Page 355 of 891 FirstFirst ... 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,875 of 22273
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Or maybe an octagon in red that says -'STOP'
    What about a chartreuse nonagon that says "POT"? Would that encourage, discourage, or confuse?

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    What about a chartreuse nonagon that says "POT"? Would that encourage, discourage, or confuse?
    Yes

In my view, the triple black diamond comes off as just an arbitrary rating, unless the hill specifically creates a marketing campaign to address the meaning. Have they?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Are you kidding? That would mean developing an actual plan and shit.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    marketing campaign
    BINGO !

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    In my view, the triple black diamond comes off as just an arbitrary rating, unless the hill specifically creates a marketing campaign to address the meaning. Have they?
    The trail map labels single-diamond trails "Most Difficult Run", double-diamond "Expert Terrain", and triple-diamond "High Exposure."

As much as it's a bit jankety in some regards, I do think that identifying high-exposure areas on the trail map (and on trail signs) is a good idea. Whether or not this particular method will be effective in reducing incidents, I have no idea.

Plus, they've finally caught up with Smuggler's Notch in difficulty.

^^^ I have not asked but I am pretty certain this was developed in good intent in an effort to reduce the number of Jerry's cliff-ed out or destroyed.

It was also probably seized upon as a "look at the gnar" by Marketing.

Few if any of these lines have signage or the room to put up any further warnings and besides that all you end up with people taking selfies by those signs or not bothering to read the fucking things.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    ^^^ I have not asked but I am pretty certain this was developed in good intent in an effort to reduce the number of Jerry's cliff-ed out or destroyed.
    Did they consider it having the exact opposite effect, though? Jerry isn't known for accurately estimating his skiing ability.

I think it more of a matter of, "we need to do something".

WRG has been pretty vocal that they need some sort of human interaction at the Headwaters hike. Given that the majority of the 3x diamonds are concentrated in special access terrain or Headwaters, maybe they should put a patroller in a heated booth at the start of the hike to answer questions and maybe put a big sign with lots of terrifying warnings there. The patroller can take their picture by it and then send them to appropriate terrain.

Or they could just require a beacon and other rescue gear as a weed out.

10-14 day forecast looks favorable for colder temps and snow.

Opener on Turkey day looks juicy. I am headed to BB on Friday for a Snow & Avi workshop with the local ski areas. I will pick some brains made mushy by refresher and get some 1st hand opinions. Right now I would guess that we will see Swifty/Bowl/explorer & Challenger along with a bunch of lower mountain.

Attachment 303156
    "Burn One with Bodie" would be great marketing schpeel for your smokeshack touring business Harry!
    I expect a cut of the cheese based on my consulting work coming up with this fantastic marketing plan!

If I come up there for a smokeshack tour with Harry, the Mayor of BigSky
    And don't get to "Burn One with Bodie"
    I will be bummed....
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

https://www.allstickerprinting.com/s...SAAEgIN5vD_BwE

The SWMT contingent needs to get on this. Anyone have any graphics skilz, put em to work and post here.

I will put up some $$$ to help underwrite the endeavor.

Bad intel Harry.

Gold Pass parking is A through about F.
    Was not intel, it was my own eyes.

When I took that pic only A row had the sign. Today I looked again and I now see a sign on F. Also they had a forklift moving a little guard shack into place. Typical Boyne, they made the announcement last March, and then waited until just a few days before opening to put up the signs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1574874497.720034.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	303931

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Nice bar of gold.

Needs a little "Dairygold" sticker across the top

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Nice bar of gold.

Needs a little "Dairygold" sticker across the top
    How about this sticker ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1574875282.602455.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	303933

From Big Sky today: "On November 28, we will open 600 acres & 5 major lifts:
    Swift Current
    Ramcharger 8
    Explorer
    Powder Seeker
    Challenger "

^^^ Decisions decisions.

I’ll be there for some lazy laps with the wife tomorrow then back at Bridger for the rest of the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Anybody know what's going on with the mountain mall? Is it completely closed still? Is there anywhere to sit down and eat a brown bag lunch?
    I walked in there today, got yelled at immediately for no hard hat. Place is a shitshow. Workers are under a lot of pressure, and tempers are high.

Everything has new names. The former Mountain Mall is now called “The Exchange”. The upstairs cafeteria, where Yeahman liked to brown bag, is now called “Vista Hall”. And the former Hummers is now called “Westward Social”.

WTF? Bernie died years ago but why not keep Hummers as the institution it was.

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Same reason Schmitty’s Couloir is now named the Big Coulior.

Remember when they tried to rename Marx and Lenin “Thunder” and “Lightning” ?

I always liked that Sue D. had that big sign about why it was named Schmitty’s. A huge FU to Boyne right in the Mountain Mall.

Not to correct the Mayor but.

The Patrol fucking hated the name Schmitty's Coulior and always called it the Big Cooler. Don't know if you have ever interacted with Yunce but that came from him (a true real deal Big Sky Legend), ride a chair with him some time, he is an awesome guy and has been patrolling on Lone Mountain since the late 70s

The Thunder and Lightning things came from the same marketing hack who named Dude Park. She didn't realize that Sam Wilson had named them Lenin and Marx as an acronym or whatever for Lone Mountain.

When we opened the tram in 95 we went on a naming jag and came up with the Dictators and Castros the Wave etc.

Those were not trail names they were avalanche path names and somehow those managed to stick although that wench was not happy about it. Glennis

Marketing Depts. always manage to fuck that shit up. When I was at MLB the Marketing dept changed the name of what is now Headwaters. It used to be Nashville Basin (don't ask me why Nashville and not Memphis) and had an Elvis theme, Nashville Bowl, 1/2 Graceland, 1st Graceland, 2nd Graceland and the Elvis Chutes. As MLB wanted to separate the area from the Really big the new names made some sense and eventually they stuck.

Later on when we opened it we had named a whole bunch of new shit off the North Summit, a few years later a marketing guy came in and changed a bunch of them including one he labeled Peak Flow. When we were done laughing we just went right on calling them what we always did.

The way the names were developed would be another book in its own right.

The way the names were developed would be another book in its own right.
    Sounds like a good way to fund your retirement in Costa Rica.

Next time I see Yunce I will bring up Schmitty’s and see what his reaction is. Should I put on brass underpants first ?

Speaking of South Face Sam, Saw him yesterday. He is working at the Country Market these days.

Here's some stoke from last season to getcha ready for opening weekend.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I gotta say the Headwaters theme is way better than the Nashville names IMO. At least it makes a grain of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnar_Shralp406 View Post
    Here's some stoke from last season to getcha ready for opening weekend.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Nice