Page 675 of 891 FirstFirst ... 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 ... LastLast
Results 16,851 to 16,875 of 22256
    That is a Montana photo. Thx.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Got out on skis this weekend for the first time in a month.

Lotta snow up in the high country right now. The lower elevations are practically bare, but once you get above 5k it gets fat real quick. Snowpack feels healthy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6247.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	615.9 KB 
ID:	416496

Name:	IMG_6251.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	675.5 KB 
ID:	416497

Name:	IMG_6243.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	474.6 KB 
ID:	416498

Felt good to share some turns with the pup as well. He’s becoming a great ski companion.

Name:	IMG_6180.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	320.0 KB 
ID:	416499

The forest set a decent scene for the climb as well.

Name:	IMG_6246.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	718.7 KB 
ID:	416500

Put the camera away for most of the skiing, but overall was a nice 5in layer of rightside-up snow.

Springtime is the perfect time for taking your skis on a walk

Name:	IMG_6215.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	300.9 KB 
ID:	416501

Nice Jenks. I haven't been out much recently either but had a fun day on Friday. Started out in the rain, then graupel until it cleared as I got to the top. Wasn't feeling too inspired. Skied the Slushman's lift line and found a cool sneak through the cliffs that got my speed up and got me to realize it was a weird form of super hero snow. Went flying to the bottom and had to do one more. No messing around on the second one, just seeing how fast I could go. Fast enough that every little undulation was turned into involuntary air time. Pretty stoked, howling like an idiot with no one around. I'm always grateful for those days when you are granted safe high speed passage down the mountains.

Name:	IMG_3817.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	627.2 KB 
ID:	416605
    Laying some rails

Name:	IMG_3823.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	456.8 KB 
ID:	416606

What a pretty mountain. Got me inspired to try and ski both sides this Friday if the forecast holds and the warm temps don't screw it up too much!!

Random question for the SW MT mags…gonna be in Gallatin Gateway early July. Probably bringing our dog with us but don’t want to schlep her kennel with us. Anyone know of a place to rent one? Or possibly have one to borrow? We’d like one for the vrbo as she’s still a relative pup and can have occasional accidents etc. We’re still figuring out logistics so may become a non issue but figured I’d ask here. Gracias.

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Random question for the SW MT mags…gonna be in Gallatin Gateway early July. Probably bringing our dog with us but don’t want to schlep her kennel with us. Anyone know of a place to rent one? Or possibly have one to borrow? We’d like one for the vrbo as she’s still a relative pup and can have occasional accidents etc. We’re still figuring out logistics so may become a non issue but figured I’d ask here. Gracias.
    If you’re just looking for a medium kennel/crate type of thing, I have one you can use. PM me for more specifics on sizing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    If you’re just looking for a medium kennel/crate type of thing, I have one you can use. PM me for more specifics on sizing, etc.
    Awesome! I’ll shoot a PM.

Hyalite reservoir still 100% frozen. Huh.

Bridger still skiing surprisingly well too. Didn't ski both sides of Saddle, it was too hard to pass up having Slushman's all to ourselves.

Name:	IMG_3867.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	460.7 KB 
ID:	417202

We were in and out of the sun all afternoon, but the snow stayed good all the way to the car. The last couple times I was worried the sun would ruin the pow, but it seems like if it stays cloudy in the morning, and the sun doesn't pop until it has already made it's way further to the west, that the east side will stay pretty good, even with the late spring sun.

Name:	IMG_3869.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	915.7 KB 
ID:	417203

Cool lighting and the snow with the green valleys is some of my favorite scenery.

Name:	IMG_3877.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	505.3 KB 
ID:	417204

Name:	IMG_3883.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	385.3 KB 
ID:	417205

Name:	IMG_3895.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	417206

Saw this looking good on the skin up and was pretty stoked to hit it in prime conditions.

Looks like we might get one more weekend of good pow skiing coming up? I keep thinking I'm done, then it keeps getting good.

That last shot is sweet money $$$

Looks like fun stuff SE.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredeagle View Post

Name:	IMG_3869.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	915.7 KB 
ID:	417203
    That's special lighting!

With the forecast it looks like MTB @ Copper City Thursday & maybe skiing over the weekend....

