Page 681 of 892 FirstFirst ... 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 ... LastLast
Results 17,001 to 17,025 of 22280
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Wow. That's nuts. That road will be closed for a couple years minimum unless they throw everything at it. We have (less important) roads here in WA that haven't been rebuilt even 10 years later.
    I'd put money on it being open by middle of next year, likely sooner. I was living in Killington when Irene washed out a ton of stuff, including pretty much obliterating US Rt 4 between Killington and Rutland and Vermont 103 west of Bethel. Both of those were roads carved into a hillside above a river, where the flooding washed away serious chunks of roadway and the ground underneath it.

They had Rt 4 open in months, and I think 103 was open the next summer (maybe sooner, I was paying a lot more attention to 4 because the grocery store was on the other side of the washout from me).

The big question I see with respect to speed of rebuilding is how much they can streamline the permitting process. Vermont cut a lot of red tape to rebuild after Irene, plus I'm pretty sure there were a fair number of contractors who just didn't worry about permitting and got to work. The federal government isn't known for being flexible and acting quickly, though.

The other big factor in rebuilding time is money, but they're just going to have to throw enough money at the projects to make them happen, at least for major roadways.

I'm assuming the folks in Cooke are going to be following the Gardiner rebuild and the repairs on the northern portion of the loop road pretty closely.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Jesus. I'm no engineer but I'm guessing that's a multi year fix for the damaged roadway in Yankee Jim and down near Mammoth?

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I'd put money on it being open by middle of next year, likely sooner. I was living in Killington when Irene washed out a ton of stuff, including pretty much obliterating US Rt 4 between Killington and Rutland and Vermont 103 west of Bethel. Both of those were roads carved into a hillside above a river, where the flooding washed away serious chunks of roadway and the ground underneath it.

They had Rt 4 open in months, and I think 103 was open the next summer (maybe sooner, I was paying a lot more attention to 4 because the grocery store was on the other side of the washout from me).

The big question I see with respect to speed of rebuilding is how much they can streamline the permitting process. Vermont cut a lot of red tape to rebuild after Irene, plus I'm pretty sure there were a fair number of contractors who just didn't worry about permitting and got to work. The federal government isn't known for being flexible and acting quickly, though.

The other big factor in rebuilding time is money, but they're just going to have to throw enough money at the projects to make them happen, at least for major roadways.

I'm assuming the folks in Cooke are going to be following the Gardiner rebuild and the repairs on the northern portion of the loop road pretty closely.

It appears that the road is impassable from each wash out to the next so I imagine one will have to be shored up before they can get the next and so on. I like your optimism but one year sounds far-fetched.

Factor in that most of the large road contractors in the region have already filled their schedules for this summer, its hard as hell to find equipment operators, gravel is expensive and fuel is through the roof and there is no way this gets done in a year.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    It appears that the road is impassable from each wash out to the next so I imagine one will have to be shored up before they can get the next and so on. I like your optimism but one year sounds far-fetched.

They had that repaired in 18 days. That was multiple crews working together on crazy hours, but they got it done. Not sure if the video worked, but it's US Route 4 in Mendon, Vermont after Irene.

FYI 24 hr rain total in West was 2.81" H2o

Silvergate 2.85
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Wow^

Should be some epic lonely road riding in Yellowstone, but probably get arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Should be some epic lonely road riding in Yellowstone, but probably get arrested.
    Depends on whether or not they want to risk chasing you on washed-out roads. A bicycle (or moto) doesn't need nearly as much usable roadway as a car or truck.

Just don't piss off the animals if your'e on a bicycle.

