Page 586 of 891 FirstFirst ... 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 ... LastLast
Results 14,626 to 14,650 of 22259
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahyawnson View Post
    While the intent is clearly well-meaning, be aware that this thread has 2,647,806 views. Anything shared here has a way of not being off the beaten path for long. Especially now that the weekend camping spots don't really exist (<50 mi outside of Bozeman) anymore if you don't have a rig w/ some 4x4 capabilities.
    Luckily I more options off the beaten pass as I am out of Helena. Although I realize most folks here are bozeman folks. I was really hoping for something in the pintlers but a lot of it is wilderness. I need to look into the rocky front and/or lincoln as well.

Another fatal grizzly attack, this time near Ovando. RIP

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/griz...150447089.html

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Damn. Sounds like they were closer to town and not out at some remote campsite in the NF?

Hard to say without knowing the details, but the Harry Morgan FAS on the North Fork Blackfoot is only a few miles away from Ovando. There's a campground at the put-in and it could have been there. We float that upper Blackfoot a lot because of its proximity to Helena and there have been griz sightings around the Aunt Molly fishing access site near Helmville for several years. They're all over in there now, and the Avon Valley too.

Missoula tv news showed the entrance to Ovando blocked by officials. Sounds like it was the city camping location. I've napped there before. A teepee, a "jail"and a sheep herders wagon. Only a guess, but I don't remember door on the teepee. I could see a bear wandering into it for food. Sucks for the cyclists and their group. Also sucks for Ovando as they are really known on the Tour Divide for their sleeping hospitality.

Edit #2, confirmed to be a female in a tent, in town. So sad to hear about it. The Ovando person that is known for her Tour Divide love is devastated. So sad for all involved.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Iowagriz; 07-06-2021 at 07:37 PM.

guys ,

Yahoo article states twice it happened in town - in Ovando --

a village of less than 100 people, it does not seem difficult to believe that bears are in the campground.

Bad deal all around.

Condolences to his Family and friends and companions... skiJ

Anyone knowledgable on the west side of the tobacco roots? Looking for some beta on the road to boulder lakes.

Wow. CrossHarbor (YC) buys the marlboro ranch.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...owstone%20club

I've always thought the ranch was pretty weird in terms of marketing and promotions. They say they're going to keep it as a guest ranch.

My working theory is they bought it to leverage the Crazy Mountain in-holdings for USFS land swaps near the YC. Or a heliski OP and dude ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    My working theory is they bought it to leverage the Crazy Mountain in-holdings for USFS land swaps near the YC. Or a heliski OP and dude ranch.
    Absofreakingloutly.

Is Ducuennois lurking around here? Fess up Mike!

That fucking sucks.

Yeah it sucks. As bad as a ranch owned by a corporation that pedaled toxic and addictive products and used that ranch to pimp their poisons?

Debatable.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Oh the ranch was likely worse, it just in general sucks.

Some real nice riding lately. West Pine to North Dry is sick af

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Did you drive to the trailhead? Is that road still fucked up?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Did you drive to the trailhead? Is that road still fucked up?
    Parked on trail creek rd where it meets North Dry and rode it as a loop. Definitely some larger ruts on the N. Dry road, west pine road was pretty smooth.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Welp. Two helicopters on this- hope they get it handled before the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    Welp. Two helicopters on this- hope they get it handled before the afternoon.

Damn. Maybe some roadside campers or something caused it?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Damn. Maybe some roadside campers or something caused it?
    There’s a wide spot in the road by the reclaimed mine, but its not the first place I’d think to camp. There’s a house right across the road. Five or so fires comprising 10 acres according to the local news. Reported at 5:15 this AM.

Yeah, was looking at the sat images trying to figure out why anyone would be hanging around that old mine. Hopefully they get it under control. That flightradar24 site is interesting. Looks like a prop plane just flying in circles and a helicopter hovering right in the center.

A Rockwell 690A is a Twin Commander, a fairly high performance airplane. The wing is up high so good for looking down, probably decent loiter/range, etc. Commonly used as the Air Attack air boss to coordinate where people drop, who's on scene, get a temporary flight restriction going if needed, yell at anybody who breaches the TFR, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    A Rockwell 690A is a Twin Commander, a fairly high performance airplane. The wing is up high so good for looking down, probably decent loiter/range, etc. Commonly used as the Air Attack air boss to coordinate where people drop, who's on scene, get a temporary flight restriction going if needed, yell at anybody who breaches the TFR, etc.
    all of that true, altho Ralph Lauren had one back in the day as his family/biz plane. ( i cant remember why i know this, mayb someone used that in marketing in a trade a plane ad).... So, could be a rubbernecker too. Like same type person that would be watching a neighbor's lawn. whatever the case, the fuel burn is steep on that bird so don't expect them to linger forever, unless they on the govt's dime. then they would be there indefinitely
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Definitely gov dime, likely Forest Service contract. I work ATC in SoCal foothill areas that like to catch fire, and I talk to the Twin Commander guys a fair bit cuz they tend to set up shop just outside my airspace.

Was driving through Helena last week and saw one of the 10 Tanker DC-10 very large air tankers parked there, so they're available if needed.

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Bob Hoover could definitely get high performance out of a twin commander.
    Last edited by Shredhead; 07-15-2021 at 05:37 PM.

Things are getting sorta scary. I was at a job site on the north side of Lone Mtn today and the creeks that normally have water in them this time of year have dried up.