Page 739 of 892 FirstFirst ... 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 ... LastLast
Results 18,451 to 18,475 of 22279
    Remember what Tuco said - "Don't die until later!"

I watched a friend slip, slide, and tomahawk over a small cliff and down a mtn in AK. He flew out of sight, no reply, silence. Was absolutely terrified and was sure he was dead. He wasn’t and got out on his own two feet. Terrifying seeing that kinda stuff. Glad you’re not lying in a trauma center somewhere.

Damn bunion, that sucks. Good job keeping your wits about you and arresting your slide. The smooth chalk is fun to ski but a slide for life is always possible in the event of a freak fall on those steep slopes. Vibes man, hope to see you back out there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ODHGABFE View Post
    This north face south of the Sphinx is visible from town, actually a shorter mission than we thought. Still work though, just thought we’d be more scared of bears.

Forget about snow being normal or not, access is the issue for the west side of the Madison Range. Plenty of good skiing, not many places for the public to start from. It’s all worth it though. Springtime is your friend for snow, not for mud though. Oof.
    Good info. Yes, Montana in general seems to be criss-crossed with private land. Navigating that seems to be important.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Teton pass Montana. Ski arear. Open snow says 18" base. Thier website says 33"..

We should do a mini in late March.
    Ah.... duh. I knew there was a Teton Pass ski area in Montana (just learned that in the last year). Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by corn dog View Post
    I seem to recall a small amount of guesswork in terms of route, and then some back and forth between booting/skinning lower down, but not too bad.
    Copy

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Then I skied to my truck to call it a day. I called my Ortho and made an appointment for tomorrow, my right shoulder is a bit jacked and I may have dislocated/relocated during the fight, so I am probably on light ski days for a little while. It could have been much worse and my buddy said it was terrifying to watch.
    Damn. Hope you heal quickly.

It will snow this week now for sure. All you fuckers are welcome.
    We thank you for your sacrifice!

In all seriousness, hope you heal up fast.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Healing vibes sent for Bunion. Glad you are ok.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Thanks all, I have 2 300 mg Ibuprofen on board and and chilling out for the rest of the day. My right shoulder is going to be sore for a while. It has already had 2 low grade shoulder separations that have been giving me trouble for the past 10 years or more, maybe this will help it heal or at least get me an MRI to see whats up in that joint.
    Holy smokes buddy. I lurk in the Montana thread cause we live so close. Didn't expect to see this! Glad you had trained that move. Ouch! Heal up!

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

Fuck bunion I am so sorry man.

Here's hoping you heal up quickly and are back at it in no time!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    It's been about 10 years since I was last up there. I'd be happy to revisit with you if the timing works out this spring.
    Heck yeah! Pm coming.

Anyone else interested?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    it snowed on me both times I stood on the big G... in early August.
    Third time's a charm. C'mon over!

FYI If you ski steep chalky terrain, practice your self arrest technique.
    Dang dude, you seem to be a very intentional, controlled skier. Like others have said, glad this was not worse and hope you are feeling ok this morning.

Last year I saw a guy make one turn at the top of Lenin, lose his balance, fall, lose both skis, and slid the entire way down. At first he probably didn't think much of it as he didn't even try to arrest. But he quickly gathered speed and once he realized he wasn't stopping I could sense the panic. Just watching was scary. Fortunately when he came to rest near the bottom of the slope he was ok and just kind of laughed it off.

I haven't practiced self arrest in 20 years. We all love chargin' wind groomed chalk. That skiing is so fun. But I guess, if nothing else, it is a nice reminder that shit can happen to the best of us and to stay heads up.

Hang in there.

And yeah, the forecast this week looks dope!

Just back from the Ortho. X-rays negative, no FXs. ROM looked good to him although not without some pain. He thinks the rotator cuff is not damaged. He said begin light ROM exercises and work through the discomfort.

Should be good to go in a week or so.

Thx for all the positives.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by National Weather Service
    Thursday Night Snow likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a low around 26. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 15 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
    Friday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 29. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.
    Friday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a low around 12. West northwest wind 11 to 13 mph becoming northeast after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
    Saturday Snow. Cloudy, with a high near 15.
    Saturday Night Snow likely, mainly before 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around -7.
    Here we go! Coming in right side up too...

FYI If you ski steep chalky terrain, practice your self arrest technique.
    I dove a tip in Jack Creek last week and almost did a similar move. Am thankful to have learned how to stick myself into the mountain when needed. A skier never should lean into the hill, but if you must, make it count.

Well I’m real glad you’re not too broken, you’re too savvy to get taken out that way.

If you’re feeling better by tomorrow, we’re running a Chuganese again. Usually people crash at the bottom of Liberty not the top.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnvTR...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Holler at me if anyone wants in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

This might be interesting. Heading out to Olympia, WA tomorrow and then having to get back by Saturday night before the kitty starves. Kicking around the idea of throwing skis in the box in case we ski somewhere along the way, but part of me wants to high tail back Fri night and brave the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Here we go! Coming in right side up too...
    Hope so, last storm forecast for Showdown was a complete dud.

@Bunion - Harry texted me today to tell me about your adventure. Sorry man! Shoulders suck - I'm dealing with a torn rotator on the right side, and I haven't slept a full night since July. Hope you heal quickly and fully. Vibes to ya! I'll throw one back one your behalf when I see Harry on Friday!

Live to fight another day, my friend - us old guys don't bounce as well as we once did...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Anybody skiing big sky tomorrow?

I’m in best ski shape in probably 10 years (not unlimited but pretty good) and rolling solo Thurs before skiing w my boss Fri/sat around foot & ankle surgery conference.

I’m a big sky virgin and would love a little guidance. Got my beacon shovel probe for riding tram but not looking for a ton of hiking or crazy exposure.

Holler via text or PM or whatever. Three-oh-3 Seven-4-eight, 4337

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Anybody skiing big sky tomorrow?
    Maybe. I'm headed up this morning and haven't quite made it to tomorrow. If I do go, happy to show ya around.

Anyone else confused about the snow report at Big Sky? Mario is saying 6" overnight but if you look at the webcams it looks like an inch?

Wind was swirly all night, bavaria says deep. I'm going to head on down, maybe I'll see you there.

I have 2-3 inches in my driveway and the station on Andesite is showing 3 inches if that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    Anyone else confused about the snow report at Big Sky? Mario is saying 6" overnight but if you look at the webcams it looks like an inch?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I've had some amazing days where there wasn't even anything on the cams but the report seems weirdly high. I looked last night pretty late and it seemed to be coming down sideways.

Looking at the remote wx sites I think 5-7" sounds possible. Have fun.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Thanks team!

Wearing red today…

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Still seeing 28 inches not including the 9 from the last couple of days. Starting to seem more accurate.

I am going to try to go down there Thursday night and camp and ski Friday.

Not looking forward to the drive there or back if the conditions are what they say they are.

I need more time off.