Page 682 of 884 FirstFirst ... 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 ... LastLast
Results 17,026 to 17,050 of 22100
    It's surprising he missed his line since it's actually a pretty easy one. He hung on and had a solid roll so makes me think he knows what he's doing to some extent. Overall the mad mile at that flow is class 5 in terms of swimming consequences but the moves are all relatively easy when you're at a certain skill level.

This landslide in Washington on the Naches River occurred in October 2009. They had a temporary road up within two months before Thanksgiving. A permanent fix was completed by 2012 and involved carving a new channel for the river.

The washouts around Yellowstone are much more extensive and appear to be a much more difficult to repair. But they also are much more critical to the economy there than highway 410 into Yakima, which has multiple other options.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    If anyone hears of any volunteer assistance needed type stuff please share it here.

Cut and paste from a YNP forum:

"Here are the short and long-term objectives we've set and will be focused on as a park for recovery:

• Ensure safety of employees and visitors

• Implement full visitor closure of the northern loop (completed yesterday)

• Implement full visitor closure of the southern loop (ongoing target completion today)

• Implement full visitor closure of the backcountry (in process)

• Evaluate needs for backcountry evacuations (begin today - assess how many people are in the backcountry, evacuation plan)

• Improve Old Gardiner Road (work should begin on this today or tomorrow once precipitation subsides. Plan will be to use this road for admin travel and to evacuate visitors from Gardiner should Hwy 89 remain impassable)

• Restore power to northern Yellowstone sites and Canyon, Lake, and Norris (Northwestern Energy working on this now and are saying should be restored today)

• Evacuate Gardiner visitors through Old Gardiner Road if necessary (likely Thursday or Friday if possible and if Hwy 89 is not open)

• Support Gardiner residents with resupply of food, water and medicine (we will be working with the Gardiner Market and others to determine needs of the community. We may bring supply trucks to Mammoth and fly supplies to Gardiner using the park's aircraft and potentially National Guard air support; working with county and state)

• Support isolated NPS residents at NE entrance with resupply through aircraft when necessary (employees at NE entrance are sheltering in place, we are in contact with them and will gauge their needs to provide assistance. They are cut off from Cooke City)

• Provide support to Cooke City residents as necessary

• Mitigate wastewater impacts of destroyed sewer lines in Gardiner and Mammoth (ongoing)

• Relocate all Mammoth-based concessions employees to properties on the southern loop (happening today and tomorrow)

• Halt and redirect any inbound employees hired to work in Mammoth or Tower who haven't arrived yet

• Support employees who lost housing in Gardiner (multiple actions)

• Prepare for outside teams to travel to Yellowstone and assist with damage assessments when water recedes (mixture of Federal Highways, NPS, and other)

• Prepare strategy for reservation system for southern loop for remainder of the year (we will not allow full visitation into the southern loop when it reopens and are working on options to control the amount of visitors who can enter the park; southern loop will likely not open for another 5 days at minimum)

• Develop long-term reconstruction strategy based on damage assessments; funding strategies TBD with region/WASO/DOI

• Continue substantive communications with gateway communities, congressional and DOI/NPS leadership

• Continue media outreach

I'll get back to you more later as we get more organized - Thanks"

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Classic reddit comments there. BuT WHaT AbouT ThE FiRsT ResPondERS?>!>!?

Anyone know what happened to the Boulder River valley?

The aftermath in downtown Red Lodge. My mom was born and raised there, and I have extensive family who are still there. Its crushing to see this happening in one of my favorite places.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Lodge Aftermath.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	418871
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Time to do some panning?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Pretty neat disappearing/reappearing magic trick.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    The aftermath in downtown Red Lodge. My mom was born and raised there, and I have extensive family who are still there. Its crushing to see this happening in one of my favorite places.

Name:	Red Lodge Aftermath.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	418871
    River jump the bank on that one?

Holy fuck. That's hard to imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    River jump the bank on that one?
    And then some.

Under normal circumstances, Rock Creek basically turns northeast near the south end of town, continues northeast for a bit, and then mostly northward.

Yesterday, it went full send and skipped the turn, from the aerial views it looks like there was significant moving water two, maybe three blocks from the creek's normal channel; the less-exciting but not-good-for-basements stuff looks like it went even further.

One of the Prerogative Kitchen employees had to break a window to escape after finding 10" of water in his apartment (I'm assuming it was below-grade). That one hits a little close to home for me, as I spent almost four years in a basement apartment without a legal egress (ie if I couldn't get up the stairs, I was going to have to force my way through a casement window that probably hadn't been opened in decades).

The Community Foundation is taking donations to the disaster relief fund:
    https://www.rlacf.org/donate-2/local...disaster-fund/

The Prerogative Kitchen folks have a GoFundMe going; in addition to the guy who broke out of his apartment with just the clothes he managed to put on and his phone, they have other folks who have lost their housing and property. They did locate the car of the guy who had to break through the window, but I'm guessing it doesn't run very well right now.

https://gofund.me/acd4726b

Yankee Jim opened to emergency services and residents this afternoon. The road base wasn't destroyed. I was evacuated last night. Pretty wild, but flows are back down. Clean up is going to be a bitch

I watched the Red Lodge community meeting on Facebook tonight. Water is on west of Broadway, with efforts underway to place temporary lines east of Broadway until the broken mains can be addressed. Boil advisory remains in effect, but no contamination has been identified yet. Further testing is pending.

District ranger reported extensive damage to roads and bridges throughout the area, set an expectation for it to be years before they can get everything repaired. He ran through a bunch of areas and damage, got to the Stillwater drainage, paused and put it quite succinctly, but I can't remember if he said "it's bad" or "it's a mess."

Road between town and the pass is washed out, so they haven't even begun to check for likely damage up there.

They also showed more drone footage of the flooding; the southeast portion of town got hit really hard.

Full stream is available via the Carbon Alert page if you're interested.

And Yellowstone has posted that it will be entirely closed through at least this weekend, and that people shouldn't expect the northern portion of the Park to reopen this summer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

My Stillwater relatives are safe at least, with a good bit of water damage to the house but far far better than it could have been. House was tarped and sandbagged at entrances.

Lots of significant landscape structures just gone with no trace.

Vibes to all of our friends that have been affected. I don't think we are done yet as still a lot of snow left. Insane compared to where we were three months ago.

Those Bitterroot numbers are impressive...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Those Bitterroot numbers are impressive...
    And the Smith!

Probably some baseline effects. I suspect whatever Bitteroot snotel they use must be 0 by now most years. 2000% of 5 or 6 inches maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    Probably some baseline effects. I suspect whatever Bitteroot snotel they use must be 0 by now most years. 2000% of 5 or 6 inches maybe?
    Yep.

Name:	snotel-bitterroot.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	418928

Billings water plant shut down.

It's going to be 96F there on Friday.

The road to Spotted Bear along Hungry horse reservoir is washed out in a spot about half way down.