Page 380 of 884 FirstFirst ... 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 ... LastLast
Results 9,476 to 9,500 of 22084
    Will be skiing Saturday with friends from Maine. Shes still a strong skier he is a Blue/green kinda guy. We will be mostly groomer skiing.

Weird day yesterday, freezing drizzle to 9600' and poor visibility. Good snow.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    Talisman, what time are you getting rolling?
    I should be around the base at 10:00 AM or so. Hopefully visibility will be better today as the drizzle frozen to google lenses was tough to see through.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    I was talking with a buddy of mine about skiing steep terrain and he was throwing out numbers like "50 degree incline." I was curious if there were any scientific, measured slopes of any of the named lines in the Big Sky headwaters area. I honestly don't have much of an internal inclinometer in me. I figure if it feels steep, it's going to be between 40-45 degrees. Not sure if I've skied anything steeper than that, at least for any real distance.
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Two things that skiers are notorious for bullshitting about: the steepness of lines they've skied, and how much human powered vertical they ski in a given day.

To get an accurate impression, subtract 10 degrees from the former, and multiply the latter claim by 0.6.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    I was talking with a buddy of mine about skiing steep terrain and he was throwing out numbers like "50 degree incline." I was curious if there were any scientific, measured slopes of any of the named lines in the Big Sky headwaters area. I honestly don't have much of an internal inclinometer in me. I figure if it feels steep, it's going to be between 40-45 degrees. Not sure if I've skied anything steeper than that, at least for any real distance.
    Ski patrol has a book they reference when doing avalanche control work that includes degree angles for all the steeper stuff at Big Sky, both named runs and informally named lines that aren't on the trail map but could slide onto other runs. I've looked through it, it's pretty interesting. I assume they actually measured the slopes since they are using the information when making decisions about snow safety.

As I recall, in the Headwaters, most runs are in the 42-45 degree range, and some of the rollover/constrictions probably tip the scale at maybe 47-48 degrees, maybe up to almost 50 in Jack Creek? The top of the Big Couloir is supposedly almost 50 degrees (if you drop directly off the cornice), then the slope kicks back to about 45-47 through the upper half, then the bottom half is around 43-45. Supposedly the steepest named run on the trail map is Castro's, which through the rollover is about 50+ degrees, I think.

These are kind of guesses because it's been years since I looked at that book. If anybody knows the real numbers, I'd be curious to hear how far off I am.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Ski patrol has a book they reference when doing avalanche control work that includes degree angles for all the steeper stuff at Big Sky, both named runs and informally named lines that aren't on the trail map but could slide onto other runs. I've looked through it, it's pretty interesting. I assume they actually measured the slopes since they are using the information when making decisions about snow safety.

As I recall, in the Headwaters, most runs are in the 42-45 degree range, and some of the rollover/constrictions probably tip the scale at maybe 47-48 degrees, maybe up to almost 50 in Jack Creek? The top of the Big Couloir is supposedly almost 50 degrees (if you drop directly off the cornice), then the slope kicks back to about 45-47 through the upper half, then the bottom half is around 43-45. Supposedly the steepest named run on the trail map is Castro's, which through the rollover is about 50+ degrees, I think.

These are kind of guesses because it's been years since I looked at that book. If anybody knows the real numbers, I'd be curious to hear how far off I am.
    Start zones angles
    Couloir is 47-50
    38-44 around Lenin/Castros area and Dictators
    Jack Rock 38-50
    3 Forks 44-54

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Regct do you know if those are measurement of the snow surface or the rock underneath?

I think most would agree that slope angles change as the depth of snow changes.

FWIW the steepest thing I think ever skied at Big Sky was the rollover from Castro's Face, that was when the tram opened in 95/96 and everything was fully covered. That or what is now called Donkey Slot (formerly Duck Shot) in the late spring of I think was 96/97 when we stayed open weekends until Memorial day and it was fully filled in.

I have never felt the need to try the Little Cooler.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02181.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	312157
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

^^Yah that's the pitch that is supposed to tip 50 degrees on Castro's, although I've never seen those rocks you point to fully covered, and usually I ski it slightly looker's left of the arrow. It does seem steep to me, but I personally feel like the Jack Creek constriction feels steeper. Could be other variables at play, i.e. the slope below that Castro's pitch opens up and for me that lessens the perceived exposure/angle, whereas in Jack Creek I was on firm snow with more slide-for-life potential and that may have heightened my perception of the angle/exposure. But to me that one spot in Jack seems like the steepest angle I've skied on Lone Peak. (And I have no intention of doing the Little either at this point in my life, although I would really like to stand at the top and look down it on a good year and then make the decision.)

