Page 588 of 892 FirstFirst ... 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 ... LastLast
Results 14,676 to 14,700 of 22285
    We were watching it burn from the north end of Canyon Ferry lake the other day. Nasty fire, sucks.

Also saw the Dam Bar go up in flames that day.

A lot of good bars have burned up in the last five years or so. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    A lot of good bars have burned up in the last five years or so. What's up with that?
    The ones with kitchens are usually due to lazy/shitty cleaning of equipment(goods etc). Owners dont know, employees dont get paid enough to care. Just a few from ones that I know of.

I've spent a Turkey day at FS cabin in the belts but cant remember name or exactly where. I know you could connect over to the Smith though and had lots of hunter traffic.

On a side note for just getting back to MT this cool weather right now is great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by livefreerdie View Post
    Fairly Lake Rd is open since Aug 1st, but they are still working in the area. BMW project might create some closures this fall.

Has anyone stayed at a FS cabin in the Belts? I think there are 2 besides the private hut.
    Four according to the website. I've camped at the Indian Flats cabin (didn't actually sleep inside) and it's pretty basic but in a good location. You can bike or hike a couple miles up to the Hogsback lookout, which is pretty cool. The drive to the cabin up Beaver Creek is cool too, tons of limestone cliffs, some of which have climbing routes.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/hlc...2827&actid=101

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post

I've spent a Turkey day at FS cabin in the belts but cant remember name or exactly where. I know you could connect over to the Smith though and had lots of hunter traffic.

Thompson Cabin?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Update 8/8/2021

The Woods Creek Fire continues to burn in the Big Belt Mountains, about 16 miles northeast of Townsend, Montana, and has moved onto private lands. This fire was active yesterday with running, flanking and group tree torching. The fire is being wind driven and is moving east, as well as north in the North Fork Elk Creek area. Yesterday, the fire burned in the Moose Creek area to Elk Creek. Crews did a burnout to stop fire growth in that area. Fire ran from Pickfoot Creek on the east side of the fire towards a private ranch. Firefighters have been working on line construction and structure protection. Crews will continue assessing options for line construction north to Elk Creek and south to Butte Creek.

The west side of the fire is not growing and firefighters are making progress on improving containment. It is backing down Confederate Gulch and crews continue to mop up the area. The area around Thompson Guard Station has been burned out and mop up and patrol of that area will continue. Firefighters will be alert in the Gipsy Creek area, especially Big and Little Birch Creek drainages because these drainages align with forecasted southwest wind. Other areas of concern today include Democrat Gulch, Ayers Gulch, Keep Cool Creek, Mule Creek and Moose Creek. Night crews will monitor and control fire spread, and provide structure protection, in coordination with local fire departments. One outbuilding has been reported lost on the fire.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/7649/63119/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fire mt 8-9-21.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	311.1 KB 
ID:	381842

Apparently it was the Miller Cabin but not showing up on Yeahman's link. Not sure what the deal is now.

Also saw that Altoona lodge is for sale but fingers crossed they survive the Goat fire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

An AP update to the attack at Baker's Hole in April:

Grizzly bear in fatal Montana attack was guarding food cache

HELENA, Mont. — A grizzly bear that fatally mauled a Montana man near Yellowstone National Park this spring was likely defending a moose carcass.
    Investigators theorized the bear may have continued to aggressively guard the cache, including by charging at rescuers and investigators, because of a recent fight with another grizzly bear.
    Carl Mock of West Yellowstone was attacked by the bear on April 15 and died two days later at an Idaho hospital.
    The bear was shot and killed after it charged a team of wildlife investigators who returned to the scene the day after the mauling.

Whitefish

Anyone in Whitefish are have recommendations on a good boot fitter? I'm looking to get into a pair of Zipfit liners but the only dealer they show is in Missoula.

No first hand experience, but from what I heard there is a guy at Great Northern Cycle and Ski in Whitefish that does great work.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Put in a few turns to check the box for August. Skiing was meh, but the views are always fantastic.

^^^ Good work E2W. That's a soul patch if I've ever seen one.

Went for a spin linking mountain to meadows to buck ridge (mountain to mules?) this weekend. Good thing it's a wicked fast downhill because we were pushing it for light.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JKL91 View Post
    Anyone in Whitefish are have recommendations on a good boot fitter? I'm looking to get into a pair of Zipfit liners but the only dealer they show is in Missoula.
    Great Northern is definitely your best bet. Tom is probably the guy you want to talk to (although he was working elsewhere this summer - not sure if he'll be back for the winter).

Great Northern used to carry ZipFits -

current website says ownership change in 2016 and shows Intuitions --

Missoula would be a reasonable daytrip for ZipFits -

toast may have more current and detailed Beta --

( Great Northern used to carry ZipFits )

Good luck !
    ( I read great things about ZipFits )

skiJ

Just checking in.

A few from the fishing thread

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Awesome shots.
    +1, very scenic. Pretty sure I've camped at the lake with the pup. Really cool area.

Think anywhere is possibly dry enough to MTB.....besides Copper City?

Helena got an inch at most on dusty dry trails, so I’m sure we’re good. It doesn’t take very long for our trails to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL91 View Post
    The place in Missoula is Gull Ski. I have gotten boot work done there and was very satisfied. This was over 10 years ago, so obviously my Intel is dated.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    Helena got an inch at most on dusty dry trails, so I’m sure we’re good. It doesn’t take very long for our trails to dry.
    Dirt was absolutely primo up there today.

Saturday spin

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great pics Gnarschralp, they are appreciated.

I'm having a hard time shaking the depression of backsliding into the pandemic. Skiing feels like my only lifeline but it's months away. Going to hike a peak in the Scapegoat this weekend, that should help. Grateful for the clear air.

I hope BB requires proof of vax. Anti vaxxers can get fucked.

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

I applied to the BS volunteer patrol this week.

Got a phone call and expressed my interest in snow science and medical response at the really Big.

Was told in no specific terms that I wouldn’t be allowed to do either, unless the pro patrol thinks I’m worthy and invites me to help out.

Hung up and bought a 3-day pass early/late season combo.

For those in the know, what’s a volunteer patroller do? Empty the garbage?

But it's high class garbage.