Page 708 of 891 FirstFirst ... 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 ... LastLast
Results 17,676 to 17,700 of 22273
    Gave that sled the Viking send off. RIP indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by usdatele View Post
    Ha! Literally backed it off the trailer n turned it around. Parking brake was off, n even if it was siezed, wouldn't have heated to spontaneous combustion that quick. Forest service special investigation unit is on it. They're even working in shifts!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I worked for the FS and have had 2 employees do that trick so I was curious. One of ‘em burned up and sank in a lake.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by usdatele View Post
    Ya, 15 m8. RIP thunderpussy. I think something shorted or a wire got chewed on to send a spark. Thing ran awesome 80% of the time. 20% wicked frustrating.

Hope challenger will turn tomorrow! Nothing like early season rocky bumps to wake the legs up.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Rip

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Looks to be a good opening day down in the really big.

Challenger & north aspects seemed active judging by results. Stay light on your skis and cut it up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brt_11.22.22.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	435146
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Another over producer? Nuking in 4corners.

Have fun BS peep

Not to take anything away from Tom cause he was a big part of the Tram construction but I really hope that author takes the time to talk to Yunce.

He played a major role in the south face expansion as did a lot of us, but it was him who laid out the original control routes and skied a lot of that terrain long before the Tram was even a concept. He has patrolled at the really big since about 1979 and is still there providing his unique perspectives on Lone Mountain.

There’s not much – if any – terrain on Lone Peak that’s not skied right now, said Jon Ueland, who has served on the ski patrol since 1979. Patrollers have monitored snow at all of the high-alpine areas for years in order to keep the lower elevation areas safe.

Ueland found his way to Big Sky Resort the way that many people find their way to Big Sky – a friend couldn’t stop talking about the skiing and had a couch for crashing.

“I came out the first of March in ‘77 and helped him work as a ski bum,” said Ueland, known among the patrollers as “Yunce.”

Back then, all the expert terrain off of the Challenger chairlift was hike-to-only, he said. Skiers used to sign out in the Spring and hike to the top of Lone Peak to descend the south summit. Now, the summit is a short tram ride away.

Those first winter seasons he worked as a maid for one of the local rental companies, then a dishwasher at Bucks T-4. His third year, he managed to get a spot on Big Sky’s professional ski patrol. Back then there were four chairlifts. The resort added the Mad Wolf chairlift on the backside of Andesite and therefore the resort increased the number of patrollers to 15, which is how Ueland got hired.

Today, Big Sky Resort has 106 professional patrollers and a 150 volunteer ski patrol. It’s often referred to as the largest ski patrol in the country. When Ueland began in 1979, patrollers only needed advanced first aid. Now, every patroller – both professional and volunteer – must be an Emergency Medical Technician.

Big Sky Resort couldn’t compare to the 200 vertical feet at Bottineau Winter Park, the ski area Ueland patrolled in North Dakota. Today, Big Sky Resort’s vertical is 4,350 feet.

“When I started, it was a smaller community who lived and worked here,” Ueland said. “Hardly anyone commuted from Bozeman. Now about half of the patrollers probably commute from Bozeman.”

The biggest milestones in Big Sky Resort’s history varies depending on whom you ask.

If you were to ask Ueland, he’d say the installation of the Challenger chairlift. It really put Big Sky on the map in terms of expert terrain, he said.

If you were to ask Indreland, she’d say the construction of the Summit Hotel. When the hotel was built in 2000, it was the largest tourism project in Montana. It brought an additional couple hundred new rooms to the base of the mountain, which meant more skiers.

That’s what Ueland sees as the driving force behind future expansions of the patrol – number of skiers on the mountain as opposed to additional terrain.

Others may point to the installation of the tram to the 11,166-foot Lone Peak summit – which was monumental at that time in that it doubled the resort’s size – or perhaps the joining of Big Sky Resort and Moonlight Basin in 2013.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Showdown opener looks promising considering it’s early season.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Waddup homies.

Super fun out there today. One of the better opening days I can remember.

Let's do this

Daaaaamn!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Shhhhhwwweeeett

Probably gonna crank out an early bird turkey lap tomorrow at BS and then go have festivities … anybody who wants to take a lap gimme a shout

That’s one of the best openers I can remember. Bombing fresh pow down soul hole and rice bowl. Tons of sick chally runs. Catching ram charger not too long after opening. Skiing with a bunch of amped up groms. Stoke!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn good day riding the lifts. Even scored a free muffin in line.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

One more, just cause skiing low angle pow before Thanksgiving is fun.

So good.

Great pictures.

Damn bruh. Woot!

Schwiiing!

Sun dawgs and powder hounds all having fun today. Happy Thanksgiving y’all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dayumm.

Sick. Envious of you big sky folks. Whitefish could still use a couple decent storms.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Hell yeah. Looks like the stoke meter is pinned! Happy Turkey Day everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    So good.

That's damn near perfect.
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx