Page 512 of 892 FirstFirst ... 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 ... LastLast
Results 12,776 to 12,800 of 22285
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    There is something about the sound of a 1st gen Maxell XLII aud that can't really be replicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredeagle View Post
    Here's a couple pics from a fun day out this week

Attachment 352424

Attachment 352425
    Fucking awesome! Didn't realize there was any decent snowpack out there. Looks like an awesome zone. Went out today to scout lines. It was pretty bare.

Quote Originally Posted by usdatele View Post
    OG hooked it up.
    I was gifted a milk crate full of tapes..... the kind you're thinking of. Its a burden and an amazing gift.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Holy acid trip!! Outstanding. Just fucking outstanding.

OG hooked it up.
    I was gifted a milk crate full of tapes..... the kind you're thinking of. Its a burden and an amazing gift.

^^^^^^ classic spring 77 betty board......bama

OG hooked it up.

It's a damn shame that Looks Like Rain is the first legible song because otherwise that's a solid show! I've got a similar crate of tapes, oughtta find a walkman to play them...

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Fucking awesome! Didn't realize there was any decent snowpack out there. Looks like an awesome zone. Went out today to scout lines. It was pretty bare.
    Ballpark of where this is at? Looks fun!
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    It's a damn shame that Looks Like Rain is the first legible song because otherwise that's a solid show! I've got a similar crate of tapes, oughtta find a walkman to play them...

Ballpark of where this is at? Looks fun!
    I was too afraid to ask. My guess is beartooths.

Anyone been in beehive lately? I'm assuming there is almost no base left and it's a few storms away from coming back?

Sorry dudes. I don’t feel comfortable sharing where on that one. It’s not my area and I don’t know the guys or ski scene in that town so I don’t want to blow up their spot. I just happened upon it over the years of trying to find a good place to ski large surface hoar crystals. That’s pretty fun - it’s like zero friction shredding.

^^^ Tick Ridge. Duh.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Sorry dudes. I don’t feel comfortable sharing where on that one. It’s not my area and I don’t know the guys or ski scene in that town so I don’t want to blow up their spot. I just happened upon it over the years of trying to find a good place to ski large surface hoar crystals. That’s pretty fun - it’s like zero friction shredding.
    Definitely Idaho

Looks like its up on the marmot's tail. Accessed via the no reverse traverse. Love that line.

Fall Line Will Set You Free

Then why put a picture up in the first place?

Because anonymous stoke is still stoke. I applaud the respect for place. Bravo shredeagle. Wish more folks had this mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Because anonymous stoke is still stoke. I applaud the respect for place. Bravo shredeagle. Wish more folks had this mindset.
    Seems like a really good opportunity for some quality discussion. I don’t mean to put anyone on blast because this isn’t anything that can lie on the shoulders of any one individual. It just seems very hypocritical to say having respect for a place while “stoking” random people on the internet. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong to take the action, just don’t pretend like you’re keeping the sanctity of a place just because you’re not drawing out a map on a napkin for people.

All I can speak for is myself and my past experience and having shared “stoke” on places in the past on the Internet had lead to a serious uptick in travel (of the wrong kind of people), which now I really regret. While it will probably have minimal affect on a remote Montana backcountry slope, is this something that we could collectively nip in the butt and come up with a decent set of ethics for? Maybe I’m just ranting but I’m more curious than critical.

my opinion:

i like seeing pics of cool mountains and great tracks. i like good stories of bc outings. they add value to my life in the form of inspiration (stoke).

these can be put out on the great wide internet for our ski friends to also enjoy, but as soon as the maps and directions start getting pointy, the quality of the place is degraded.

it's not just a "purity" thing. it's a safety issue as well when experienced bc travelers are forced further out into the boonies or otherwise exposed to hazards by jongs at blown out zones. isn't "scarcity" a heuristic trap? i think there's a responsibility of the users of quality bc spots to protect them from overexposure, with the flip side being the reward for discovering a new area, which can/should be enjoyed by users of all experience levels. this is an activity that should not be spelled out for easy consumtion.

so I think it's ethical to refrain from posting maps, and to keep place descriptions general.