Also, from Park County:
    Quote Originally Posted by Park County
    The Park County Sheriff's Department has issued a shelter-in place order south of mile marker 52.5 on U.S. Highway 89 South until 7 a.m.
    Extensive flooding throughout Park County has washed out bridges, roads, and left communities and homes isolated. It has also made drinking water unsafe in many areas.
    The river is still rising near Livingston, and it is expected to crest between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Monday.
    There are evacuations and rescues going on throughout the county, including two air lifts (up the Boulder and near Cooke City-Silver Gate) and one swift water rescue (along U.S. Highway 89 South). Two Bear Air and the National Guard are assisting with the air rescues. Park County Search and Rescue is assisting with the swift water rescue.
    Here's what you need to know, according to the Park County Sheriffs Department and the Park County Emergency Operations Center:
    Gardiner isolated, with Do Not Drink order
    Gardiner is currently isolated and surrounded by water.
    The Montana Department of Environmental Quality has issued a Do Not Drink order for water in the area after a water main has broken in the area.
    U.S. Highway 89 South in Yankee Jim Canyon has water on the road.
    The road between Gardiner and Mammoth has washed out in several places.
    Cooke City, Silver Gate isolated
    Cooke City and Silver Gate are currently isolated and surrounded by water. The communities are isolated from each other.
    Many wells in the area and throughout Park County have been submerged or compromised. The Park County Health Department encourages anyone with questions to contact them at 406-222-4131.
    If you have a well, and it is submerged by flood water or the water appears to be compromised, the water may not be safe to consume.
    This is especially true for people who are immunocompromised or an infant.
    Paradise Valley: Stay put, if you're safe
    The Park County Sheriff's Department has issued a shelter-in place order south of mile marker 52.5 on U.S. Highway 89 South until 7 a.m. If you are currently safe, please stay put. If you are experiencing an emergency, please call 911. There is water on the road south of this mile marker.
    Travel is extremely limited and unsafe in many locations. Many bridges and roads are no longer operational. Many people are landlocked, including the communities of Gardiner, Cooke City, Silver Gate, the Cinnabar Basin, Tom Miner Basin, stretches of U.S. Highway 89 South, Mill Creek, and Old Yellowstone Trail.
    Mill Creek Bridge and Pine Creek Bridge are the only two operational bridges in Paradise Valley.
    If you're attempting to get to safety, Trail Creek Road is open for local and emergency traffic only to Interstate 90.
    Livingston evacuation, pre-evacuation orders
    An evacuation of Ninth Street Island has been completed. Some residents have chosen to stay, but the island is expected to experience severe flooding.
    Much of the east side of Livingston is under a pre-evacuation order. This includes from B Street east and Lewis Street south. In this area, please prepare for flooding.

I should look into getting on a disaster crew and run a skid steer etc for 100$ per hr for a few months

Read the comments, it's crazy, people are totally stuck. Airlifts will be required for supplies and evacs. This is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

Not sure if this is a repost but since the other was a link that sounded similar and required an active fb account, here is another option for the moment a house fell into the river.

https://twitter.com/taylorlbland/sta...67416976596992

Another link for the ridgeline aviation video with commentary from pilot:

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/ri...ed-by-flooding

Will be a long time before a full repair (to an equivalent level of utility). An individual details the importance of access through Gardner to the rest of the park:

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

I’m not sure Park County knows what “landlocked” means.

Stillwater crested at 22,500. Holy crap. That’s hard to believe. Did not see what the Yellowstone crested at - anyone?

I have family stuck in place due to washed out roads with a compromised well. What a crazy situation. Devastating for these little communities.

I was in Boulder for the 2013 floods for SAR. Seeing this kind of destruction in person was nearly unfathomable to process.

As others have said, cleanup and repair will likely take years. In one small canyon town we were in, the river rose up, destroyed the town, and then cut a new channel, requiring roads to be completely rethought and engineered.

If anyone paddled the mad mile between 1:30-2:30 yesterday let me know, I probably got a picture of you

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I was in Boulder for the 2013 floods for SAR. Seeing this kind of destruction in person was nearly unfathomable to process.

As others have said, cleanup and repair will likely take years. In one small canyon town we were in, the river rose up, destroyed the town, and then cut a new channel, requiring roads to be completely rethought and engineered.
    We had just moved up here from above Lyons and had friends still there. The destruction when we went back to visit was amazing and I figure it'll be the same once the water has receded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted26 View Post
    If anyone paddled the mad mile between 1:30-2:30 yesterday let me know, I probably got a picture of you
    If you could post a few up it would be appreciated.

Watching this from afar and sending vibes. Have family around Spanish Creek. Footage is reminding me of the ‘13 CO floods which I witnessed first hand, and stemmed from a similar rain event.

Stay safe up there!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF0F6235-EA68-4ADC-8B2F-1DC583A644D7.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	860.7 KB 
ID:	418842

Name:	2A2AB289-9927-48CF-AA96-30B71384C14F.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	977.1 KB 
ID:	418843

Name:	83492F0E-E93F-4711-A513-3EF85BB6E7DE.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	882.2 KB 
ID:	418844

Don’t see how Gardiner to Mammoth repairs will be ready before Fall. Need to wait for water to drop first, then don’t know how long to get some temporary bridges in place. Not any easy spot to rebuild a road

Guess they'll use the beaver ponds road for access in the meantime?

Edit: Awesome photos too!

The park is repairing the Old Gardner Road, which is a dirt road, from Gardner to Mammoth right now, it's priority. They probably already have graders and bulldozers ready in Gardner to do this, their maintenance HQ for all (or most?) of that type of stuff is all right there near the Gardiner entrance.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Did he intend to center punch house rock? Because that's exactly what he did.

Nice job with the hand roll though.