Page 677 of 891 FirstFirst ... 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 ... LastLast
Results 16,901 to 16,925 of 22262

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

There just isn’t a user base out here for late spring skiing, unlike Tahoe or SLC with huge population centers close by.

Not sure the Lone Peak snowpack would hold up to consistently make it more of a regular spring occurrence.

Still wondering when the next phase of ski resort development will occur in Montana and what form that will take.

FWIW I did hear from a friend who is closely tied into the resort that they are seriously considering staying open an extra month next season, conditions dependent.

I can see BS staying open later in the spring once the proposed gondola is operational for down loading to allow for skiing in the Bowl and possibly a few Andesite snow making trails. Most of the connector trails and lower mountain runouts melt quickly in the spring, this year not with standing.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    FWIW I did hear from a friend who is closely tied into the resort that they are seriously considering staying open an extra month next season, conditions dependent.

Yup, they posted that on social media.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    My landlord is forcing me into month to month rent. Any good rentals are found off market. If anyone has something or knows of something 2bd/2ba in Bozeman/4C/Gateway with some type of storage/garage let me know. A maggot offered a place in Livingston, but I need to be up in Big Sky for work too often that Livingston just doesn't make sense. Two employed sober tenants, with no pets.

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Just had my rent upped to $1,300 per month for a 1-bed… not happy about it.

Remote workers and tech bros can eat a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by East2West View Post
    Yup, they posted that on social media.
    Any idea when they posted that? I just scrolled back through several months of their social media posts and can't find any evidence of it.

Any idea when they posted that? I just scrolled back through several months of their social media posts and can't find any evidence of it.
    Yesterday in the comments.

^^Oh cool. Nice bonus for pass holders if that actually happens. Like Talisman said it would probably be just the bowl, but hell I'd go ski the bowl in May, why not.

Local landscraper contractors won't like that idea.

I sure as shit would love to do more spring skiing at the sky. I wonder if staffing is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Speaking of staffing...apparently they are turning half the Huntley Lodge (the unrenovated half, ~70 rooms) into single-occupancy housing for their "best" employees. Seems like a crazy amount of revenue to take off the bottom line, but I guess that's how desperate they are for workers.

^ i believe it. there is nowhere to live in bozeman, imagine big sky. i think eventually they will all have to go to free housing w 25$+ per hr job rates.

we just hired an am dishwasher, stand around half the day, private club, 21$+ per hr. free food, drink. the most chill work environment. she lasted 3 shifts and quit. 43G per yr job. couldn't be bothered. we are doomed as a species

Anyone remember the June opening in like 2001?

I still have the paper ticket somewhere. It was June 14th I think. Snowed a foot in town, broke a bunch of trees n stuff. Ski hill got two feet and they opened Swifty and Gondy One.

I was a teen then. My friend and I got tired of the core shots and took a break alongside Mr K. We built a Snow Woman with giant tits. A prominent patroller skied down and pinned their badge to the sculpture, which adorned the massive cleavage for the rest of the day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220531_203956.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	417840

Yeah, I remember that, I was in school at MSU then.

Set the way back machine to spring 1997. @ Big Sky we stayed open until Memorial day, weekends only. Staffing was a bitch, the skiing was mediocre and the thin crowds didn't make it even close to break even.

Fast fwd to spring 2011, we talked the MLB GM into keeping 6-shooter and Headwaters open only for a few weekends into May. The staffing was manageable, the skiing was excellent up high and some of the biggest crowds ever, we even re-opened Lone Tree for the last weekend. We probably broke even.

"If" Big Sky could keep the overhead low and if the snow cooperates I think there is enough demand to make it a pretty cool idea.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Seems like a crazy amount of revenue to take off the bottom line, but I guess that's how desperate they are for workers.
    The trade off with revenue loss from lack of workers must make it an attractive alternative. Lack of water, lack of labor and lack of affordable housing are three huge issues in Big Sky. I wonder how the new "One and Only" hotel will get staffed without making the staffing shortage worse. I heard about some of the staffing struggles at the Montage this past season.

