Page 165 of 890 FirstFirst ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 22244
    You just have to be resourceful about it but there is plenty of good skiing to go around in the two areas. Pick your battles, what's best for you and all that. Take things in stride when it does get crowded and just enjoy the quality over quantity in the moment.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

^Yep. When it was crowded that's when I started picking off lines in the A-Z that required a hike or hunting the trees. Once the crowds died it was time for mass vert.

Good skiing at fairy lake past two days, north facing shots into Frazier were good today. Even the meadows were skiing good and fat

Quote Originally Posted by Ted26 View Post
    Good skiing at fairy lake past two days, north facing shots into Frazier were good today. Even the meadows were skiing good and fat
    Awesome!! Maybe I'll try to sneak out before it all melts later this week
    It sucks to suck.

^ ^Phuck yeah!

WOW!

Word. I can't remember a solid shot like that coming any earlier... 1st/2nd week of October, sure. Lucky dogs, ski it while it's good and the road is open!

It snowed like 9 days straight it seemed like? I've never seen anything like it at this time. It's just crazy. Great looking snow I'm glad it's being shredded. Maybe corntember is next?
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Maybe on a storm day with bad viz/flat light you can get that, but not on a bluebird pow day, not even midweek in April. I don't mean to be critical I just don't want people to be disappointed.

I did however get a bronze pass this year because of the times I hear people raving about no speed limit chalky wind buff walk on tram laps. Usually it always seems to coincide with shitfuck skiing at Bridger so looking forward to that option. Those are my favorite days skiing overall, when conditions are smooth and consistent all over all day with no prerequisite shit show.
    Its hard to explain to someone who has never experienced those conditions, how good it can be. And its usually really windy and Swiftcurrent is on wind hold so you have the upper mountain all to yourself.

As far as roads being impassable I don't think that would be an impediment to getting out right now, not at all. No way you would be skinning 10 to 15 miles to get into the T roots, those roads are way too low to be blocked by snow right now so go for it. You could park at the end of the road and be 3 miles from turns.
    Some folks forget it is Bow season for elk. Ain't no impassable roads right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Its hard to explain to someone who has never experienced those conditions, how good it can be. And its usually really windy and Swiftcurrent is on wind hold so you have the upper mountain all to yourself.
    Some of my favorite days and memories on that mountain.

One of the wildest weeks of pre-season skiing i've ever had! The amount of snow is insane up there for September. Yesterday was also super gorgeous with the clouds and sun.

"Totally Wicked"

Well shit, maybe I will finally be lucky enough to score the elusive empty tram pow laps this year with the Bronze Pass. Can't say I'm not lookin forward to it, bring it on.

I wonder how often there is this much skiable snow in September? These statistical things interest me. Is this a 25, 50, 100 yr event? Bunion have you ever seen this much snow pile up and be skiable for several days this early before?

Well shit, maybe I will finally be lucky enough to score the elusive empty tram pow laps this year with the Bronze Pass. Can't say I'm not lookin forward to it, bring it on.

I wonder how often there is this much skiable snow in September? These statistical things interest me. Is this a 25, 50, 100 yr event? Bunion have you ever seen this much snow pile up and be skiable for several days this early before?
    I seem to remember either 2007/8 or 2008/9 having a pretty early start. Maybe not quite this early though?

Doesn't seem to much precedent evident on the snotel sites. I can't really find a comparable year for the Lone Mountain or Fisher Creek snotels for this September, which have data going back to the late 80s and late 70s respectively. Almost 4in SWE at the Fisher Creek snotel right now, which doesn't appear to have a precedent during the last 40 years. Also can't really find a September with 5in of precip in a ~10 day window. Would also be curious what long time residents think

Not in September, but October of 1995 saw 100" on the snow plot at Lobo.

Not in September, but October of 1995 saw 100" on the snow plot at Lobo.
    I remember that year. My house in Missoula had 2 maple trees still full of leaves and all that wet heavy snow kept falling and they both cracked in half. Not just me, the city had to set up collection system for all the downed trees across the city. The collection point was the old White Pine Sash mill.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I remember that year. My house in Missoula had 2 maple trees still full of leaves and all that wet heavy snow kept falling and they both cracked in half. Not just me, the city had to set up collection system for all the downed trees across the city. The collection point was the old White Pine Sash mill.
    I was living in Missoula then too. I recall we skied the west face of Mt. Sentinel that winter, top to bottom. Only time I ever did that in 14 years living there.

Today's view of the mountain. Yesterday morning there was 2 feet at the base of the tram. Then it warmed up so I assume a lot melted. Still beautiful.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Its going to get cold next week.

The GFS precipitation models show small storms dropping another 2 feet of snow up high, through mid-October.

Edit: i hope it doesnt rain up top saturday!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Betelgeuse; 09-29-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Heli brought down that excavator today that was at the top of Liberty Bowl. Bob Dixon was present for safety at the lower LZ.

Most of the snow has melted off RLM, but it's hanging on at elevation (and the pass is open again):

It did get pretty bony at the bottom of Chute 1 and I bailed shortly after those turns (getting dark, big rocks, questionable snow stability, etc.), but not bad for after-work turns in September.

Snow flurries all day today, but temps in the low 40's so it is not sticking. In a brief break in the clouds I snapped this pic.

Enjoy the updated views of Lone Peak, Harry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0032.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	570.7 KB 
ID:	213106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0033.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	503.5 KB 
ID:	213107

From 2 different Jobs sites at that Gazillionaires ski area just south of the really Big.

...........I am NOT a carpenter. I am weak and sissified.
    you're a dentist?
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson