Page 683 of 884 FirstFirst ... 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 ... LastLast
Results 17,051 to 17,075 of 22084
    Heard about this house on Boston NPR today. They interviewed some hiker who got stuck in town and joined the locals to watch it fall.

Dumb interview, although he said a local church provided dinner, breakfast, and a roof to sleep under for stranded travelers.. so that's cool.

Crazy footage / event. Hope any local maggot properties are safe and sound!

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    The east bank of the G at Williams bridge is still being actively undermined by the river, hope it stays shiny side up through the next spike. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	williams.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	419035

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    The east bank of the G at Williams bridge is still being actively undermined by the river, hope it stays shiny side up through the next spike. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	williams.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	419035
    I sit and have coffee by that bridge. And sleep there sometimes. Peaceful place

Simple little thing to help if you have time to kill this afternoon. Goes until 6pm tonight. I'll be at the 19th street store.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220616-153810_rif is fun.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	419086

Helena Habitat for Humanity is organizing a group of volunteers to go to Red Lodge and help with general cleanup, after the emergency response winds down. They have some home projects being built there in partnership with a Red Lodge group (none of their homes were damaged). I'm sure they would welcome volunteers from anywhere. Sign up at the link.

https://helenahabitat.org/

To all of the Montana Mags, You'll be made whole again! Your Governor is slowly making his way back from Tuscany. Sounds like you Lt. Governor is on top of it.

Good luck out there everyone.

as mentioned vermont only got back up and running quickly due to the state cutting all red tape. We were suddenly able to pull materials out of pits ACT 250 had closed on us, we were allowed in rivers in machines to clear debris, and the state was writing checks just as fast as excavation companies could bill. Casella and the army corp put rt 4 back to working order in astonishing time, but there were 100 guys 24 hours a day. Dover and wardsboro by mount snow were a island for almost a month. Ten years later, it’s almost forgotten by many.

if companies need help out there, post up links. I’d get a flight tomorrow.

and side thought… hopefully MT government reaches out to all the mines down in that area. They are the ones with the equipment to deal with that. When I was building GUSA in Alder, we would do anything for the county and state, we just needed to stay in good standing so we could continue getting permits.
    Last edited by SoVT Joey; 06-19-2022 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Good luck out there everyone.

as mentioned vermont only got back up and running quickly due to the state cutting all red tape. We were suddenly able to pull materials out of pits ACT 250 had closed on us, we were allowed in rivers in machines to clear debris, and the state was writing checks just as fast as excavation companies could bill. Casella and the army corp put rt 4 back to working order in astonishing time, but there were 100 guys 24 hours a day. Dover and wardsboro by mount snow were a island for almost a month. Ten years later, it’s almost forgotten by many.

if companies need help out there, post up links. I’d get a flight tomorrow.

and side thought… hopefully MT government reaches out to all the mines down in that area. They are the ones with the equipment to deal with that. When I was building GUSA in Alder, we would do anything for the county and state, we just needed to stay in good standing so we could continue getting permits.
    Re mines, the Stillwater complex was in one of the harder hit river valleys. They're in the process of building a temporary road to replace the one to the mine area that washed out, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of their resources leveraged further after they get that project done.

At the state level, I'd expect that regulations for rebuilding will be minimal, the current governor doesn't like regulations any more than he likes liberal reporters. I'm curious to see what kind of flexibility the feds show in Yellowstone and the CGNF. I have no idea if NEPA has emergency bypass procedures.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Re mines, the Stillwater complex was in one of the harder hit river valleys. They're in the process of building a temporary road to replace the one to the mine area that washed out, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of their resources leveraged further after they get that project done.

At the state level, I'd expect that regulations for rebuilding will be minimal, the current governor doesn't like regulations any more than he likes liberal reporters. I'm curious to see what kind of flexibility the feds show in Yellowstone and the CGNF. I have no idea if NEPA has emergency bypass procedures.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

ya. I started thinking about that. The feds are the most likely week link and they will find a way to red tape any forward progress, just like normal. It’s a terrible situation, as much as I can’t stand tourists, just like here in vermont they are a dire necessity out there as well. dam their money.

Ok, who's ready to accept this climate change thing might be a problem? And, like, maybe we ought to do something to keep it from getting worse?

"Even as scientists and land managers are taken aback by the magnitude of the floods, unprecedented in 100 years of recorded history, they recognize the similarities to the events their data predicted. They just weren’t anticipating them to occur this year.
    “As a scientist I would say, well, this is completely in line with what we might expect,” says Cathy Whitlock, a paleoclimatologist and lead author of the Greater Yellowstone Climate Assessment, the first such report ever done on an ecosystem. “As a human being I would say I'm shocked.”"

https://api.nationalgeographic.com/d...-happening-now

It is climate.

Having lived through a couple mind bending natural disasters here in my hometown I can say the damage takes years and years and years to rebuild and nothing will ever be as it was. Mentally it takes a toll as well. Flooding on an epic scale really blows circuits in the mind. Heavy rain always triggers those memories. Our derecho means I can never look at a storm front and shrug my shoulders again. Something a lifetime of plains storms taught me, respect but don't panic, undone in an hour.

This sucks for that whole region. Exactly a year ago the wild fires were raging above Red Lodge. Trauma on top of trauma.

My thoughts are with the entire effected region.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    It is climate.

Having lived through a couple mind bending natural disasters here in my hometown I can say the damage takes years and years and years to rebuild and nothing will ever be as it was. Mentally it takes a toll as well. Flooding on an epic scale really blows circuits in the mind. Heavy rain always triggers those memories. Our derecho means I can never look at a storm front and shrug my shoulders again. Something a lifetime of plains storms taught me, respect but don't panic, undone in an hour.

This sucks for that whole region. Exactly a year ago the wild fires were raging above Red Lodge. Trauma on top of trauma.

My thoughts are with the entire effected region.
    Watching from afar is tough for me after living through a similar event in Vermont. I want to be there in person and help haul muck and sandbags and everything else, but that's not happening.

I have sent a couple of donations, but speaking of fires and floods, I'm also hoping that they'll restock the large benefit shirts:

https://www.crazycreek.com/collectio...42027058004157

Saw a story on the news last night about 40 Bobcat football players who went down and were shoveling muck and whatnot.

Could just be a summer thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1931.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	419467

Had a nice ridge walk on Sunday, and found a single, 180cm Atomic Vantage Ti.

Will contact BB about getting it into the lost and found bin.

Still enough snow in places up there for a few funky summer turns!

Name:	IMG_1934.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	419468

Saturday was a mission into the T Roots for some steeper stuff.

Name:	IMG_1889.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	419469

Name:	IMG_1894.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	419470

Name:	IMG_1899.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	419471

^nice!!

Nice stoke Sup. Seeing some dudes on the trail who just skied the Blaze on Saturday I suddenly got pretty envious. Stupid injury.

Was at a get together late yesterday to celebrate the life of a friend who passed on last November, RIP Shawn.

Was talking with one of the Mtn ops managers from Big Sky and I asked what was going on with the former Gold parking lot. Saw a guy laying out large rectangles on it.

It will be RV and van parking for overnight stays this summer. I asked about next winter.

Sounds like that will be possible as well. Stay tuned.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Was at a get together late yesterday to celebrate the life of a friend who passed on last November, RIP Shawn.

Was talking with one of the Mtn ops managers from Big Sky and I asked what was going on with the former Gold parking lot. Saw a guy laying out large rectangles on it.

It will be RV and van parking for overnight stays this summer. I asked about next winter.

Sounds like that will be possible as well. Stay tuned.
    That's what I sort of referenced a few posts above. I'm guessing the lot where everyone camps now will be no more. Pay to park RV/Van or GTFO.

Has fairy lake road opened to the upper lot yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    That's what I sort of referenced a few posts above. I'm guessing the lot where everyone camps now will be no more. Pay to park RV/Van or GTFO.
    BSOA has very strict regulations in regards to RV parking/camping. Pretty much has to be the former Gold lot as the camping area so in a a lefthanded way you are spot on.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Is the current van lot just bsoa looking the other way? Just letting it go or?