Page 580 of 585 FirstFirst ... 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 LastLast
Results 14,476 to 14,500 of 14620
  1. #14476
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    3,873
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Berg View Post
    Does anyone have beta on the big belts? My late march hut trip to the big belt hut got bumped to 5/21-5/23 because we all got covid. I was wondering if anyone has been there recently or even in the general area. Hoping it's not just a glamping trip with a skin approach and that there will still be some skiing. Looks like some good North facing terrain near the hut so I'm hopeful. Thanks all
    I was just there actually. I'll post some pics up tomorrow. Could be good, could be pretty melted out, either way I bet you can drive to the 3 mile mark in 10 days, (where you're supposed to park your snowmobile). Pretty sick terrain up there tho

  2. #14477
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Making the Bowl Great Again
    Posts
    13,244
    Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Isn't it already the MTB mecca of MT?
    Whitefish might like a word about that.

  3. #14478
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    10,636
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Whitefish might like a word about that.
    Helena has easy access to a big trail network. But all the trails are kinda the same, and most of them aren't particularly interesting. The Flathead has a better variety of trails, but they're spread out, not well interconnected, and the loop options are limited. Bozeman has some good trails that are melted out and dry for at least 5 weeks every year. Missoula has a ton of awesome trails provided you're mostly excited about the challenge of riding switchbacks.

    Mostly Montana just doesn't have any particularly good mountain bike meccas.

  4. #14479
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    697
    Iíd agree with that provided you define Helena as the South Hills. As you expand into the broader landscape thereís a lot more variety. Thatís not what gets marketed, and Iím fine with that.

    I donít think many residents want to be considered a destination, here or in other riding spots in Montana. I know I donít, but Iíll use the increased pressure to try and improve our trails.

  5. #14480
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I was just there actually. I'll post some pics up tomorrow. Could be good, could be pretty melted out, either way I bet you can drive to the 3 mile mark in 10 days, (where you're supposed to park your snowmobile). Pretty sick terrain up there tho
    Yeah send in them pics! Yeah pretty huge bummer we all got covid the week before the trip but I would say we kinda had it coming.... Anyway, Still get to get out in the woods for a weekend, pop some tops, and catch some rays. Thanks

  6. #14481
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    10,636
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I’d agree with that provided you define Helena as the South Hills. As you expand into the broader landscape there’s a lot more variety.
    I don't mean to shit on Helena because there's a ton of nice trails there, and maybe there's stuff in Helena that I'm unaware of, but there isn't really any alpine riding, there isn't really any lift served, and there aren't really any flowy / jumpy trails. From what I've seen / ridden, everything is more or less natural, below tree line single track that was originally built for hiking / horses, or is newer and was built to pretty mellow multi-use specs. Some of it's a bit rockier, but I don't think of any of it as being overly technical (at least compared to, say, British Columbia standards).

  7. #14482
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    52
    While you hosers argue about who has the shittiest mountain biking - conditions at Bridger were freaking epic this weekend. Some of my best runs of the year. Saturday morning met Ted26 breaking trail up Bridger and skied a Nose/Toilet Bowl/Test Face. Went flying down into Toilet Bowl and the slough starting pulling my feet down. Instead of wussing out like I usually do, I pointed into the chaos and came nuking out super stoked. Sunday got up for first storm tracks down Colters - unreal. Perfect stability. Kinda shitty viz at the top, but I knew it would clear just before the choke. The fall line slowly pulled me in to faster and straighter turns as the chute narrowed - by the time I hit the choke turning wasn't even a consideration. Just flying. Apron at the bottom was unreal - at least until the wiggle they put in S Bowl came up on me Probably top to bottom in under 60 seconds. That's the kind of run I wait all year for. I wish somebody would just hook that shit straight into my veins. Then I took the family back up for Mother's day and we skied more pow - Fingers to S Bowl. My wife says "its kinda hard until you just let yourself go, then it's pretty addicting." Ha. Right. That's pow skiing!! It was sick to see her make some big turns and see the kids put in a decent skinning effort.
    I will win the award for the shittiest I phone pics here:

    Name:  IMG_2134.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  117.9 KB
    You can kinda see my tracks down the Apron below Colters
    Name:  IMG_1467.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  118.6 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1456.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	682.0 KB 
ID:	374268

  8. #14483
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredeagle View Post
    While you hosers argue about who has the shittiest mountain biking - conditions at Bridger were freaking epic this weekend.
    I will win the award for the shittiest I phone pics here.
    Itís funny but the new iPhone is the best camera Iíve ever owned.

