Page 604 of 890 FirstFirst ... 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 ... LastLast
Results 15,076 to 15,100 of 22244
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    RIP Shawn, you were a helluva ski patroller and a good guy to share a cold chair ride with.
    Depression sucks.

Buddy told me the news at work tonight. I was just thinking the other day, how I hadn't gotten that type of phone call or that news in a while.

Helluva of a good guy is an understatement. Depression sucks.
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

Whole bunch of people skiing by on the Ramcharger webcam this morning, must be employees/instructors etc.? In any case it got me kind of psyched just to see 'em. Looking forward to opening weekend. Seems like the coverage is very thin down low but could be okay up in the Bowl..

Racer training.

It won't be the WROD but it looks to be sunny and nice and not much more natural falling til after Turkey day.

Still trying to decide whether to go down to BS, skin at BB or go for a Copper City lap.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Great Divide opening the WROD 12-4 today.

Looks like a regular weekday from 10 years ago.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Little ripper grabbed the first public chair of the 21-22 Montana ski season. Took about 30 minutes for somebody to get hurt and give patrol the opportunity to put their toboggan skills to use. Did not look serious fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Little ripper grabbed the first public chair of the 21-22 Montana ski season.
    Awesome that Yeahripper got first chair of the season! Thanks for sharing the stoke, though the slopes look a little "lonely."

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Awesome that Yeahripper got first chair of the season! Thanks for sharing the stoke, though the slopes look a little "lonely."
    Nah not my kid just some rando. We were a few back.

Pretty good skiing on the ramp and apron this weekend. Somehow alpine is skiable to the upper lot. That 1” ice crust is doing wonders down low Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE8A5310-1D42-46DE-B311-7CD2E9AEBCEF.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	903.6 KB 
ID:	393551
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53A09576-E6A3-41CF-86A8-BB06619B037D.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	685.7 KB 
ID:	393552  

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Been posted before but I don't know which page. Bozeman dentist recco?

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Been posted before but I don't know which page. Bozeman dentist recco?
    Highly recommend the chick in Big Sky.

http://www.mountainpearlsdentistry.com

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeR.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	704.3 KB 
ID:	393623

Sick Ted!! I took a bunch of neighbor kids up yesterday. Very low expectations, plus a couple of them were unknowns, new kids that moved to the neighborhood and I wasn't sure of the skill level so I planned to take it super easy. They new ones were dying on the way up, laying in the snow, sweaty messes. But we got up and built a fun jump. Then my kids went and found a pretty sick pow run while I hung with the new kids and got them their first ever pow turns. Suddenly they were stoked!! They hiked a couple more mini runs and now they want to go again. I couldn't believe how good the skiing was with how little snow there was. I freaking love early season low tide shredding. And I was pretty proud of all the fellas, we kept it super safe and in control, and I taught them a thing or two about reading the low snow and where to turn. Super rewarding day when I figured we would just be hanging out on the lower snow patch with all the college kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Highly recommend the chick in Big Sky.

http://www.mountainpearlsdentistry.com
    +1, Dr Chapman is expensive but really knows her way around dentistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredeagle View Post

Name:	FullSizeR.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	704.3 KB 
ID:	393623
    Fabulous stoke picture and wonderful you got the neighborhood kids to hike for early turns.

looks like 3-6" up high tomorrow night

Starting to feel desperate, could use a miracle dump. RLM opening on time but barely. One lift one run. Careful out there.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks for dental recs guys. Sounds like Chapman is good.

I have an appt at MT Ski Tuning and Boot Fitting in 2 weeks (earliest I could get) for a complete new boot setup. Will report back to the mags. Sounds like everyone has been happy so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Notchtop View Post
    Starting to feel desperate, could use a miracle dump. RLM opening on time but barely. One lift one run. Careful out there.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Patience, a slow start typically leads to a strong season...

Name:	off01_prcp.gif 
Views:	97 
Size:	798.6 KB 
ID:	393712

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

According to my completely unscientific observations, the November/December drought has been in effect for about 3-4 years running in the Bridgers.

Does the fact that we have less snow on the ground bode well for the seasonal snowpack structure at BBowl?

Depends on how long the limited snow we do have sits and facets on north/east facing slopes. A bunch of consistently steady snowfalls and moderate temps could heal it.

The again, less consistent snow and a plunge into frigid temps would most certainly be a bad omen, resulting in a very weak pack all over.

What about the Tobacco Roots? They have been hammered with early snowfall compared to the other ranges. That’s a more complex issue. The crew at Bell Lake hopes to report back next week after some poking around.

If you're wondering how we are comparing to previous years, play around with this tool from SNOTEL (this is Brackett Creek)

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/W...t%20Creek.html

Brackett Creek SNOTEL is only a smidge under median, same with Lone Peak and Shower Falls. Albro Lake looks to be just above median. So I don't think it's time to panic just yet. We really are just one good storm away from being at or above median. It's taken me almost 20 years to lose the SWMT early season drought angst. I try not to worry until at least christmas (or like last year, a delayed BB opening).

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    If you're wondering how we are comparing to previous years, play around with this tool from SNOTEL (this is Brackett Creek)

Thanks for sharing, this is a sweet visualization. Had not seen it previously
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Looks like I'll be on the WROD and trying that fancy ass new chair on Turkey day for a few hours in the AM. Ask for change.

Brackett Creek SNOTEL is only a smidge under median, same with Lone Peak and Shower Falls. Albro Lake looks to be just above median. So I don't think it's time to panic just yet. We really are just one good storm away from being at or above median. It's taken me almost 20 years to lose the SWMT early season drought angst. I try not to worry until at least christmas (or like last year, a delayed BB opening).
    Interesting graphic, thx.

A fellow USDA data enthusiast! I'm a big fan of using SNOTEL data to convince myself that there's time for it to get better, it's already really good, or "huh, that was, in fact, a rough season". It can be used to address all of the common emotions encountered during a ski season.
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Interesting graphic, thx.
    Trackhead, where in Montana are you located, now? I just remember consistently using your observations while I was living in the Wasatch. You still getting after it like you did before? Or has fatherhood made you into the fat, lazy shit that all of us seemingly have the potential to become?
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.