Page 780 of 890 FirstFirst ... 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 ... LastLast
Results 19,476 to 19,500 of 22244
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Swimmy, your photos keep getting better and better.

RE: Lane Splitting. About a month ago I was sitting at a light on the Autobahn (Huffine or Jackrabbit, take your pick) and 2 motorcyclist split the lane to pass me. I was all WTF???? Then I remembered it is now legal here. Stupid but legal. So it goes.

Just back from a quick run down to a new site in Big Sky, tourist traffic hasn't really kicked in but holy shit was 191 packed, mainly with haul trucks and transfer or side dumps hauling material down to Big Sky. That and excavators. Buddy tried to rent a small full sized Ex 180-220 size, nothing available including the one he had reserved. He wanted one with a thumb cause he is planting a shitload of trees. He was lucky to get a leaky POS Case. Saw 2 full sized Exs from a Lewistown rental company turning into Big Sky. I didn't think shit could get any busier than 2 years ago and last year proved me wrong.
    Wasn't today Day #1 of the summer road work on Lone Mtn Trail? Figured it would be all fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    Hey thanks!

June in SW Montana NEVER disappoints. This morning was no exception.

Your shots have been excellent the last several posts.

It's GREEN AF out there right now and the hero dirt is all time. If you have a mountain bike go ride it. It's prime time right now. Flowers are popping very hard on the west side of the Bridgers. Ride now and hide inside if/when the heat and smoke shows up later this summer.

For what it's worth, lane splitting is safer than sitting in traffic (someone did a study in California that found as much, but I'm too lazy to try to find and link it). I'd assume it's more efficient overall as well, but I haven't seen any actual data on that.

Wasn't today Day #1 of the summer road work on Lone Mtn Trail? Figured it would be all fucked up.
    Sort of, they were laying a new coat of asphalt on a couple of places that were built shitty in the 1st place. The big construction work to put in the turn lane has yet to start.

Splitting: https://www.jdpower.com/motorcycles/...or-motorcycles

The thrust is that splitting is safer for motorcycles.... as long as they do it safely.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Seen hundreds of Texas plates in town the past year or two, but only a couple California plates. That whole CA thing is so overblown.
    Think it's maybe cuz Californicators were busy moving to/wrecking Texico before they came north? I'd bet there's a lot of that... Doesn't matter either way to me - I can't stand either. The world - it's a-changin'...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Think it's maybe cuz Californicators were busy moving to/wrecking Texico before they came north? I'd bet there's a lot of that... Doesn't matter either way to me - I can't stand either. The world - it's a-changin'...
    I don't think so. Purely anecdotal but most people I've met from Cali over the years have been pretty cool folks who moved here to do outdoor shit, same as me. New people I'm encountering around town tend to be obese over-tatted mangy-bearded coal-rolling wife-beater-wearing rednecks with an obnoxious drawl who moved here because they think it's a conservative stronghold.

Damn I'm not doing too well on my New Year's resolution to be a uniter not a divider. Enough already.

Another photo from today. Gonna try and catch a sunrise tomorrow and then see if I can hit some of those wildflowers in the next day or two.

Anyone been on the Bangtail?

Or Bracket? Stone?

Any reports?

A week ago, Stone Creek was dry to the top, but muddy and snowy as soon as the trees started if you continued past the fence area at the top of stone. The snow is probably a lot less now, but I bet there's still mud.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Rode 5.5 miles up from stone on Sunday (to the new growth tree section) and turned around. Trail looked good and clear of snow as far as I could see and the only bad mud was down at the last few switchbacks before the lot. I heard from some other riders that Grassy is mostly clear of snow but still wet/muddy.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Arrowhead Balsamroot.

I think I saw a wolf up there this morning. Am I crazy or can they be around there?

Wolves there for sure.

I've hiked and skied in that drainage and recognize the peaks... but something else is familiar about that exact spot, familiar from an old photograph... I am pretty sure that my folks got married standing right there!

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Wolves there for sure.
    Thanks! I got a couple really bad photos but I'm pretty sure it was a black wolf. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I am pretty sure that my folks got married standing right there!
    That is super cool. Great spot.

Quote Originally Posted by elesquiador View Post
    A week ago, Stone Creek was dry to the top, but muddy and snowy as soon as the trees started if you continued past the fence area at the top of stone. The snow is probably a lot less now, but I bet there's still mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnar_Shralp406 View Post
    Rode 5.5 miles up from stone on Sunday (to the new growth tree section) and turned around. Trail looked good and clear of snow as far as I could see and the only bad mud was down at the last few switchbacks before the lot. I heard from some other riders that Grassy is mostly clear of snow but still wet/muddy.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Thank you!

Seems to be fairly wet for the next week+. I'd probably give it a go next week but the forecast may foil that.

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Thank you!

Seems to be fairly wet for the next week+. I'd probably give it a go next week but the forecast may foil that.
    I rode up Brackett tonight. No snow to the usual out and back high point(a bit less than 4 miles up, elevation ~7250), but pretty wet. We were not leaving ruts, but there were definitely a couple exciting corners. Half a dozen or so down trees.

Any suggestions for a spot to camp June 24th weekend? Are they enforcing the no camping in the big sky lot? Would be nice to stay there. Truck camper.
    Or better of trying one of the moose flat. Swan creek or something like that?
    Any luck staying overnight in one of the trail heads in big sky? Feel free to pm me if that is easier. When I was down there skiing in February there seemed to be a fair number people camping in the lower lots with out problem.

Last summer they had a bunch of campsites set up in the upper lot on the west side, portapotty and all. Spent a few nights up there with my 12yr old to ride the bike park

Spoiled by a good winter and now spoiled by hero dirt everyday.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Damn as a kid who grew up farming and doing custom farm work for a long time this 1st picture brings me all sorts of joy.

Yeah that first pic is really cool. Nice work

This morning was moody. Loving all of the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    Hey thanks!
    wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Love this one!

Messing around with some new filters

From the fishing thread, my base camp for a few days.

^^^ sick!

Another absolutely primo morning ride today before the storm rolled through. The brown pow is in!!

I was planning to ride going to the sun road on a bike this weekend or next but they surprise opened it to cars today. A full month earlier than last year. Sucks!

Take heart, snow in the forecast early next week.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"