Page 527 of 891 FirstFirst ... 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 ... LastLast
Results 13,151 to 13,175 of 22274

Thread: 2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    I see that they opened up some terrain in Headwaters at Hopefully-Less-Thin Sky (FH, HR, etc.) I'll be heading up tomorrow and I welcome any observations over coverage. (Just wondering if I should still bring rock skis?)
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Snowbowl vs. Lost Trail vs. Whitefish under current conditions for Sunday?

I'm leaning towards Lost Trail, but not against the longer drive to Whitefish. Wanting to try out the new skis, looking for decent crude and leftovers. Not expecting to find any powder stashes.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    I see that they opened up some terrain in Headwaters at Hopefully-Less-Thin Sky (FH, HR, etc.) I'll be heading up tomorrow and I welcome any observations over coverage. (Just wondering if I should still bring rock skis?)
    Aren't all big sky skis "rock skis"...?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Maybe a brief opening in the AM? Rode up challenger at like noon today and the hike was closed. Based on the 10,000 rocks I hit today you definitely want rock skis pretty much most places. BRT was fun with that firm base with sluff on top, but getting there was "interesting" to say the least.

Skied Marx later in the day. Actually good coverage, but dense weird bombed to shit snow.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Indeed. When I finally learned to accept that, it helped my skiing there immensely. Haha. Kinda just gotta go for it and not care about it. Still nails on a chalkboard tho everytime you think you're surfing some deep powder and all of a sudden "sskrrrrskkkkssssrrkrrrrrrrr." Makes ya cringe but just gotta go with it, ya know?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Maybe a brief opening in the AM? Rode up challenger at like noon today and the hike was closed. Based on the 10,000 rocks I hit today you definitely want rock skis pretty much most places. BRT was fun with that firm base with sluff on top, but getting there was "interesting" to say the least.

Skied Marx later in the day. Actually good coverage, but dense weird bombed to shit snow.
    Good info, thanks. Website said the hike was open, though I'm guessing it was closed after HR. I have three versions of rock skis: 1) Rock skis for skiing rocks, 2) Rock skis for when you hit rocks, and 3) Rock skis for hitting the occasional rock (id est, my "everyday" skis). I've been hoping to get into the #2 option. Sounds like I'll stick with #1.
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Good info, thanks. Website said the hike was open, though I'm guessing it was closed after HR. I have three versions of rock skis: 1) Rock skis for skiing rocks, 2) Rock skis for when you hit rocks, and 3) Rock skis for hitting the occasional rock (id est, my "everyday" skis). I've been hoping to get into the #2 option. Sounds like I'll stick with #1.
    You could probably roll #2 option honestly. The main guts of FH, HR, etc look like they do any other time on a normal season. It's just getting to things where you will be hitting a buttload of rocks.

Maybe I have just been lucky so far this year, but the bases/edges on my everyday skis are made out of some futuristic mega-hard material. I hit some really good ones today off challenger and the skis are fine.

I triggered a massive avalanche on Flanders in Hyalite today. I remote triggered the whole bowl from the bottom of the run. We found an ECTP8 on our ascent. However, I did not think the SE face of Flanders was steep enough to slide, but that was clearly not the case. My upper ski tracks were also taken out by the slide. We have a uniquely poor snowpack around much of Bozeman right now, and I’ll be the first to admit it caught me off guard today. The edge of the bowl on Flanders was something thatClick image for larger version. 

Name:	B101AAC9-04FF-4B4D-9DE1-826A7D97374A.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	835.0 KB 
ID:	357119 I would have considered pretty safe before today.

Gnarly Ted. Glad you are okay.

Damn Ted.

Hard to tell with the clouds moving in and out, but looked like a big slide somewhere out in the Beehive area today. Possibly the face above the butt crack.

Dats a wide guy ted! Damn! So sketchy. It's taking the normal sketchy bullshit to the next level this year. On a similar note, I'm sure ery body saw the fin slide. Holy buckets those ppls are lucky. No judgment passed on the party except that I would absolutely never ski up the fin. Even for a blowie back in the dump in some hot chicks sprinter van, snacking on a cheese board, with my ski boots still on. Nope. Wouldn't do it.

Went up Olsen after skiing slushies today to find decent meadows to not get stuck in. Pretty fun.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Fall Line Will Set You Free

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	357123

Name:	IMG_1313.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	357124

Name:	IMG_1321.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	357125

Couple of other shots. I'll put the video up here of the release if MTavalanche doesn't post it.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    I've wanted to make a sticker that says something to the effect of "SW MT: every ski is a rock ski"

Took a long walk up today. Didn't ski anything particularly exciting besides the skin track out, but the views were great.

Name:	P1010653.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	357129

Name:	P1010668.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	357131
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

Damn Ted. Glad you are safe

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post

Wow. I have never seen such a delayed slide like that on film before.

Jaysus.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post

I guess their skinner wasn’t really safe either. No judgment, it doesn’t look that steep, maybe the GoPro?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

[emoji15][emoji15][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Here's my best guess on slope angle:

Name:	InkedIMG_1335_LI.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	300.7 KB 
ID:	357174

Name:	IMG_1340.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	394.5 KB 
ID:	357175

Parts of the bowl under 30 degrees likely propagated, which I am still surprised about. Photos almost make it look steeper than it is, the shoulder off of Blackmore is fairly comparable to the skiers left side of what slid. My best guess is that I hit the concavity below the north face (which is much steeper) when I meandered out into the middle of the bowl.

Also interesting is that the slide appears to have remote propagated the next slide path over to the south.

Name:	IMG_1326.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	357177

Name:	IMG_1327.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	357178

it didn't appear the two connected but it was hard to tell. Here's our pit and the layer it failed on:

Name:	IMG_1297.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	798.9 KB 
ID:	357179

Name:	IMG_1298.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	714.0 KB 
ID:	357180

Whoah........ nutty how delayed that was......glad your party’s all good and thanks for sharing++++

Glad you're OK and also just wanted to say thanks for sharing!

I was gonna poke around up there Thursday but instead bought a lift ticket to bridger. Sketchy indeed. Glad you and everyone is okay.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Damn. That slide video is spooky.

I don't think that slid due to pitch, so much as a shitload of surface tension wanting to pull inwards and downwards. Skiing the gut broke the tension, which may also account for the delay.

Looks like a 2 foot crack engulfing 6 football fields. dang.

Good that you're safe.

Got one lap in Hellroaring. It's probably not everyone's idea of a good time, but I was all smiles...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ3023sl...=17iqgrzc10gds

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk