Page 164 of 891 FirstFirst ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 22273
    Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    I got an email that big Sky is extending season by 1 week. Montana pass now has 2 weeks of free skiing. Seems odd, given how few are there 2ND week in April, but I'm not complaining.
    Actually it's three weeks of free skiing now--the first week and the last two weeks. Plus one free day during the season. Pretty good deal for $149. Gotta purchase by Sept. 30 though.

Direct-to-Lift November 27 through December 3, 2017, and April 9 through 22, 2018. (That includes Pond Skim!)
    Passholders also receive a non-transferable lift ticket to ski any date of choice excluding dates between December 23, 2017 - January 1, 2018, and February 16 - 25, 2018.
    Montana Passholders save $10 off all day window rate lift tickets.
    Passholders take 50% off winter Zipline tours.
    Exclusive lodging discounts available, some restrictions apply. Contact Big Sky Central Reservations for details at (800) 548-4486.

Shit I need to not forgot this year and snatch one up. Got spoiled with the old $79 frequency cards. I better go order my bridger pass as well. Funny how after last year's pass pickup line issues they are finally mailing(or at least what I heard, haven't looked).

Nothing whatsoever to do with Montana.

Just B-cause. (Video)
    Last edited by Not bunion; 09-21-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Does bridger bowl have the lightest powder on earth? I have heard that rumor, and I saw it again today on an unofficial network post.
    Seems unlikely "on Earth", but maybe in western USA.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Actually it's three weeks of free skiing now--the first week and the last two weeks. Plus one free day during the season. Pretty good deal for $149. Gotta purchase by Sept. 30 though.
    I would call the last week in Nov at Big Sky survival not skiing :-) Regardless, best deal of any pass out there.

Yup. Can be pow and zero people there. Mmmm, empty pow filled tram laps.
    This is pure fantasy, even in April. If there is fresh snow plan on 40 minute tram lines, minimum. Probably longer on average this year with all the pass options.

Speaking of April, this weather is unlike any September I have ever seen in my 15 yrs here. The mountains are getting hammered relentlessly with 6-10 more inches easily in the next 24 hrs. There is more snow at Big Sky now than opening week most years! Stick a fork in the bike park season that's for sure!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    This is pure fantasy, even in April. If there is fresh snow plan on 40 minute tram lines, minimum. Probably longer on average this year with all the pass options.

Speaking of April, this weather is unlike any September I have ever seen in my 15 yrs here. The mountains are getting hammered relentlessly with 6-10 more inches easily in the next 24 hrs. There is more snow at Big Sky now than opening week most years! Stick a fork in the bike park season that's for sure!
    Bummer, times have changed then. I remember ski on pow laps in April. It's been a while since I've been down there though. Guy can dream can't he?

I would call the last week in Nov at Big Sky survival not skiing :-)
    Come on man, last year everybody got to lap the lower half of Mr. K!

But seriously, I think it was 2011 or 2012 when we had mid-winter coverage for the opening week. It was amazing, especially for free skiing. So you just never know.

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

this weather is unlike any September I have ever seen in my 15 yrs here. The mountains are getting hammered relentlessly with 6-10 more inches easily in the next 24 hrs. There is more snow at Big Sky now than opening week most years! Stick a fork in the bike park season that's for sure!
    Do you think all of this will stick up high?

Early October looks like it will be fairly active as well. Let us hope

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Nothing whatsoever to do with Montana.

Just B-cause.
    NICE!

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Come on man, last year everybody got to lap the lower half of Mr. K!

But seriously, I think it was 2011 or 2012 when we had mid-winter coverage for the opening week. It was amazing, especially for free skiing. So you just never know.
    There were a lot of years in the 90s that the bowl and Challenger was open for free skiing week. One year the tram was open. It should not have been opened.

Most would hope that it all goes away before the accumulations start in earnest. Thin, way-early-season pack makes rotten layers at depth.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    There were a lot of years in the 90s that the bowl and Challenger was open for free skiing week. One year the tram was open. It should not have been opened.
    I beg to differ. We opened what we felt was skiable without harvesting too many people. I have always liked that about Big Sky, if the patrol feels it is safe enough for those who are aware of what they are getting into to navigate and get some turns, open it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Most would hope that it all goes away before the accumulations start in earnest. Thin, way-early-season pack makes rotten layers at depth.
    Yep.

Not sure what WX sites you are looking at Keaton but what I see is a return to Indian Summer by mid-next week.

Probably in N facing gullies where it drifts in and doesn't get too much sun in the months to come.

As Norseman alluded to, this will be important to keep track of and potentially avoid.

But alas the dance has started in some form, cut in at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    I beg to differ. We opened what we felt was skiable without harvesting too many people. I have always liked that about Big Sky, if the patrol feels it is safe enough for those who are aware of what they are getting into to navigate and get some turns, open it up.
    I don't care as it's been a loooong time, but it was a rock strike every turn. There was some questionable openings of Challenger too, but in that case I didn't care and still skied it. I'm not picky about my skis getting hit, either, I just wanna link turns.

Extended forecast looks really good, northwest flow baby all year, drying up in the spring time. Long range models ya know but shit I'm kinda excited.

Hopefully it all melts out or it doesn't stop coming. Anyone been out yet? Any reports from flmr? Heard there is a decent amount of snow up there. Wonder what avy conditions will be like after more snow and wind.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by snowcatCO View Post
    Any reports from flmr? Heard there is a decent amount of snow up there. Wonder what avy conditions will be like after more snow and wind.

Came close to losing my ass up there one time, way early season in the windblown gullies on the north face of SuckCockawea... triggered a hard slab and barely skied off it.. would be the suck to get blown up in the big scree... careful, kids!

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Came close to losing my ass up there one time, way early season in the windblown gullies on the north face of SuckCockawea... triggered a hard slab and barely skied off it.. would be the suck to get blown up in the big scree... careful, kids!
    Yeah as much as I wanna make turns this is what I worry about. Not that I haven't had good days in the early season up there, I expect it to be quite the shit show this weekend though

I would call the last week in Nov at Big Sky survival not skiing :-) Regardless, best deal of any pass out there.
    Generally, BUT there has been those years when the first week was going off.

2012 SW Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Extended forecast looks really good, northwest flow baby all year, drying up in the spring time. Long range models ya know but shit I'm kinda excited.

Hopefully it all melts out or it doesn't stop coming.

NOAAs 3 month precipitation outlook has a big "A" for above average right on top of SW Montana. That wasn't the case when I checked a few days ago. They just changed it to that. Temperatures just slightly above average are called for, nothing too warm I hope.

edit:GFS is all over the place. who knows

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 09-23-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Yeah as much as I wanna make turns this is what I worry about. Not that I haven't had good days in the early season up there, I expect it to be quite the shit show this weekend though

Hopefully that means a deep resort season and then a consistent corn season in the spring.

Holy shit where was this in the TRoots? I wonder how much effort they put in to get there, feels like it would be a solid 10 or 15 miles of skinning if the roads are impassable after towns.

I lucked out this year with great storm riding and and no tram lines a couple days after xmas this past year. Hadn't been there in 13 years and was pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my SM-G920P using TGR Forums mobile app

Maybe on a storm day with bad viz/flat light you can get that, but not on a bluebird pow day, not even midweek in April. I don't mean to be critical I just don't want people to be disappointed.

I did however get a bronze pass this year because of the times I hear people raving about no speed limit chalky wind buff walk on tram laps. Usually it always seems to coincide with shitfuck skiing at Bridger so looking forward to that option. Those are my favorite days skiing overall, when conditions are smooth and consistent all over all day with no prerequisite shit show.

As far as roads being impassable I don't think that would be an impediment to getting out right now, not at all. No way you would be skinning 10 to 15 miles to get into the T roots, those roads are way too low to be blocked by snow right now so go for it. You could park at the end of the road and be 3 miles from turns. I am just not feeling it right now myself... I am still in withdrawl from all the fun I was having biking and a couple dozen windfucked turns are not going to do much for me right now, have fun haha.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

It shouldnt be anything like Jackson though, where it gets tracked out in bounds within 3 hours.