Page 488 of 884 FirstFirst ... 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 ... LastLast
Results 12,176 to 12,200 of 22092
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I was bawls deep a couple times today chasing forest horses. Tracks and beds EVERYWHERE. Looks like we were a only an hour or two behind them. Way she goes. Beautiful day out there!

Can anyone give me the lowdown on the lincoln/copper creek area? What roads close in the winter and what is hikable without a sled. So many forest roads I don't want to get stuck on if they are a dead end and some pretty complex terrain. Feel free to pm if not trying to make public. Maybe even a gpx track if im lucky (or show me around)? This guy always tags it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGz09lgl..._web_copy_link

Lol yup
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MT.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	345102

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

^^Heh. That Instagram clip is our channel 12 weather guy Curtis. Gotta love a weather person who craves snowstorms and doesn't consider sunny warm days in the winter to be "nice" weather. I think the snowmobile map online will give you the lay of the land. Just head up there and start exploring. Also, posting on the Montana Backcountry Alliance group on Facebook might help you find partners.
    Last edited by yeahman; 10-27-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Can anyone give me the lowdown on the lincoln/copper creek area? What roads close in the winter and what is hikable without a sled. So many forest roads I don't want to get stuck on if they are a dead end and some pretty complex terrain. Feel free to pm if not trying to make public. Maybe even a gpx track if im lucky (or show me around)? This guy always tags it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGz09lgl..._web_copy_link
    Damn, that looks fun. Took a quick look at Onx and it looks like Copper Creek Road is open year-round, no mention of whether or not it's plowed. Looks like a pretty sweet area, though.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Damn, that looks fun. Took a quick look at Onx and it looks like Copper Creek Road is open year-round, no mention of whether or not it's plowed. Looks like a pretty sweet area, though.
    Oh really? I heard it's usually impassible other than early fall/late spring. Someone suggested stonewall via the road just north of town but that's some gnarly steep terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    To ski Stonewall in the winter, drive North Beaver Creek Road and park at the junction of where Parlin Park begins. From there, it's a simple skin up Stonewall Creek. The skiing is not on Stonewall Mountain, though, it's on the slopes to the west side of the drainage.

I don't think Copper Creek Road is plowed past Landers Fork, and maybe not even that far.

Oh really? I heard it's usually impassible other than early fall/late spring. Someone suggested stonewall via the road just north of town but that's some gnarly steep terrain.
    Just going by the open dates in the app, I've never been but it doesn't surprise me at all that it becomes impassable since it is just a Forest Service road to nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    To ski Stonewall in the winter, drive North Beaver Creek Road and park at the junction of where Parlin Park begins. From there, it's a simple skin up Stonewall Creek. The skiing is not on Stonewall Mountain, though, it's on the slopes to the west side of the drainage.

I don't think Copper Creek Road is plowed past Landers Fork, and maybe not even that far.
    Going to bookmark this and hopefully take a trip up that way this winter for a change of pace.

Yikes, that looks complex and fun. Definitely not something to do solo. I see a couple of giant slide paths. I should buy a sled. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    ^^Heh. That's our channel 12 weather guy Curtis. Gotta love a weather person who craves snowstorms and doesn't consider sunny warm days in the winter to be "nice" weather. I think the snowmobile map online will give you the lay of the land. Just head up there and start exploring. Also, posting on the Montana Backcountry Alliance group on Facebook might help you find partners.
    Agreed, Curtis is awesome. Good at what he does and a passionate skier.

Yikes, that looks complex and fun. Definitely not something to do solo. I see a couple of giant slide paths. I should buy a sled. Thanks for the help.
    Not complex at all IMO if you stay on the west side of the drainage. There's sort of an upper and a lower slope, and I don't think either were created by slides. Skiing the lower is a cinch, and the upper just has a short section where you have to scoot around a steeper slope but other than that it's not a big deal. Definitely do not need a sled if you park on Beaver Creek -- and I have never seen one in there anyway.

Not complex at all IMO if you stay on the west side of the drainage. There's sort of an upper and a lower slope, and I don't think either were created by slides. Skiing the lower is a cinch, and the upper just has a short section where you have to scoot around a steeper slope but other than that it's not a big deal. Definitely do not need a sled if you park on Beaver Creek -- and I have never seen one in there anyway.
    I'll delete these photos in a couple of hours. Are you talking about the green/yellow (I fucked up my colors between photos) area all the way in? I am pretty sure red and blue are slide paths.
    Last edited by toastybroski; 10-27-2020 at 09:43 AM.

Not saying those don't ever slide, they well may. But the vegetation community change looks due to moisture and grade differences, not created by slide paths. I haven't spent any time there, but looks like riparian and wetland habitat. Maybe that's not what you are basing your assessment on though.

Never been there either but the Blue outline certain looks like trim lines from slide activity, Red, not so much.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

That yellow/green section looks pretty great. Definitely a bit of a slog to get all the way back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Never been there either but the Blue outline certain looks like trim lines from slide activity, Red, not so much.
    Definitely has that look, might be a combination of slide activity and moisture regime creating the veg shift. Particularly on the eastern edge, west edge has an abrupt grade change. Now I'm curious to check it out sans snow.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Definitely has that look, might be a combination of slide activity and moisture regime creating the veg shift. Particularly on the eastern edge, west edge has an abrupt grade change. Now I'm curious to check it out sans snow.
    They both also have decent sized 35-45 degree slopes towards the top of the ridge which probably can go big in deep snow years.

They both also have decent sized 35-45 degree slopes towards the top of the ridge which probably can go big in deep snow years.
    Likely wind loading too, and runouts in stream corridors aren't unusual. I just don't think a lot of weight can be placed on the veg imagery as a predictor without a first hand look in this particular location. I'm sure someone on here has spent enough time there to chime in, it's a popular spot for locals..

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Likely wind loading too, and runouts in stream corridors aren't unusual. I just don't think a lot of weight can be placed on the veg imagery as a predictor without a first hand look in this particular location. I'm sure someone on here has spent enough time there to chime in, it's a popular spot for locals..
    It's a fun discussion at least. I am sure the snowpack is extremely touchy like colorado. This is only my third year in the backcountry so I enjoy annoying all of you with my thoughts.

I'll delete these photos in a couple of hours. Are you talking about the green/yellow (I fucked up my colors between photos) area all the way in? I am pretty sure red and blue are slide paths.

Attachment 345117Attachment 345118
    OK, thanks for refreshing my memory on that.

By Upper and Lower I was referring to what you have as inside the red and yellow/green circles.

I have never skied what you have cirlced in blue -- the blue zone was what I was referring to when I said you have to scoot around a steeper slope to get to the upper area.

It's been several years since I was there, but the last time I followed what you basically highlighted as a skin track I found a lot of downed timber in the areas roughly between your first and third switchback. Maybe it's changed since then? Or maybe I there when the snow level was low? Anyway, 95% of the skiing that gets done in Stonewall is in that red cirlced area. Ascend in the red circle and ski that, or traverse the blue zone to get to the yellow/green, then return the way you came -- don't ski out the red skin line.

As far as slide potential, I guess it could? Is the yellow 30, the red 35, and the purple 40? Not to say a slide won't happen, but in the pantheon of good places to ski, Stonewall ranks as one of the safer spots.

OK, thanks for refreshing my memory on that.

By Upper and Lower I was referring to what you have as inside the red and yellow/green circles.

I have never skied what you have cirlced in blue -- the blue zone was what I was referring to when I said you have to scoot around a steeper slope to get to the upper area.

It's been several years since I was there, but the last time I followed what you basically highlighted as a skin track I found a lot of downed timber in the areas roughly between your first and third switchback. Maybe it's changed since then? Or maybe I there when the snow level was low? Anyway, 95% of the skiing that gets done in Stonewall is in that red cirlced area. Ascend in the red circle and ski that, or traverse the blue zone to get to the yellow/green, then return the way you came -- don't ski out the red skin line.

As far as slide potential, I guess it could? Is the yellow 30, the red 35, and the purple 40? Not to say a slide won't happen, but in the pantheon of good places to ski, Stonewall ranks as one of the safer spots.
    Awesome info, that seems like a really good spot. The color scale is pretty close, yellow is 27-29, red is 35-45 and purple is 45+.

It's a fun discussion at least. I am sure the snowpack is extremely touchy like colorado. This is only my third year in the backcountry so I enjoy annoying all of you with my thoughts.
    I don't find it annoying, it's good discussion!

stonewall is where you want to go

Pics are gone but that general area can and does slide, occasionally bigly. I have skied back down the skintrack up the finger ridge more than once...
    Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton

From random gpx tracks found on the webs.