/opinion

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchPee View Post
    Seems like a really good opportunity for some quality discussion. I don’t mean to put anyone on blast because this isn’t anything that can lie on the shoulders of any one individual. It just seems very hypocritical to say having respect for a place while “stoking” random people on the internet. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong to take the action, just don’t pretend like you’re keeping the sanctity of a place just because you’re not drawing out a map on a napkin for people.
    There is value in putting on boots or skinning around and exploring. It's not like the internet doesn't already make things 100X easier than it used to be to find and do cool shit. I remember pouring over guidebooks (remember guidebooks? I still have probably 200 of them!) then printing out 15-minute topo maps at The Benchmark in Boise. Emil (Owner) knew what I was doing as a young teenager... the internet just didn't deliver, back then. Do the research and get out. Half of the joy in doing the stuff is in the exploration, work, and finding of the stuff. All of these things we enjoy and have at our disposal wasn't always so easy and accessible.

Throwback to 17 years ago when you usually had to (at minimum) invest in a book to figure shit out (WARNING: Not MT but very close by):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2003-07-26f_Mike, probably on last pitches of Upper Exum Direct, Grand Teton, Wyoming_date appro.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	352551
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Yeah I enjoy seeing pics of peoples adventures as it motivates me more to get out. I agree with not throwing up specific locations but I kinda enjoy seeing people put in the work to get to certain areas that I recognize and know how hard it is to get info on.

Also as much as the internet has made things (much) easier to find info spraying about your spot and having it discovered has been happening for a long time before the internet. Hell, for example, I had been trying for a couple years to ski a certain line "near" Livingston. I had told one buddy about it and had shown him a pic. I had never seen a trace of human activity in this zone in the winter, long approach etc. He told another buddy and they decided to try to get there before us. Funny enough the first buddy told us their plan and we went in the night before and were skiing down the line as they arrived at our camp. I thought it was funny and they skied a different nice line. I know cool story bro. But the only way to really keep a zone to yourself is ski solo and shut the fuck up.

Btw we need more snow.

And I was one of those nerds buying up topos at the local climbing/ski shops.

Stoke shaming is fucked. People will consume said stoke then bitch about being stoked out. I only post pictures so that the next time I go to said secret stoke spot I got a skin track to follow.

I'm going to red lodge to get stoked out on some bumps.

Fall Line Will Set You Free

Sick new Matrix sources for 2 classic Dead shows

6/26/74

6/28/74

& links for all you fuckbois who stream

https://archive.org/details/gd1974-0...s.ht119.flac16

https://archive.org/details/gd1974-0...s.ht120.flac16

Please start a new thread for any Dead & Co discussion though, does not belong here

I only post pictures so that the next time I go to said secret stoke spot I got a skin track to follow.
    Quality comment.

And:

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    it's not just a "purity" thing. it's a safety issue as well when experienced bc travelers are forced further out into the boonies or otherwise exposed to hazards by jongs at blown out zones. isn't "scarcity" a heuristic trap? i think there's a responsibility of the users of quality bc spots to protect them from overexposure, with the flip side being the reward for discovering a new area, which can/should be enjoyed by users of all experience levels. this is an activity that should not be spelled out for easy consumtion.

so I think it's ethical to refrain from posting maps, and to keep place descriptions general.
    Keeping is vague means that a newer user has to put in the effort to find it first. Doing your research on a new place before ever going there is important, and it helps us all become better BC users. If someone can’t be bothered to do at least a little research beforehand, then they weren’t worthy of visiting such a place anyway. Call it a self-policing method.

Ya also gotta keep yer shots just vague enough to keep it fun:

Name:	14247468835_eb508b232a_o.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	352588

Name:	22518444189_e3c56518b6_o.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	352589

Name:	24831497113_fb753bbc52_o.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	352590

Sorry to spoil it but that is obviously Vail

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Sorry to spoil it but that is obviously Vail
    I thought it was the Hogan Chutes at A-basin.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Ya also gotta keep yer shots just vague enough to keep it fun:

Name:	14247468835_eb508b232a_o.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	352588

Name:	22518444189_e3c56518b6_o.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	352589

Name:	24831497113_fb753bbc52_o.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	352590
    Dig.

Ever try exiting via the next drainage north?