Page 574 of 891 FirstFirst ... 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 ... LastLast
Results 14,326 to 14,350 of 22274

Thread: 2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

So supposedly next season is the last season for the current tram, and they are then upgrading to a single tram that holds 60 people? Anybody got any details? This is just rumor because I really can't find anything on their website about it. Just some BS about future "Tram Experience Upgrades."

Sure would help to know what a Tram Access pack will cost while weighing these pass options. People are complaining about that on social media. Also found this take online, which mentions that a lot of Ikon and MC holders will probably book a trip without even realizing this. Buyer beware, but as the article says, this is pretty unprecedented. You can only hope this will prevent some of these people from coming to Big Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    So supposedly next season is the last season for the current tram, and they are then upgrading to a single tram that holds 60 people? Anybody got any details? This is just rumor because I really can't find anything on their website about it. Just some BS about future "Tram Experience Upgrades."
    I would settle for a Poma or T-bar up the Liberty Bowl versus a flying subway car at $20-$80+ a day extra. A larger capacity tram car is no guarantee of a shorter lift line if you consider the JHMR tram dock mayhem. Some of the current real estate development at Moonlight seems to already be pressuring lift capacity on Six Shooter and with the Montage opening in September high-roller expectations will be increased for the Lewis & Clark lift, Southern Comfort and the main base lifts.

Lot of parts to keep track of.

RE: Tram upgrade and what that entails.

1. Service road up to the Summit via Liberty Bowl AKA a Cat Track. To do the work required to the top terminal to support a single 60 passenger cabin will mean extensive work on the top terminal. That work will require something besides a mini-excavator. Hence the service road.

2. Top Terminal itself: When we built the original top we excavated into the rock up there and it is freaking hard stuff evidenced by the fact that everything else has eroded away over eons leaving that sharp fang. During construction we were told that the terminal we were building would only support the configuration we working on so I would imagine that there will need to be a helluva lot more concrete to help hold a larger cabin, guest load and cable as well as the cable tension.

A tram upgrade is possible but IMHO a low priority considering all the lower mountain improvements that are needed just to get to the damn thing.

I would settle for a Poma or T-bar up the Liberty Bowl versus a flying subway car at $20-$80+ a day extra. A larger capacity tram car is no guarantee of a shorter lift line if you consider the JHMR tram dock mayhem. Some of the current real estate development at Moonlight seems to already be pressuring lift capacity on Six Shooter and with the Montage opening in September high-roller expectations will be increased for the Lewis & Clark lift, Southern Comfort and the main base lifts.
    X 10.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Looks like Whitefish is going to install a 6 pack from the base lodge up to a somewhat vague location on Inspiration Ridge. Sounds like installation is (maybe) scheduled for summer of 2022.

A lift out of the base lodge is much needed, as is a chair that will take some pressure off chair 1. Also sounds like this chair will open at 9 (instead of 9:30 for chair 1, which is kinda bullshit). So in that regard, this lift is very welcome. But in typical Whitefish fashion, the lift is getting installed in a somewhat stupid location that doesn't really get people where they want to go. Certainly better than nothing though.

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Who knows if they got this right, but skimag is claiming $80/day

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1617888475.556490.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	601.5 KB 
ID:	370857

More tram rumors, when I was up there in Feb got to talking with a local guy (the ops let him slyly cut two boxes so this is an educated assumption) in the tram line who said the base of the new tram is going to be somewhere down near the base of powder seeker. At the location of the current base station there would be a dogleg up to the peak... who the hell knows.

Honestly it seems like charging extra for the tram is more of a money grab than for crowd control, especially if that figure in the IG post is accurate. At least there’s still free parking, for now.

The current bottom terminal is a big part of the problem. It is on a rock glacier and is moving downhill and twisting a bit, if you look while standing on the stairs, look into the docking area and you can see the water line where melt water pools up now because the grade is no longer level. If you look at where the haul rope enters the structure above the stairs they had to cut some concrete out to keep the rope from rubbing and add a cobbed on guide sheave as well.

That bottom terminal site will be abandoned.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

The JH tram had an add-on price from about 1966 thru 1994ish.
    $2 tram tickets plus your daily pass/tix.
    extra $2 for every lap. Only gold pass included this.

We'd actually like to bring it back, to dump some chincy fucks and shite skiers... $3 for M/c Holders and $37 for Ikonicals.

EoB - think that dude was pulling your leg as I don't see how to engineer a jigback tramway with a turn in it's line.

Rebuilding on top for a larger box means taking the anchoring factor to a new level. The top is the fixed point and big heavy cables wrapped around massive bollards to hold the weight and yet be flexible out online requires an incredibly stout top station.

The JH tram had an add-on price from about 1966 thru 1994ish.
    $2 tram tickets plus your daily pass/tix.
    extra $2 for every lap. Only gold pass included this.
    This is the part that doesn't quite pass the smell test.

Supposedly the goal is to increase the quality of the experience.

So a couple of things...

From what I gather you can link an account to your pass and if you choose to ski the tram you are charged when scanned whatever the day rate is for the tram for that day. When your pass is read you haven't bought a ride you have bought access for that day and the cost is the same whether you get in 20 laps or 2.

That cost is based on the day of the season as in, Presidents weekend would cost more than some weekday in late January.

And I think depending on the level of the pass you buy you may pay a different rate for tram access? IE the 2nd tier pass would pay less than the bottom tier pass.

Seems kind of complicated.

I haven't seen anything about different pass tiers being charged different rates for tram access.

But you are correct that there is no option to pay per ride, only per day.

Real curious to see how this works out and if it makes any noticeable difference.

Looking more and more like a money grab to cover the cost of tram upgrades.

I haven't seen anything about different pass tiers being charged different rates for tram access.

But you are correct that there is no option to pay per ride, only per day.

Real curious to see how this works out and if it makes any noticeable difference.

Looking more and more like a money grab to cover the cost of tram upgrades.
    I have no doubt that it will help the crowding around the margins. Speaking for myself, the times I've ridden the tram I would not have done so had I needed to pony up any significant amount of cash, and given I was skiing on a race coach ticket, I'm sure it would not have been included (heck, I'd not be shocked if a racer or coach ticket couldn't even get the upgrade, which would be a bummer).

More broadly, if you're choosing between a wait or skiing another lift and on the fence, I'd expect an $80 charge to push you right over the fence and onto another lift.

I have my doubts it'll help a whole lot if conditions are truly excellent up top, but that's kinda an inherent scarcity issue.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

60 on the low end... 60-80. base will be where the church is at the cross, next the triple double bubble, aka powder tweaker base station
    they already ordered the new tram, cant remember the name of the specific type, but one with only one car

Quote Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
    but one with only one car
    A one car jigback tram would be unusual as typically the second car is used as a counterbalance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
    60 on the low end... 60-80. base will be where the church is at the cross, next the triple double bubble, aka powder tweaker base station
    they already ordered the new tram, cant remember the name of the specific type, but one with only one car
    Color me skeptical.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2021-04-09 Montana Cadastral.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	553.7 KB 
ID:	370966

The price paid for Tram access will depend on the type of product purchased. Autocharge access is expected to range between $20-$80 per day and will be priced based on factors like holidays and busy periods, similar to lift tickets. Tram Access Packs are pre-purchased at a flat rate and can be used throughout the season. There will be no discounts for different age groups.
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 04-09-2021 at 05:57 AM.

^^I interpret "depending on the product purchased" to mean you may get a discount if you buy a Tram Access Pack rather than do the auto-charge at the gate. Could be wrong.

Yeah going right over the bowl and gullies will make for a different experience if that's the plan.

7 of new at Big Scree. Who's going?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gnar_Shralp406 View Post
    7 of new at Big Scree. Who's going?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I wish. I will be there for a couple days next week, hoping for the best. Enjoy!

Dang 7 of new sounds fun. Went sled skiing in the sapphires yesterday and had prob 3-4in of fresh on top of a hard crust. Good ol spring weather with sun, wind, snow, and whiteout.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

[takes huge bong rip]

That's cool, I am sure day tickets will be reduced proportionally by whatever the tram add-on will cost, right? RIGHT?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    [takes huge bong rip]

That's cool, I am sure day tickets will be reduced proportionally by whatever the tram add-on will cost, right? RIGHT?
    I know it's a pandemic and all, but can I please have a rip?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    [takes huge bong rip]

Was that from you or an imitation of the Boardroom meets that brought this idea about? Cause someone was higher than 7 hippies.

Headed to Big Sky for the week if anyone would want to do a bit of skiing yet.

Sent from my SM-G781V using TGR Forums mobile app

Dang I'm jealous. Have fun up there!

Quote Originally Posted by Leftyt View Post
    Headed to Big Sky for the week if anyone would want to do a bit of skiing yet.
    Conditions at Big Scree have been great and the lift queues are short. I would do some laps with you but work has me out of town till after the mountain closes.

They opened the North Snowfield today all reports were good.

Sent from my SM-G781V using TGR Forums mobile app

Is there any demand for reservations for closing weekend at Big Sky? I have 4/17-4/18 reserved, so I can't see if it's booked out or not (Dates appear grayed out). Most other weekends have been this season so I figured they are.
    My plans have changed and I won't be able to go, so if anyone can't get a reservation for these dates let me know and we'll coordinate a time for me to drop my booking so you can pick em up.

If reservations are plentiful via Ikon's site and this offer is pointless, ignore me