On a smaller scale but who is going to work at Whole Foods unless Amazon is building their own employee housing or the starting wage will be $25/hour.

It's possible Big Sky will be able to fill the remaining Huntley rooms with guests at twice the price and make up the revenue that way. Scarcity creates demand. Plus they won't have to invest in the previously planned second phase of the renovation. So yeah, it probably makes sense. Single Huntley room on the mountain all winter would be a big draw for some people to work there, I would think.

That One and Only thing sounds like a debacle in the making, especially with a teetering economy. If they're not building enough employee housing to fully staff the place then they are fools.

Wait, Big Sky is making positive decisions for the local community and low income workers?

That’s quite a change from recent events.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That One and Only thing sounds like a debacle in the making, especially with a teetering economy. If they're not building enough employee housing to fully staff the place then they are fools.
    In the intermountain west conventional economic rules don't apply especially Big Sky, Blixeth and Dolan taught us that.

Single Huntley room on the mountain all winter would be a big draw for some people to work there, I would think.
    What makes you certain they will be single or private rooms? That sounds totally un-Boyne.

RE: O&O, I walked away from that project last August. It cost me LML as a client and I lost 10 projects in addition to the O&O. It was one of the best decisions of my life. My schedule filled right back in except that I doubled what I charge.

ETA: Just saw a blurb about the new tram. From 850 skiers a day to around 4000 skiers a day. That will leave a mark.
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 06-01-2022 at 05:39 PM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    What makes you certain they will be single or private rooms? That sounds totally un-Boyne.

RE: O&O, I walked away from that project last August. It cost me LML as a client and I lost 10 projects in addition to the O&O. It was one of the best decisions of my life. My schedule filled right back in except that I doubled what I charge.

ETA: Just saw a blurb about the new tram. From 850 skiers a day to around 4000 skiers a day. That will leave a mark.
    Where was that blurb about the new tram?

Montana Lodging available

Montana Mags, maybe this is as good a place to post as any... Per WRG's post, I have a 2br 1ba basement apartment available in July in Livingston. Loads of natural lighting, cool in summer, warm from the heated unit above in winter. Cool 1920's house, basement apartment just completed last September. Here is the crux of the biscuit however - The basement is very acoustically connected to the upstairs house. Like really connected. When I was living in the upstairs here over last winter, I was on the same schedule as my tenant, early to bed, up early ish, no TV in either unit, and I walked softly on the hardwood floors. However, I turned the upstairs over to AirBnB in April. I suppose unsurprisingly, the upstairs short term tenants all use the house like they are on vacation - not necessarily partying, but awake and vacationing. Current tenant says loudest use periods are from 8pm - 2am - having dinner, coming home from bars. So, person/people should probably have some kind of restaurant/bar worker schedule, and not have a 6am wake up time. Its a really cool place, and during the non-rental season, either nobody is home above, or I am, and I'm super respectful of the noise transmission During the summer rental season, you may need earplugs and a white noise generator. Or maybe that shit doesn't bother you. I confess that I would really really prefer a basement tenant without a TV habit, because I fucking hate hearing other people's TVs, but that may be asking a lot. I'll be back to MT early June, but my property manager can show it anytime. Let me know! T

edit - um, yeah, need some pricing info - currently rented at 1k/mo plus utilities. Planning on keeping that the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4126.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	440.5 KB 
ID:	417898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4125.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	486.2 KB 
ID:	417899Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4124.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	495.2 KB 
ID:	417900Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4119.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	503.3 KB 
ID:	417901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4132.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	573.0 KB 
ID:	417902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5881.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	944.0 KB 
ID:	417906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5878.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	417907
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Where was that blurb about the new tram?
    KBZK news at 6 with Donna Kelly.