lack of snow cover," over at MLB. You should take up poetry, Mr. Wordsmith.

BTW, megaprops to the Bobcat for getting a MT thread to stick in these parts.

Here's to the dream of a pow-day tomorrow.
    Stay left.

Be careful out there:http://mtavalanche.com/current

AVALANCHE WARNING

The Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center is issuing a Backcountry Avalanche Warning for the entire advisory area including the Bridger, Gallatin and Madison Ranges, the Lionhead area near West Yellowstone, the mountains around Cooke City. Heavy snowfall, high winds and an extremely weak snowpack are causing unstable conditions. Avalanches were occurring prior to last night’s storm. More are expected. Today the avalanche danger is HIGH on all slopes. Areas of unstable snow exist. Natural and human triggered avalanches are likely. Avalanche terrain including avalanche runout zones should be avoided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

^^^^^ big time sketchy in many places across the state. caught an awesome pow day @LTPM yesterday, though whoomphing, cracking, and natural activity were quite prevelant. the snow was, as we all know, heavy and wet, and is not bonding terribly well to the previous layer. STAY SAFE OUT THERE MT MAGS!!!!! happy new year and may ullr provide!!

Tone!!!! 1/2 price ticket in the seasons pass office with your full name on the envelope.

We opened Headwaters today and the skiing isn't bad.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Hell yeah where is that again?
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Big Sky was great today.. challenger, triple, and shed all skiied great

^^^^ now if only we could get the six thousand tourists off the hill, crazy how fast things got skied out. Lift lines on challenger and shed we're crazy, well worth it though good snow to be found! Hopefully a long day on the tram tomorrow, probably going to have to stumble from scissor bills to the pass of swifty to pass out and guarantee first chair in the morning.

Madison village, the place with the big tent. Season Pass office. Talk to Michelle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Tone!!!! 1/2 price ticket in the seasons pass office with your full name on the envelope.

That is a totally awesome thing to do. There are still good people in the world.

I think I'll try and get down there tommorow, thanks again man, sounds like you guys squeaked a good holiday out after all. Grateful for some snow and quality "prepared surfaces" for my gimpness.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

RIP :(

what the crapass snowpack claims two in cooke, gallatin canyon rd claims- at least- one other...?
    dang tough day-snowpack=garbage roads=shitty or maybe its the other way round
    now we wait to hear names, fuck

The GNFAC report is crazy today. Forecaster Erik Knoff was on site and participated in the rescue (body recovery). -> "Eric and his partner witnessed the avalanche and assisted in the rescue." That's crazy. Vibes to everyone involved, especially Eric. Still shocking to see people going out and pushing it in these kinds of conditions even though it seems way too common. I was out with another GNFAC forecaster the last time I think they actually put out an avalanche warning for the entire zone 2 years ago. We were skinning through trees near the Throne(s?)and heard sleds brapping our way. A few minutes later we heard trees snapping and saw a huge powder cloud rising. We went down quickly but luckily nobody was caught. About an hour later, a father and two high schoolers came into the zone and one of the kids high marked up into the path right next to the one that had just slid huge (R3-D2.5), same aspect steepness etc. We watched in terror, but it didn't go. I asked what my partner thought the chances of that path sliding on the kid and he replied he would've bet the farm.

Please be careful out there everyone!!!

That's a real bummer to hear about the two sledders in Cooke and the death in the Canyon. That many people and that much snow with the season we've had all leads up to not good things.

Big Sky was great on NYE. Sure, the lines were long and the tourons were many, but I was just damn happy to be out and making some turns with friends. I heard 5k people in Big Sky and a record weekend. Definitely the longest lift lines off Swifty I've seen in the decade and a half I've skied around here. Nonetheless, great to see so many people pouring their money into our region. We all may not like the gape-fest that ensues, but all those dollars help keep good folks like us employed and the lifts spinning.

Oh, and to the d-bag, entitled asshole local snowboarder bitching about Challenger not being open soon enough and yelling at the people getting out of line; karma is mofo. Don't be such a dick. It almost killed my stoke for the day. Almost.

Oh, and next time you monkeys are on the hill, holler. I'm usually in a light gray FlyLow shell, red pants and I'll either be on my orange/black XXLs or my 11/12 Bibby Pros.

Happy New Year! Here's to 2012 being that much better than 2011.

Nice tease^^^. Tough to motivate myself or others right now for touring with all the high winds and general bad news, but it's nice to see some decent snow to be found. I would really like to hook up with people interested in exploring up there^^^and seizing the windows of opportunity.

Didn't make it down to Moonlight today as I finally got the leg burn I've been overdue for at Bridger the last two days. I think two good days in a row is about the limit for the knee right now too. Stoked that it works pretty good while I'm out there though. I could actually ski the crud half the time yesterday, I can't believe it.

Lets hope this warm spell only has it's way with us for a week.

Anybody up at BS yesterday? Dakota opened up. Only 15-20 people on the lift total, untracked almost all afternoon, a nice change considering the tram hasn't been open the past 2 days due to the avalanche danger and patrol trying to get liberty to slide

so may try to get up to Big Sky the week of the 15th. They are offering free skiing for epic pass holders if you get lodging from them. I could stay at the Whitewater if we can bring 3 couples for 3 nights for 220 per couple then ski free. I've got a hut trip planned that week down here, but I could probably walk to the hut in my sneakers, thus not stoked.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    so may try to get up to Big Sky the week of the 15th. They are offering free skiing for epic pass holders if you get lodging from them. I could stay at the Whitewater if we can bring 3 couples for 3 nights for 220 per couple then ski free. I've got a hut trip planned that week down here, but I could probably walk to the hut in my sneakers, thus not stoked.
    Do it. Though be warned, the Whitewater is a kind of a dump that overcharges for a busted-ass, clapped out shell of a hotel. To be fair, I did stay in it over New Year's Eve two years ago for a buddy's wedding. Who gets married on New Year's Day?

I've stayed at the White Water a few times when it was the comfort inn...that water slide is great when you're hammered.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

ya gotta be kidding me... this fucking sucks: http://www.powdermag.com/latest-news...medium=twitter

why does that suck? more money for your local economy
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Got down to Moonlight today and man was I stoked. Not only were the groomers of Lone Tree absolutey perfect and empty, the skiing right off Lone Tree were some of the most beautiful steep chalk lanes I have ever skied. You could totally avoid the rocks and take that shit like a GS course, couldn't get bored or tired, it was so smooth and consistant. Thank you to whoever carves in those perfect chalk lanes near the lift, I was very happy with your fine work.

If any Bridger peeps are desperate and depressed, go to Moonlight, you will not be dissapointed. Didn't get warm down there at all today except maybe a little near the very bottom. Thanks again Bunion, I more than got my money's worth.