I have yet to ski the Gum Wall--Trident and Orbit are on the list for this year if conditions are favorable. To me Trident looks pretty steep, I'd be curious to know what the angle is.

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Regct do you know if those are measurement of the snow surface or the rock underneath?

I think most would agree that slope angles change as the depth of snow changes.

FWIW the steepest thing I think ever skied at Big Sky was the rollover from Castro's Face, that was when the tram opened in 95/96 and everything was fully covered. That or what is now called Donkey Slot (formerly Duck Shot) in the late spring of I think was 96/97 when we stayed open weekends until Memorial day and it was fully filled in.

I have never felt the need to try the Little Cooler.

Name:	DSC02181.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	312157
    Bunion thats a good question. I’ll ask someone.

Not sure what the little couloir is but its definitely the steepest slope I’ve ever skied and I haven’t skied any other line on lone mountain that feels like it even comes close.

EDIT: Little is ~50 degrees

Lenin Roller itself is really steep. Not sure of that slope angle.

Gum wall ranges from ~36-46 degrees. my fav zone on the mtn. Not that anyone cares

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    Start zones angles
    Couloir is 47-50
    Every time I look up at the Couloir I think of Bunion and two other patrolers climbing up in winter.

In other news the snow predicted to start this afternoon has arrived. Update from Harry at 6:00 AM tomorrow....

EDIT: Little is ~50 degrees with a high consequence exposure combined with usually shitty snow and often some rocky 1st few turns
    FIFY

I personally feel like the Jack Creek constriction feels steeper.
    yeah that 2-3 turns you must make to get through makes it especially attention grabbing.

^pretty shitty!

Also, “turns”.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Awesome day shredding with maggots. We ran a train on HW. 3 fantastic hikes. 4th class > Whitetail, Jack>Rock, 3 forks. Nice little Friday.

Edit to add: NSSF slid HUUUUGE today. Crown looked 15'+ from six shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Awesome day shredding with maggots. We ran a train on HW. 3 fantastic hikes. 4th class > Whitetail, Jack>Rock, 3 forks. Nice little Friday.

Edit to add: NSSF slid HUUUUGE today. Crown looked 15'+ from six shooter.
    Word. Post pics of the day if you have them. And avy pron, too.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Tough day for pics. Got one decent one of Brutah above the traverse in lower 4th class.

Name:	20200124_193237.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	312216

Hard to see but this is the crown from six shooter.

Name:	20200124_192843.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	950.9 KB 
ID:	312217

Didn't get any good ones of Luke (I think that's his name?!....sorry i'm permafried) because he was just ripping too fucking hard.

^^Fuuuckk. Looks like we won't be skiing the snowfield anytime soon..

Woah! That crown is Yuuudge!

Hooooly shit that crown is monstrous. 🤯

WRG, sounds like a great time with fast skiers! Thanks for sharing

Man... someone should bring a good camera up there tomorrow if the sunny fx comes through. I can't recall having seen pictures of anything that big on the NSS. I'm sure it's happened but dayum, very impressive.

What's a reliable shop around Bozeman that won't mess up a mount?
    Last edited by NessThinMint; 01-27-2020 at 11:24 AM.

I have had great luck with the Gear Wizard himself. However, I know he hires some college kids.

Chalet sports and PhD Skis are the same deal, but seem to have better employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    In other news the snow predicted to start this afternoon has arrived. Update from Harry at 6:00 AM tomorrow....
    6am driveway report: 1/64 inch of sloppy wet fresh, temp +28F, gusty winds

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    6am driveway report: 1/64 inch of sloppy wet fresh, temp +28F, gusty winds
    Very low stoke factor in this report. A pillowy inch of snow fell at the top of Andesite last night come get some! The Snow Bar opens tonight so pay down your credit card balances and party. Music, beer and snowbunnies.

That's a big one alright. I have a photo somewhere of me standing under a similar crown in the nearly the same spot from around 05/06. I am 6' and am holding a ski pole as high as possible and don't reach the top. That looks bigger.

I gotta wonder if Banannaman managed to trigger that one?

Dayumm.