    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I don't mean to shit on Helena because there's a ton of nice trails there, and maybe there's stuff in Helena that I'm unaware of, but there isn't really any alpine riding, there isn't really any lift served, and there aren't really any flowy / jumpy trails. From what I've seen / ridden, everything is more or less natural, below tree line single track that was originally built for hiking / horses, or is newer and was built to pretty mellow multi-use specs. Some of it's a bit rockier, but I don't think of any of it as being overly technical (at least compared to, say, British Columbia standards).
    No worries; I didnít read it that way. Iím not sure how much youíve ridden here outside the OG Helenduro courses, but thereís a lot more than most people know. This part of the state doesnít have a lot of alpine country, but thereís riding in what we have, and some of it is pretty steep (unclimbable) and rocky AF. Lift-served is a couple years away. But youíre right in that we donít have much BC-style purpose built tech lines. There isnít a lot of flow/jump trail, and what we recently gained freaked out a handful of boomers who demanded the city commission put a stop to it.

  9. #14484
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    6,152
    bravo, shredeagle
    life ain't guaranteed, love your people while you can

  10. #14485
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    10,636
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    There isn’t a lot of flow/jump trail, and what we recently gained freaked out a handful of boomers who demanded the city commission put a stop to it.
    Hah, that's kinda funny. We've definitely had some of that as well. Nothing like old guys complaining about things that they didn't plan, fund, or build.

    Mostly I think Montana as a whole is fairly behind the curve on building good bike trails. For how many trails we have, how much open space we have, and how many bikers we have (both local and visitors), there's a depressingly small amount of trail that's really built with bikes in mind. There are some nuggets here and there, and there's certainly some non-purpose built trail that works really nicely for bikes. But compared to anywhere that I'd consider an actual bike mecca, Montana is a couple decades behind.

  11. #14486
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    16,325
    Montana is at least a couple decades behind.
    FIFY
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

  12. #14487
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    10,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    FIFY
    Which, to be fair, is why a lot of us like it here.

    I just want to have my cake and eat it too.

  13. #14488
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Helena
    Posts
    462
    Speaking of Helena biking, has anyone ridden from Rogers pass to flesher pass on the CDT? Seems like some good alpine terrain. The ride didn't look too long when I was looking at hiking logs.

  14. #14489
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    1
    If you don't like the biking around here move to some pansy-ass liberal state like Washington. Then you can do your cool guy blogs with all of your other yuppie "friends" who may actually pretend to give a shit

  15. #14490
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    2,887
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_TURK View Post
    If you don't like the biking around here move to some pansy-ass liberal state like Washington. Then you can do your cool guy blogs with all of your other yuppie "friends" who may actually pretend to give a shit
    comin in hot!
    though this reeks of alias.
    you don't want no smoke.

  16. #14491
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    10,945
    Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Speaking of Helena biking, has anyone ridden from Rogers pass to flesher pass on the CDT? Seems like some good alpine terrain. The ride didn't look too long when I was looking at hiking logs.
    I have hiked that section. Real pretty terrain. Never saw a bike on it, but I think they are allowed, not sure. I donít remember the mileage but it was a long day, finished it after dark. I did it north to south.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  17. #14492
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I have hiked that section. Real pretty terrain. Never saw a bike on it, but I think they are allowed, not sure. I donít remember the mileage but it was a long day, finished it after dark. I did it north to south.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    They are. Bikes are allowed on the CDT south of the Wilderness boundary up by Alice Creek. Iíve never ridden it myself. It takes some logistics and Iíve always had a conflict when friends have set something up. Vigilante did a one-off shuttle on it last summer, but I wasnít getting into a van during COVID. Itís still on my list.

  18. #14493
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    4,253
    I have friends who rode the CD from Rogers Pass to Flesher and they said it's a big day. Bigger than they expected based on mileage (13.4) and elevation gain (3,800). But really cool and worth doing if that's your thing.

    And obviously it's griz country more and more up there these days, so standard precautions needed.

  19. #14494
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    52
    I like the riding in MT. When I go to Moab or St George I always miss the long continuous descents we have. I like riding off the high peaks and doing the 3 - 4k downhills non-stop - then you collapse in the parking lot while waives of euphoria wash over your body. Then chug beers!!! Plus it's pretty possible to catch most of these rides without ever having to pull over for other hikers or bikers. Riding the destination rides like the Enchilada gives me anxiety with all of the people. I'm glad we aren't a destination...but I'm also not really into flow trails and that stuff. And I don't mind taking my bike for a long walk.

