Page 627 of 891 FirstFirst ... 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 ... LastLast
Results 15,651 to 15,675 of 22259
    Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    I'm looking at possibly doing a ski/see part of the country trip in March with one of my kids or the whole family. My son (13) skis anything I do and more. While we love soft cruisers we also like steps, trees and most anything not requiring air to enter. My daughter (13) and wife are green and mild blue skiers who do not want anything exciting.

Before Covid, my son and I hit Wolf Creek and Monarch in Southern CO and had a blast skiing smaller off the beaten path ski areas.

I'm tossing around the idea of stringing together a few of the smaller Montana ski areas and had never heard of Great Divide. If anyone could give me a short overview of the area, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Great divide is low tide place but great family chill vibe….also Showdown is very similar. Neither get much snow. Discovery is also nearby.

Great Divide.
    It's the local Helena hill, pretty affordable, nothing epic, fun on a powder day but does get scoured by the winds blowing over the Continental Divide so it can be pretty scrappy sometimes. Bills itself as "Montana's Sunniest Ski Area" which speaks to their marketing genius and general philosophy of making the best of what they have. No steeps but fun groomers and tree skiing.

I'm looking at possibly doing a ski/see part of the country trip in March with one of my kids or the whole family. My son (13) skis anything I do and more. While we love soft cruisers we also like steps, trees and most anything not requiring air to enter. My daughter (13) and wife are green and mild blue skiers who do not want anything exciting.

Before Covid, my son and I hit Wolf Creek and Monarch in Southern CO and had a blast skiing smaller off the beaten path ski areas.

I'm tossing around the idea of stringing together a few of the smaller Montana ski areas and had never heard of Great Divide. If anyone could give me a short overview of the area, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Check out Discovery Basin (Disco) has everything you're looking for except crowds. It's about an hour and a half drive from Lost Trail.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I thoroughly enjoyed the vibe at Showdown and happened to ski it on that exceedingly rare 18" day last year.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Thx for Bridger beta. That place caused me to flunk out of MSU…..twice, want to make sure my kid experiences that place early in life, in true dirtbag fashion, very soon.
    Man... if it's been a while since you've skied there, I think you're gonna be pleased with the changes. The lift layout is the best it's ever been. Slushmans speaks for itself of course, but the new Bridger lift skis so damn well since the Deer Park lift was torn out and the roads were erased from Bronco/Sluice/Ptarm faces and AvyGulch.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Man... if it's been a while since you've skied there, I think you're gonna be pleased with the changes. The lift layout is the best it's ever been. Slushmans speaks for itself of course, but the new Bridger lift skis so damn well since the Deer Park lift was torn out and the roads were erased from Bronco/Sluice/Ptarm faces and AvyGulch.
    Last time I skied there we were skiing Slushmans on ankle high leather tele boots, 205cm skinny ass “tele” skis about 55cm wide, and the chairlift didn’t exist. Yeah, I’m that old

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    It's the local Helena hill, pretty affordable, nothing epic, fun on a powder day but does get scoured by the winds blowing over the Continental Divide so it can be pretty scrappy sometimes. Bills itself as "Montana's Sunniest Ski Area" which speaks to their marketing genius and general philosophy of making the best of what they have. No steeps but fun groomers and tree skiing.
    An accurate review. Great Divide epitomizes Montana skiing: no frills, cheap beer, a live and let live attitude, uncrowded slopes, and a laid back vibe. You can usually find powder somewhere on the hill if you're willing to traverse a bit. And most important: the best damn cheesy fries in Montana!

I'm tossing around the idea of stringing together a few of the smaller areas. If anyone could give me a short overview of the area, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Here is a 2-week vacation all planned out for you. Every one of these places is fun.

https://www.visitmt.com/places-to-go...as-and-resorts

Quote Originally Posted by ski counselor View Post
    Great Divide epitomizes Montana skiing: the best damn cheesy fries in Montana!
    One of the cute things about Montana ski areas is that many are known for something on the menu at the day lodge.

Great Divide = cheese fries
    Discovery = HUGE cookies
    Snowbowl = “not your Mama’s Mac & Cheese”
    Big Sky = $18 draft PBR’s

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

About to pull the trigger on a 3-day trip with my 19-yo daughter. One day at snowbowl and two days at Whitefish. Fly in and out of Missoula. Stay on Marriott points in Missoula and Whitefish respectively. Rent a car. Rent equipment to make travel easier. Anything I should watch out for? For example, I've heard you can get discount lift tickets for Whitefish at Costco?

edit to add: the mac and cheese is now on the hit list

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    About to pull the trigger on a 3-day trip with my 19-yo daughter. One day at snowbowl and two days at Whitefish. Fly in and out of Missoula. Stay on Marriott points in Missoula and Whitefish respectively. Rent a car. Rent equipment to make travel easier. Anything I should watch out for? For example, I've heard you can get discount lift tickets for Whitefish at Costco?
    You should call to confirm but I'm pretty sure those are no longer for sale.

Snowbowl - call a few of the local shops in town, but 2yrs ago I couldn't find a demo/rental for a buddy. He ended up on rentals from Snowbowl (which weren't terrible).

Gull Ski
    Bob Wards
    Scheels
    Last Best Ski and Paddle (might be touring gear only)

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

<snip> Anything I should watch out for?
    COVID?

Call LB Snow 1st ,nice fleet, good people

Since the snowy weather is taking a break around here, took a look at the SNOTEL map for early January SWE:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snow_Water_Equivalent_Percent_NRCS_1991-2020_Average_January_10_2022.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	400695

Views:	140 
Size:	945.0 KB 
ID:	400696

I know winter have a long ways to go, but it's interesting to see a line forming from Lincoln --> Butte --> I-15 corridor on the over/under 100% SWE. The center of the state just isn't seeing as much love right now. Of course, places like Bridger could soon see a repeat of last year's Jan-Feb cycle, which would be a delight.

Really hoping for this high pressure gets knocked down soon.

I remember one year that little coffee shop In the mountain mall had pbr drafts for under $1. And the convenience store across the hall had tall cans of pbr for $1.50 in a tub of ice. Less then 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums[/QUOTE]

Filled my deer tag yesterday morning before taking a walk to Montana's favorite small town

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

Great Divide = cheese fries
    Discovery = HUGE cookies
    Snowbowl = Garland's Bloody Mary and, outside the Last Run Inn, a true disdain for its customers.

FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    You should call to confirm but I'm pretty sure those are no longer for sale.
    Will do. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Snowbowl - call a few of the local shops in town, but 2yrs ago I couldn't find a demo/rental for a buddy. He ended up on rentals from Snowbowl (which weren't terrible).

Gull Ski
    Bob Wards
    Scheels
    Last Best Ski and Paddle (might be touring gear only)
    Perfect. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    COVID?

What's this covid shit I keep hearing people talk about. I'll just rub some dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    Call LB Snow 1st ,nice fleet, good people
    Thanks man.

I'll just rub some dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Since the snowy weather is taking a break around here, took a look at the SNOTEL map for early January SWE:

Views:	127 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	400695

Views:	140 
Size:	945.0 KB 
ID:	400696

I know winter have a long ways to go, but it's interesting to see a line forming from Lincoln --> Butte --> I-15 corridor on the over/under 100% SWE. The center of the state just isn't seeing as much love right now. Of course, places like Bridger could soon see a repeat of last year's Jan-Feb cycle, which would be a delight.

Really hoping for this high pressure gets knocked down soon.
    I think that would stick with a typical la nina expectation of greater snow in the PNW since the continental divide kind of separates it out.

Have you got the rental car locked down yet? I ended up flying into Helena because of that problem.

Sent from my SM-G781V using TGR Forums mobile app

You might want AWD for snowbowl road if it is looking like fresh snow. I would highly recommend the pizza from the snowbowl bar. Also Highland brewery and Big Sky brewery are near your hotel on north Reserve.

I don't think whitefish is doing Costco tickets anymore, unfortunately. Also, bring low light lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftyt View Post
    Have you got the rental car locked down yet? I ended up flying into Helena because of that problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    You might want AWD for snowbowl road if it is looking like fresh snow. I would highly recommend the pizza from the snowbowl bar. Also Highland brewery and Big Sky brewery are near your hotel on north Reserve.
    Gold! I do not have a car yet, but will be sure to lock this down so we don't get stuck. And it will be 4WD.

Per camping at Bridger: I emailed them.

So that was an error that has been corrected on our website. We are allowing camping this year by permit only. If you are interested in camping at Bridger there are a few rules that we ask you to follow.
    Camping is limited to two nights.
    There are no hook ups or camp services of any kind.
    Park in "H" Lot only, and on the uphill side ( by the trees). We plow snow to the lower side and don't want to plow you in, but will if you are in the wrong spot.
    Fires only in a fire pan or portable pit and are to be cleaned up afterward.
    No unattended fires at any time.
    No human waste in the trees please. Bathrooms are available at 7:30am in the lodges.
    Take all trash with you at the end of your stay.