Nice work SE.

Is it true Bridger has gotten more snow since closing day than they did all season? That rumor is floating around town but I haven’t checked.

The seasonal total was somewhere around 170 inches.

It’s hard to believe there’s been that much since April, but could be steadily approaching.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    The seasonal total was somewhere around 170 inches.

It’s hard to believe there’s been that much since April, but could be steadily approaching.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Can anyone provide accurate season totals for the last 10-15 seasons?

At the start of the season I was curious about the 300" claim for Bridger as the data I saw supported a *much* lower total for the last ~10 years. I got shouted down/data was questioned, but I didn't see any better data offered. I'm still curious.

Thanks!

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Per Big Sky marketing posters plastered everywhere they get 400 inches a year!

You moving up north upallnight?
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    Per Big Sky marketing posters plastered everywhere they get 400 inches a year!

You moving up north upallnight?
    200" during Bridger's season seems closer to their real average.... but I'd love to see the data if any can point me to it!

Been spending a bit more time up north — looks like lots of interesting skiable terrain to me between Island Park & BZN!

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Can anyone provide accurate season totals for the last 10-15 seasons?

At the start of the season I was curious about the 300" claim for Bridger as the data I saw supported a *much* lower total for the last ~10 years. I got shouted down/data was questioned, but I didn't see any better data offered. I'm still curious.

Thanks!

https://bestsnow.net/
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Oh word! I bought that guy’s data set in the 90s! I remember him sending a 3.5” disc with a spreadsheet.

He doesn’t have the historical Bridger season totals listed on his site. Anyone have them? I posted ones I found before and they were low (way lower than 300”—I think there was a single year at 300 in the last 10 with a bunch less than 200), but they were questioned without anyone providing other numbers.

Just trying to figure out the real data. Surely someone wrote down the end of year totals from the avy center or something, right?

I've been looking around a bit, but it is surprisingly hard to find a good answer to your question upallnight.

On the snow website, which isn't that accurate, shows 211 average over the last 10 years for lift season. Which seems pretty close to me. We can get a lot of snow out of lift season too - so that is probably some of the confusion/discrepancies in numbers. Hard to tell who is measuring what.

Maybe Mild Willie has access to the ski area records?

Less snow=less people=shredeagle embraces his inner hardpack hero and has more fun!! Haha. This season was a little lean though - even by my standards. But the end made up for it.

Snow totals are best left unexamined in Montana, let's put it that way.

^^^ He is right you know.

https://bridgerbowl.com/weather/history-tables

You will need a calculator or a pen & paper.

Name:  Grizzly Print.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  85.4 KB
    Mr Grizzly doesn't care about snow statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Shredeagle View Post
    I've been looking around a bit, but it is surprisingly hard to find a good answer to your question upallnight.

On the snow website, which isn't that accurate, shows 211 average over the last 10 years for lift season. Which seems pretty close to me. We can get a lot of snow out of lift season too - so that is probably some of the confusion/discrepancies in numbers. Hard to tell who is measuring what.

Maybe Mild Willie has access to the ski area records?

Less snow=less people=shredeagle embraces his inner hardpack hero and has more fun!! Haha. This season was a little lean though - even by my standards. But the end made up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    ^^^ He is right you know.

https://bridgerbowl.com/weather/history-tables

You will need a calculator or a pen & paper.
    Fair enough. I think we have the answer. Onthesnow already had that data and the average for the last 10 years was closer to 200" than 300" (with several seasons below 200). I think there was one season >300 in those ten.

At the time folks said "that's wrong!" — seems like it's... correct.

It's interesting to me how weather patterns change. I'm guessing Bridger at one time saw 300" on an average year, but it seems like that hasn't been the case of late.

(Also, I get that the skiing can be phenomenal even in a low-snow year due to wind, local knowledge, etc. Actually, I'm a fan of finding amazing pow when it is NOT snowing every day... that's my jam. )

I hear you, I long ago quit caring about past snow totals. That said an incredible day I experienced at BB is unquestionably the deepest and lightest snow I ever skied, ever. I spent 8 years in Utah including the fabled 84/85 season.

70" overnight with an average density of about 4%.