    I also think the Butte-Helena-Deer Lodge zone has some pretty sick uncrowded riding. You just gotta poke around. I ride Friday afternoons and head up that way fairly often if anyone ever wants to ride. Would be down for a group ride on the CDT section too - looks pretty cool.

  20. #14495
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    7,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredeagle View Post
    I like the riding in MT. When I go to Moab or St George I always miss the long continuous descents we have. I like riding off the high peaks and doing the 3 - 4k downhills non-stop - then you collapse in the parking lot while waives of euphoria wash over your body. Then chug beers!!! Plus it's pretty possible to catch most of these rides without ever having to pull over for other hikers or bikers. Riding the destination rides like the Enchilada gives me anxiety with all of the people. I'm glad we aren't a destination...but I'm also not really into flow trails and that stuff. And I don't mind taking my bike for a long walk.

    I also think the Butte-Helena-Deer Lodge zone has some pretty sick uncrowded riding. You just gotta poke around. I ride Friday afternoons and head up that way fairly often if anyone ever wants to ride. Would be down for a group ride on the CDT section too - looks pretty cool.
    As a resident of the over-run Front Range of Colorado, you should probably keep this to yourself.

    Oh - and pro-tip on riding TWE - do it in July. You can thank me later.

  21. #14496
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    16,325
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2021-05-12 2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread - Page 580.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	374365

    1 post was all it took, congrats on a new personal best.

    CDT riding is some of the best around.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

  22. #14497
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    3,873
    Big Belt hut, a trip report from the first week of May

    Pretty nice set up with a short hike to some fun ski terrain. Hut is nice and basic, just what you need for a good ski trip. it does have a Sauna that was really relaxing after dinner. Do you think sweating in a sauna makes you more smelly or less? My votes on less.

    Townsend locals are pretty cool
    Name:  PXL_20210501_143227148.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  169.2 KB

    the hut at sunset and wood shed
    Name:  PXL_20210502_023415263.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  187.3 KB

    the hut sits about 500 feet below the summit of little baldy and then to the south are Mt Baldy aka big baldy and middle baldy pictured below. Middle baldy in the front.
    Name:  PXL_20210503_143438763.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  209.0 KB

    skiing down to the saddle between little and middle baldys
    Name:  PXL_20210503_145022423.MP.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  245.0 KB

    skiing off the NE face of middle baldy
    Name:  PXL_20210503_162559166.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  271.1 KB

    hiking up to a bench off mt baldy shoulder with the east face of middle baldy in the background
    Name:  PXL_20210503_195931334.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  200.9 KB

    skiing the east face of middle baldy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	183471222_10226298905720812_8682109828299763143_n.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	357.4 KB 
ID:	374379

    the cirque off little baldy (most of the couloirs were full of debris but the morre northernly were still smooth)
    Name:  PXL_20210504_172159128.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  161.4 KB

    not the scene you want to see on a hut trip
    Name:  PXL_20210503_183504869.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  169.9 KB

    East face of Mt Baldy (skied this solo after everyone else decided to head home for the day, but the corn was still firing on east faces so I couldn't resist a little bonus vert!)
    Name:  PXL_20210503_212829777.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  220.2 KB

    hiking up the north face of big baldy
    Name:  PXL_20210503_174727021.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  204.5 KB

    there's a ton of goats in the big belts. we saw goat tracks all over the place. and above the hut there's a ledge that's covered in goat shit that overlooks a couloir.
    Unfortunately, the bottom of the couloir was blocked by some water ice (I'm guessing it goes in the winter). Luckily, where the water ice starts you can easily traverse back to the hut, so it made for a fun quick outing from the hut. We mainly skied it in firm and icey conditions which really added oto the fun!
    Kyle skiing Goat Poop Chute or GPC as the locals call it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200501060925_IMG_0864.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	447.6 KB 
ID:	374383

    looking down GPC, if you look closely you can see that shit!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200501061030_IMG_0884.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	413.0 KB 
ID:	374385

    Definitely a good hut in my opinion based off the ski terrain offerings even with limited terrain offerings due to snowmelt, I'd go back that's for sure.

  23. #14498
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    4,253
    Awesome brutah! Thanks for the TR.

  24. #14499
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    16,325
    Nice, thx.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

  25. #14500
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Where the center is on the right
    Posts
    748
    Nice! That terrain has caught my eye on google earth before. Thanks for the pics!
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •